What's new

La Lune Special Stone...Anybody got one?

Another report on the LeGrelot #193:
Another 13 feather light laps on new LaLune using water bottle w/ a couple drops of dish soap and two drops of Glycerin directly on the stone.
Honing feedback same as usual, right in the wheelhouse, undercut outstanding.
Cleaned and then stropped on Cordovan only w/ a few very light palm strop strokes. Total strokes on the new LaLune 40.

HHT still 5's right across, root in or out.
Visual under 100X bench scope, edge showed no signs of additional artifacts, very even & polished > no discernable difference from last honing.

Shave was better very slightly, 8 day beard, edge still not tedious to shave with. Very smooth using very light hand.
Post shave 99+ BBS no weepers or irritation. Alum block hardly noticeable, face feel great.

This outcome lines up very favorably w/my vintage extra fine stone, I don't think I could tell a difference between the two on this razor. Given the testing so far I think both stones max an edge out at about the same # of finishing strokes. So far I'm seeing no signs of edge deterioration and the edge is right where I want it - very keen - not tedious - very smooth shaving and outstanding post shave feel.

I'm sending this razor off to a member on the east coast who has a very coarse wiry beard to see what he thinks of the edge and see how it holds up to his shaving.

This evaluation leads me to think that this newly marketed example of the LaLune stone qualifies it as a very good finisher, minimal work from 12K to finish an edge to a very high standard (for my face & beard) and would>will make an excellent touch-up stone & finisher.
Even a relatively small specimen (bout) would make a great barber hone replacement. IMO a very good value, and as long as a operator has a light hand dead easy to use.
I have not used this stone w/slurry or used the included slurry stone.
I will certainly experiment on other razors and explore using the stone w/slurry perhaps like a Thuri to see what that use might have to offer.

Frank

Another report on the LeGrelot #193:
Another 13 feather light laps on new LaLune using water bottle w/ a couple drops of dish soap and two drops of Glycerin directly on the stone.
Honing feedback same as usual, right in the wheelhouse, undercut outstanding.
Cleaned and then stropped on Cordovan only w/ a few very light palm strop strokes. Total strokes on the new LaLune 40.

HHT still 5's right across, root in or out.
Visual under 100X bench scope, edge showed no signs of additional artifacts, very even & polished > no discernable difference from last honing.

Shave was better very slightly, 8 day beard, edge still not tedious to shave with. Very smooth using very light hand.
Post shave 99+ BBS no weepers or irritation. Alum block hardly noticeable, face feel great.

This outcome lines up very favorably w/my vintage extra fine stone, I don't think I could tell a difference between the two on this razor. Given the testing so far I think both stones max an edge out at about the same # of finishing strokes. So far I'm seeing no signs of edge deterioration and the edge is right where I want it - very keen - not tedious - very smooth shaving and outstanding post shave feel.

I'm sending this razor off to a member on the east coast who has a very coarse wiry beard to see what he thinks of the edge and see how it holds up to his shaving.

This evaluation leads me to think that this newly marketed example of the LaLune stone qualifies it as a very good finisher, minimal work from 12K to finish an edge to a very high standard (for my face & beard) and would>will make an excellent touch-up stone & finisher.
Even a relatively small specimen (bout) would make a great barber hone replacement. IMO a very good value, and as long as a operator has a light hand dead easy to use.
I have not used this stone w/slurry or used the included slurry stone.
I will certainly experiment on other razors and explore using the stone w/slurry perhaps like a Thuri to see what that use might have to offer.

Frank

I tried slurry, using included slurry stone,,, light pressure to generate slurry take few minutes, refresh wster only with slurry to finish water only
Result was good

I have a vintage Blue and a suspected purple. Does anyone know the historical differences between the two stones and why they look markedly different? Are they considered the same material geographically? Also, does anyone know geographically what material this is. It just seems so different than all other natural hones I have experienced?

I have a vintage Blue and a suspected purple. Does anyone know the historical differences between the two stones and why they look markedly different? Are they considered the same material geographically? Also, does anyone know geographically what material this is. It just seems so different than all other natural hones I have experienced?
Other than this no. The exact mineral composition of "La Lune" hones is: Chlorite, quartz, sericite also composed of microlites of rutiles and tourmaline.

I just order one of these stones the other day, I’ve heard real good news on the edges they give. I should have it one day this coming week, I’ll be ready to test it out.

Sorry for the delay on the pic, I sealed the sticker on the back of the stone.

