What's new

La Faulx by Atelier Durdan Pass Around…..

So, here goes another tour pass around that has been given the green light by the B&B Mods team (just to make sure everything is on the level) and I thank them once again for allowing this to run and take its course. Much appreciated Gents. Special thanks to @Toothpick for his courteous and prompt replies...:thumbup:

80A8FD1F-7E98-4280-A282-7D7DD364C378.jpeg

D573D6EF-1FA5-459F-8846-0E880FD8F818.jpeg

68B8E0D3-C3A2-405F-BFF1-7580498D57BC.jpeg

83833389-7C42-4DF4-84CA-B35850C821C8.jpeg

B389E3B9-5954-4AE8-8EDA-7FFE326B9071.jpeg

I would also like to take a quick moment to thank the sponsor of this tour pass around, Augustin from @Atelier DURDAN for making this possible and allowing us the opportunity to try a truly wonderfully crafted razor for our enjoyment. I/We greatly appreciate the generosity and kindness extended to us by this artisan producer in experiencing one of his exquisite creations.

I anticipate in starting this pass-around within a week so, to those who have never tried and would be interested in taking the La Faulx Artist Club style SE for a test shave run, please read on….:drool:

General Requirements for Participation
Active B&B members in "good standing" are welcome to send me a PM (optional) regarding participating in the tour pass-around. I would suggest active and good standing infers you have been around B&B for at least a few months (3months and at least 50-75 posts) and are actively participating in the community. If you are active on other shaving forums and are new to B&B, I will take that into consideration. And if you do not qualify today but have interest, you may become eligible as the tour unfolds..... so please feel free to send me a PM and I can add you to the "reserve" list.

Following are the rules which are simply intended to keep the tour fair, fun, and safe.

1. Please limit your time with the gear to 7 days. This should be enough time for some quality shaves and impressions. There will be exceptions, and if you know ahead of time your schedule will be limited (e.g., vacation, job constraints, travel) please let me know so we can adjust the order and keep the momentum going.

2. The package will contain a La Faulx SE Razor and I will include two blade cartridge packs, a Schick Proline & Feather Professional blades. You're more than welcome to use your own of course. The blade package should allow for at least 20 participants to try the razor assuming those participants have no AC blades on hand. If we have more participants than the supplied blades will accommodate, I will send additional blades onto the road when we reach that point.

3. I am shipping the razor clean and sterilized. Please do the same before handing it off to the next member/participant. Soap/warm water, Isopropy, Barbecide and Scrubby Bubbles are fine. No harsh chemicals that contain ammonia or bleach. Also no hard brushes of any kind as not to scratch up the finish. The manufacturer is aware that it will be impossible to keep it at an impeccable state due to wear, tear and use while one shaves, just be mindful and take the best care possible while it is in your possession.

4. Carefully wrap and ship the package in the same box (unless damaged from shipping & handling then the user would need to replace with another small priority box) as the pass around will be using USPS Priority as the sole shipping provider. It will be shipping in a small Priority Mail flat rate box to maintain consistency and the best potential protection possible. The retail price of the razor is over $400US and there is an expectation that each participant insure the package for $400 in order to recoup most of the costs should something go awry. Total costs for Priority Mail & insurance will be in the range of $12.00-$18.00US per participant, depending on region from shipping which you might consider as the "cost of admission" for the tour. If you find the costs of shipping & insuring the item unreasonable or have no access to a US Mail facility in your area, please do not sign up for the pass around. Once you are done with your shaves and time with the razor, you must provide proof of tracking & insurance via a pm to me so that I may track the package during shipping. Also, it allows me to file a proper claim if the razor were to be damaged, lost in transit or just drops from the grid. This is a must and no other exceptions will be permitted!

5. Communicate. Please post in this thread when you receive the razor and when it ships. Upon receipt, please contact the next person on the list in order to have their shipping information on-hand when your time with the razor is over. Please PM me as needed or if you have any questions. It is never fun to track you down if you are in possession of the razor and have gone off the grid.

6. Post Reviews! Please share your impressions, good or bad, with your fellow B&B members. I am in no way affiliated with the vendor and am simply sharing so that members can try the razor and share their experience. And yes, we’d love to see your pics, Gents!!!

7. Have fun.

Just copy from here and paste it to your post with your screen name/tag.

La Faulx Pass Around List.
GlazedBoker

My first two impressions will be brief and I will give a thorough and full summation/analysis of my experience & time with the La Faulx on my final day with it.

Last night was my first shave with the La Faulx. It is unique, elegant and total work of art from the fit and finish. The guard is unique with a long yet flowing extension that at first glance one would think this safety bar is just to long (I certainly thought it was way to much to be honest) but, to my surprise on the skin it just melded fluidly with the top cap and was never a detriment in allowing me to achieve a very close yet super comfortable shave. The first shave was with a Schick Proline and it went without a hitch. Tonight’s shave I swapped out the Schick Proline and installed a Feather Pro and it was just as good if not better than with the Proline. Smooth, smooth and very easy on the skin. Amazingly low blade feel yet the whiskers were being sliced and whisked away with the lather through the generous lather cut out that is just as unique as the razor itself.

