What's new

La lune progression?

Has anyone ever used a slurry on la lune to set the bevel on a razor and bring it up to finish? I would imagine itd have to be fairly precise work but if they can eat an edge as fast as they do im willing to bet you could do a whole progression on a slurry of you watched it very closely. Would it be a comfortable shave? Highly doubtful, but i can not escape I'm insatiable curiosity for information on everything "natural hone" so i figured id ask the folks i know to be premier experts on abrasive geological oddities. 20210807_130152.jpg

No, not yet. Maybe i'll try in a little bit. Ive been playing with the thuringian this morning, and I'm still not overly impressed. I see the draw to them but i haven't figured out how to get a super sharp edge on it. Les latneuses on the other hand, i love. I can get really keen edges, fast when using hybrid side as a finisher. Way sharper than most coticules anyway they at least actually feel sharp.

I can do a full progression on the blue la lune. From a boot sale ok razor, to treetoping champion. Haven't managed yet to get as good a shave than on the purple. Sharp but aggressive on the skin.

Using both stones, yep, superb edges. I drop a picture those next days. I use the 3,5x1 as rubbing stones, and 8" and 12" for base stones.

Yes, a thick slurry can set a bevel and depending on the stone can finish with a thinned slurry progression and finished on oil. I use Smiths.

I have not tried the new stones but have several vintage stone.

Make a thick slurry, should be easy to do, hone circles until the bevels meet. Look straight down on the edge, you should only see a few shiny reflections, from slurry impact damage.

Strop 20 laps on linen.

Wipe off half of the slurry with a sponge, add water and do X strokes until you have a more uniform stria pattern and straighter edge. Again, look straight down on the edge.

Wipe off half of the slurry and re wet the stone. Continue to do X laps to refine the bevel and edge. You should have a whisper thin slurry use lighter pressure.

Strop 20 laps on linen.

When you have a refined stria bevel pattern and straight edge, wash the stone, add 4-5 drops of oil on a wet stone face, more if you have a large stone. Do more X strokes to refine the bevel and edge, you will see much of the stria disappear and get a near mirror polish on the bevel.

Add water and oil as needed.

Same technique works well on most slates, Matt has good video on a similar technique.

Le Lune Sharpening Stone - Is it Legit?

I think matt was not using stone at its potential but he was doing his initial tests
My lune is used only as a finisher
16-20 x glycerin water, i also use spline leading strokes
8x3, 2.5 runway
Stones quality also applies,, not all jnats / Arkansas stones ,say Ozuka or same type stones are the same,
Not all stones or naturals are same , some stones better for razors,,,
My lune seems like a choice cut and excellent performance
My blk surgical is definitely a choice cut rock
So quality of natural matters in my opinion
I did experiment raising a slurry one time and it was good, but i bring a good edge to lune to finish , this is my preferred method
I took sticker off and use both sides
One side been slurried, side with blemish is butter smooth
Haven’t used lune few wks as blk surgical landed and im testing ark, and a new jnat,,totally different beast and edges,,comfortable thuri like with sharpness can be accomplished with lune
proxy.php

proxy.php

I think matt was not using stone at its potential but he was doing his initial tests
My lune is used only as a finisher
16-20 x glycerin water, i also use spline leading strokes
8x3, 2.5 runway
Stones quality also applies,, not all jnats / Arkansas stones ,say Ozuka or same type stones are the same,
Not all stones or naturals are same , some stones better for razors,,,
My lune seems like a choice cut and excellent performance
My blk surgical is definitely a choice cut rock
So quality of natural matters in my opinion
I did experiment raising a slurry one time and it was good, but i bring a good edge to lune to finish , this is my preferred method
I took sticker off and use both sides
One side been slurried, side with blemish is butter smooth
Haven’t used lune few wks as blk surgical landed and im testing ark, and a new jnat,,totally different beast and edges,,comfortable thuri like with sharpness can be accomplished with lune
proxy.php

proxy.php

Wanted to also say im still testing lune not an expert but still testing

I can do a full progression on the blue la lune. From a boot sale ok razor, to treetoping champion. Haven't managed yet to get as good a shave than on the purple. Sharp but aggressive on the skin.

Using both stones, yep, superb edges. I drop a picture those next days. I use the 3,5x1 as rubbing stones, and 8" and 12" for base stones.
I agree the purple ones don't get it quite there. I dug up this stone yesterday and it behaves almost exactly like the black lune but it's actually faster which is insane. I thought it was a novaculite river stone because i find them around here, i wanted to make a pocket polishing stone for work but i got far more than i expected. I really want to find out what it is so i can cut a cheese block out of it for a finishing stone. A 10x3x3 and itd only take 1 full stroke to finish a blade on that runway. 20210826_112248.jpg20210826_112255.jpg

Top Bottom