Attachments

• B79500A7-237A-4493-AE8D-BDE1B49ED6B9.jpeg
    B79500A7-237A-4493-AE8D-BDE1B49ED6B9.jpeg
    763.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 351CA2C7-8528-4B53-807A-489533C03D17.jpeg
    351CA2C7-8528-4B53-807A-489533C03D17.jpeg
    868.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 59E0DBDA-858F-4E34-BCA9-B896D95D3C45.jpeg
    59E0DBDA-858F-4E34-BCA9-B896D95D3C45.jpeg
    809.1 KB · Views: 30
Sorry for the delay on the pic, I sealed the sticker on the back of the stone.
Is that a vintage one or a new one? I'd like to have one backed with a coticule or thuri. i have a vintage one, no label, that is like 1.3"-1.5" thick that is awesome. I recently started using a small lpb slurry stone on it and I think finer coticule slurry has made far, far better and smoother edges than when I use slurry from the lune with a diamond plate, but keenness doesn't seemed to be sacrificed at all. I don't like shaving off coticules much because I feel like they can't get my edge sharp enough(I've always used washitas and arks and they do SHARP very well) except on one vintage la veinette natural combo I have. Even then, I prefer a keener edge. Using that line as a base stone with coticule slurry has been a game changer.

Is that a vintage one or a new one? I'd like to have one backed with a coticule or thuri. i have a vintage one, no label, that is like 1.3"-1.5" thick that is awesome. I recently started using a small lpb slurry stone on it and I think finer coticule slurry has made far, far better and smoother edges than when I use slurry from the lune with a diamond plate, but keenness doesn't seemed to be sacrificed at all. I don't like shaving off coticules much because I feel like they can't get my edge sharp enough(I've always used washitas and arks and they do SHARP very well) except on one vintage la veinette natural combo I have. Even then, I prefer a keener edge. Using that line as a base stone with coticule slurry has been a game changer.
Mines the new ones that Griffith Shaving Goods is selling. I’ve only used mine with the Norton’s Mineral Oil. It’s a tricky stone to me cause one stroke over on my razor, and it kills the edge or I’ve got a lightsaber, I’ve found on this stone that 4 laps is a perfect Smooth and Keen edge, but if I bump it to like 8 laps that’s just way too much. Yeah having it backed with a very nice Coticule or Thuri would be awesome. I’m gonna try your method on mine where it’s not a vintage one, and see if these newer ones give the same edge. Thanks for sharing your method with us.

Last edited:

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I’m not an expert on these stones, I have 3. A ‘Special Stone’ is not the vintage or modern purple stone I believe, it’s ‘blue’? Same stone, both images dry, just a different angle.

67B3261D-E123-4498-A414-88E1FEA219CA.jpeg
B6598D7F-6E4F-4908-B213-2B8A98EB4512.jpeg

Mines the new ones that Griffith Shaving Goods is selling. I’ve only used mine with the Norton’s Mineral Oil. It’s a tricky stone to me cause one stroke over on my razor, and it kills the edge or I’ve got a lightsaber, I’ve found on this stone that 4 laps is a perfect Smooth and Keen edge, but if I bump it to like 8 laps that’s just way too much. Yeah having it backed with a very nice Coticule or Thuri would be awesome. I’m gonna try your method on mine where it’s not a vintage one, and see if these newer ones give the same edge. Thanks for sharing your method with us.
I've heard a lot of care and time was taken to hunt down the original quarry. Now, if that's true or not who knows but the miner but I've heard they are great stones. I didn't use mine for anything but knives for a long time but lpb slurry, followed by a super light bbw slurry was very nice. Tonight I did tons of laps on the lune with oil(oil completely changes about 20 laps on a small 4.5" black ark then 30 laps on a very fine lyn idwal and it was great but those last two stones were completely unnecessary just me being picky

Last edited:
Steve I’m got a similar stone like that, it slurries very easy but it has the same feel as the La Lune stone. I don’t know if it’s a La Lune in a different color but the 2 are very similar. Here’s some pics.

Attachments

• 52A69DDE-E0F2-4FF3-BA81-D902248FEEF5.jpeg
    52A69DDE-E0F2-4FF3-BA81-D902248FEEF5.jpeg
    991.9 KB · Views: 14
  • C8D80472-03C6-4F8E-B495-188D71250B06.jpeg
    C8D80472-03C6-4F8E-B495-188D71250B06.jpeg
    905.1 KB · Views: 14
  • FE410D34-74AF-467E-9E43-E7CDF75FC02B.jpeg
    FE410D34-74AF-467E-9E43-E7CDF75FC02B.jpeg
    945.9 KB · Views: 14
Very nice stone, and very nice box too! I really need to get to work on some boxes.
Steve I’m got a similar stone like that, it slurries very easy but it has the same feel as the La Lune stone. I don’t know if it’s a La Lune in a different color but the 2 are very similar. Here’s some pics.