Two excellent initial shaves that have left me rethinking the mild yet efficient conundrum all over again. This is going to be real good for the next few days. :ihih:

Last night…

A51FFD84-FDC4-46FF-906D-B8C79B97641A.jpeg

Tonight’s shave…

45B392D2-2B97-43AB-A5A3-DD8F8925BE33.jpeg

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
So, here goes another tour pass around that has been given the green light by the B&B Mods team (just to make sure everything is on the level) and I thank them once again for allowing this to run and take its course. Much appreciated Gents. Special thanks to @Toothpick for his courteous and prompt replies...:thumbup:

View attachment 1599947
View attachment 1599946
View attachment 1599948
View attachment 1599950
View attachment 1599949

I would also like to take a quick moment to thank the sponsor of this tour pass around, Augustin from @Atelier DURDAN for making this possible and allowing us the opportunity to try a truly wonderfully crafted razor for our enjoyment. I/We greatly appreciate the generosity and kindness extended to us by this artisan producer in experiencing one of his exquisite creations.

I anticipate in starting this pass-around within a week so, to those who have never tried and would be interested in taking the La Faulx Artist Club style SE for a test shave run, please read on….:drool:

General Requirements for Participation
Active B&B members in "good standing" are welcome to send me a PM (optional) regarding participating in the tour pass-around. I would suggest active and good standing infers you have been around B&B for at least a few months (3months and at least 50-75 posts) and are actively participating in the community. If you are active on other shaving forums and are new to B&B, I will take that into consideration. And if you do not qualify today but have interest, you may become eligible as the tour unfolds..... so please feel free to send me a PM and I can add you to the "reserve" list.

Following are the rules which are simply intended to keep the tour fair, fun, and safe.

1. Please limit your time with the gear to 7 days. This should be enough time for some quality shaves and impressions. There will be exceptions, and if you know ahead of time your schedule will be limited (e.g., vacation, job constraints, travel) please let me know so we can adjust the order and keep the momentum going.

2. The package will contain a La Faulx SE Razor and I will include two blade cartridge packs, a Schick Proline & Feather Professional blades. You're more than welcome to use your own of course. The blade package should allow for at least 20 participants to try the razor assuming those participants have no AC blades on hand. If we have more participants than the supplied blades will accommodate, I will send additional blades onto the road when we reach that point.

3. I am shipping the razor clean and sterilized. Please do the same before handing it off to the next member/participant. Soap/warm water, Isopropy, Barbecide and Scrubby Bubbles are fine. No harsh chemicals that contain ammonia or bleach. Also no hard brushes of any kind as not to scratch up the finish. The manufacturer is aware that it will be impossible to keep it at an impeccable state due to wear, tear and use while one shaves, just be mindful and take the best care possible while it is in your possession.

4. Carefully wrap and ship the package in the same box (unless damaged from shipping & handling then the user would need to replace with another small priority box) as the pass around will be using USPS Priority as the sole shipping provider. It will be shipping in a small Priority Mail flat rate box to maintain consistency and the best potential protection possible. The retail price of the razor is over $400US and there is an expectation that each participant insure the package for $400 in order to recoup most of the costs should something go awry. Total costs for Priority Mail & insurance will be in the range of $12.00-$18.00US per participant, depending on region from shipping which you might consider as the "cost of admission" for the tour. If you find the costs of shipping & insuring the item unreasonable or have no access to a US Mail facility in your area, please do not sign up for the pass around. Once you are done with your shaves and time with the razor, you must provide proof of tracking & insurance via a pm to me so that I may track the package during shipping. Also, it allows me to file a proper claim if the razor were to be damaged, lost in transit or just drops from the grid. This is a must and no other exceptions will be permitted!

5. Communicate. Please post in this thread when you receive the razor and when it ships. Upon receipt, please contact the next person on the list in order to have their shipping information on-hand when your time with the razor is over. Please PM me as needed or if you have any questions. It is never fun to track you down if you are in possession of the razor and have gone off the grid.

6. Post Reviews! Please share your impressions, good or bad, with your fellow B&B members. I am in no way affiliated with the vendor and am simply sharing so that members can try the razor and share their experience. And yes, we’d love to see your pics, Gents!!!

7. Have fun.

Just copy from here and paste it to your post with your screen name/tag.

