What's new

La Lune quartz and coticule garnets

Lately i have been using my La Lune slurry stones on some of my "hard" coticules. I have a few purple and one blue/black. The coticule seem to cut really fast and finish quite well if this slurry is diluted to clear water. I am trying to understand why/how these stones work so well together. I tried the same slurry stones on a jnat. Almost nothing happens. Have anyone else tried this combination with good results?
I am still trying to figure these La Lune stones out. They are really nice to use with slurry, but really not usable on water in my opinion. I do not like honing on oil or any lubrication.
The slurry from these stones seem to brake down really nice.

Originally the La Lune hones were sold for use with oil afaik and the guys cutting the new stones also recommend that the best edge is achieved on oil or water/glycerine mixture.

Water/glycerine might be your best option if you ever want to try finishing without a slurry in the future and don't want to use an oil.

I only tend to use slurry when doing one stone honing to remove stria from the bevel set stone. IMO the keenest edges are achieved with no slurry but slurry can certainly tame the harshness that can come with an edge honed on water.

Lately i have been using my La Lune slurry stones on some of my "hard" coticules. I have a few purple and one blue/black. The coticule seem to cut really fast and finish quite well if this slurry is diluted to clear water. I am trying to understand why/how these stones work so well together. I tried the same slurry stones on a jnat. Almost nothing happens. Have anyone else tried this combination with good results?
I am still trying to figure these La Lune stones out. They are really nice to use with slurry, but really not usable on water in my opinion. I do not like honing on oil or any lubrication.
The slurry from these stones seem to brake down really nice.
I use a lpb slurry stone on my old suspected la lune to take some of the harshness of the stone, my new one doesn't really need it.

I use a lpb slurry stone on my old suspected la lune to take some of the harshness of the stone, my new one doesn't really need it.
I have also tried coticule slurry from different layers on my la lune stone. I use the La lune slurry stone on coticules that are on the harder side.
The La lune stones i have are really hard. The results may still be good if they are used with coticule slurry just to smooth out the edge a little. I need to give this one more try. I have different coticule slurry stones. My LPB feels a little more grainy then my LV and Les lat when used on the La lune. I seems to cut fast slurry stone.
I wonder if there is a difference in the garnet size or if the garnet density is just different. You might end up the same place, who knows.

I have also tried coticule slurry from different layers on my la lune stone. I use the La lune slurry stone on coticules that are on the harder side.
The La lune stones i have are really hard. The results may still be good if they are used with coticule slurry just to smooth out the edge a little. I need to give this one more try. I have different coticule slurry stones. My LPB feels a little more grainy then my LV and Les lat when used on the La lune. I seems to cut fast slurry stone.
I wonder if there is a difference in the garnet size or if the garnet density is just different. You might end up the same place, who knows.
That might be an experiment I undertake at some point.

Top Bottom