I've heard a lot of care and time was taken to hunt down the original quarry. Now, if that's true or not who knows but the miner but I've heard they are great stones. I didn't use mine for anything but knives for a long time but lpb slurry, followed by a super light bbw slurry was very nice
Once I figured mine out, I’ve been enjoying the shaves from it. I watched a YouTube video that was I think around 10 years old and the gentleman was honing on a La lune stone same sticker as mine on the back but his seemed to be an extremely hard stone harder than the one I own, and it seemed that the La Lune he was using was a very slow stone unlike mine, but I don’t know what progression he worked up from. Not sure how to post the video but the title of the YouTube video is.

La Lune Special hone​

Maksim Enevoldsen made the video, he’s The Owner of The Japanese Natural Stone.

Last edited:
Once I figured mine out, I’ve been enjoying the shaves from it. I watched a YouTube video that was I think around 10 years old and the gentleman was honing on a La lune stone same sticker as mine on the back but his seemed to be an extremely hard stone harder than the one I own, and it seemed that the La Lune he was using was a very slow stone unlike mine, but I don’t know what progression he worked up from. Not sure how to post the video but the title of the YouTube video is.

La Lune Special hone​

Maksim Enevoldsen made the video, he’s The Owner of The Japanese Natural Stone.
The one I have that I'm sure is a La lune is a very hard slate. It doesn't like to slurry hardly at all. I got another purple stone(much thinner, little shorter) that seemed to be the same material and a black one that seemed the same. They are all fast but only the thick purple one is very fine.

Mine 8x2.5 from Griffiths, is hard as well doesn’t slurry easy
Ive usef light slurry on one side only
I also use other side( removed my sticker), oil or glycerin only
Mine is awesome and can create jnat or ark, thuri edges that are comfortable

Attachments

• 4D005262-F1A1-481D-B809-B18A3CA7273D.jpeg
    4D005262-F1A1-481D-B809-B18A3CA7273D.jpeg
    896.1 KB · Views: 13
Mine 8x2.5 from Griffiths, is hard as well doesn’t slurry easy
Ive usef light slurry on one side only
I also use other side( removed my sticker), oil or glycerin only
Mine is awesome and can create jnat or ark, thuri edges that are comfortable
I recently got a green Vermont slate from them that I really enjoy, though I've had limited use of, and it's really hard like that too. I'm sure they have an agreement with a local quarryman, which in my opinion is the best way to get stone work done, hones or otherwise. I want to back a lune from Griffith with a coticule so I might buy one to slap on the Portuguese slate side of a non combo that I have that's a really hard/ fine coticule. Id like to try a la Lorraine and pdso at some point too. I think they are like 2 of 6 left to try on my "must try" list.

Last edited:
I recently got a green Vermont slate from them that I really enjoy, though I've had limited use of, and it's really hard like that too. I'm sure they have an agreement with a local quarryman, which in my opinion is the best way to get stone work done, hones or otherwise. I want to back a lune from Griffith with a coticule so I might buy one to slap on the Portuguese slate side of a non combo that I have that's a really hard/ fine coticule. Id like to try a la Lorraine and pdso at some point too. I think they are like 2 of 6 left to try on my "must try" list.
Here is the La Lune back side of my Les Lat. They are both finishing stones, so i am not sure how to get the best use out of both sides.

20211218_182811.jpg

I have a really hard blue/black Lalune with what seems like metallic flakes and one purple stone, which is a little softer. If i start with a milky slurry, work the slurry for a few minutes and dilute down to a misty slurry i get a really nice edge, but if i continue with water the edge seem to degrade. I am used to jnat’s, but these stones seem to benefit from skipping the water only part and using oil or other types of lubricants for finishing. One slurry dilution did take my 3k edge almost to a shave ready condition, so it seems to cut quite well. The slurry also seem to brake down finer on the black then on the purple. I suspect that the purple one auto slurry a little more, but they seem to get to the same place.
I got a really nice edge on one of my TI razors when i stopped on the black La lune on a misty slurry and used my Ark more as a post finisher.
Interesting stones. For some reason these stones do not work well with water only for me.

I have a really hard blue/black Lalune with what seems like metallic flakes and one purple stone, which is a little softer. If i start with a milky slurry, work the slurry for a few minutes and dilute down to a misty slurry i get a really nice edge, but if i continue with water the edge seem to degrade. I am used to jnat’s, but these stones seem to benefit from skipping the water only part and using oil or other types of lubricants for finishing. One slurry dilution did take my 3k edge almost to a shave ready condition, so it seems to cut quite well. The slurry also seem to brake down finer on the black then on the purple. I suspect that the purple one auto slurry a little more, but they seem to get to the same place.
I got a really nice edge on one of my TI razors when i stopped on the black La lune on a misty slurry and used my Ark more as a post finisher.
Interesting stones. For some reason these stones do not work well with water only for me.
I think I agree with you on skipping water only and going straight to oil. Running water helps but oil is where the money is.

Top Bottom