GlazedBoker
2. Rudy Vey

Fabulous, fabulous shave this morning. Decided to skip a day and swap out the Feather Pro and installed a Feather Pro Super for the shave regimen today. Still silky smooth with the lightest uptick in blade feel that felt superb. Uber comfortable yet extremely vicious on two days worth of whisker growth. The razor feels practically seamless as if one with the shaver. It follows along the contours of the face & neck with the utmost of comfort and with such fluidity, it's ridiculously smooth & soft feeling. Not a single milligram of irritation and just the tiniest weeper at the corner of the mouth and stache area. Superb finish and perhaps one of the best shaves of 2023 so far. Still early but, it's still saying something with some of the heavy hitters in my shave rotation.

Next, I'll wait a few more days and try a couple of KAI blades and see how they fair.

IMG_20230205_101624.jpg

I wanted to try a KAI today but, since it’s been nearly 5 days since my last shave I stayed the course with the Feather Pro Super. Plus, the whiskers were mean and raucous just egging me on daring me in fact. Showered up, prepped my lather and got down to some serious whisker whacking business. The duties for providing the glide, slickness and overall skin protection for this shave is arguably the best soap from Ethos Grooming, Dragonsbeard V2. The protection that this stuff provides is just simply ludicrous. It should be illegal to have this good of a lather on one’s face. Elite level product, plain & simple. Lather applied now razor to face. The feel is something similar but, not quite to a Cobra Classic. The Pro Super gives this beauty of a razor that nice little edge without going over to far on blade feel. Present but, super smooth and still providing a comfortable feeling shave. Nearly 5 days of growth was gone in 2 luxurious yet extremely effective passes with a final touch up pass just to use up some lather and catch a straggler or two along the jawline and the Adam’s Apple area. For those that have had the opportunity to try or own a Paradigm Ti SE, take that same razor and marry it up with a Cobra Classic. You get both in the smoothness and comfort of the Paradigm with the efficient cutting ability of the Cobra Classic, just better with a flow or fluidity of the La Faulx on the skin that is unique yet so effective. The handle on the La Faulx gives the right amount of tactile feel where one can adjust their hand with relative ease and is nearly second nature. Handle length is just about perfect for me with weight distributed evenly throughout the whole razor.

I will get a shave or two more in with the KAI then get it ready for the next and only pass around participant at the moment @Rudy Vey and will contact him shortly for shipping info. My summation of the razor will come a few days down from now. I have been impressed and seduced simultaneously by the La Faulx with its performance and fluid design with its distinct guard feature that is unique and all its own.

Great shaves to all….

0E3EC6F7-89C5-4F6F-88F3-9A2F9CA9657F.jpeg

First shave with a KAI blade in the La Faulx. And I have to be honest here on this one. The shave was just not as good as with the Feather Pro & Super and even against the Schick Proline. Very mild feeling with what seems to be at least in my observations the least amount of blade exposure I’ve seen in the blades that I’ve used in the La Faulx. Blade feel was virtually nonexistent and that lead to extra passes and more work including applying a bit more pressure to get a decent shave. No irritation to speak of but, not an optimal choice blade if I were to establish the La Faulx to be my default daily shavIng razor. For me the La Faulx works much better with the Feather options & with the Schick Proline.

One more shave before it goes off to the next participant.

1F1263D5-BE2F-41BC-A4A1-CFF240F3FAA9.jpeg

Last shave with the La Faulx. Again, paired it with the Feather Pro Super. I can't sing enough praises of this dynamic duo. They just shave brilliantly for me. Regardless of growth whether 24 hours or 4 solid days worth, the La Faulx & Pro Super pairing is without question the best combo for my particular shaving requirements. Today it was just as though I've been shaving with the La Faulx for years as 2.5 passes were executed with complete and utter ease. No irritation, nics or discomfort of any kind. Just smooth and whisker free skin from cheeks to bottom of the neck. A stellar shave and results to back it up.

Prepping it to go as I was waiting for a new blade pack of Feathers to come in. My summation to follow. Great shaves to all....

MyMYv0q.jpg

The razor has been shipped and is on its way to the next participant on the list.

GlazedBoker - Completed
2. Rudy Vey - Shipped, enroute too
3. Rocket 1

GlazedBoker - Completed
2. Rudy Vey - In hand, testing
3. Rocket 1
4. Elliot

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
OK, I have finished my testing, keep my experience short.
This was so far the best razor I ever used, SE or DE. In all the shaves I had, I did not draw any blood!! Which is good, as due to my necks "topography" I often get some nicks and they bleed a bit. This razor is quite impressive to say the least. I used the Feather blade only. My only comparison razors I have left are a Schick and a Supply Single edge Pro. The La Faulx is better than the two. I even consider buying one!

I have cleaned and sanitized the razor and it will be on route to the next participant.

This was so far the best razor I ever used, SE or DE. In all the shaves I had, I did not draw any blood!! Which is good, as due to my necks "topography" I often get some nicks and they bleed a bit. This razor is quite impressive to say the least. I used the Feather blade only. My only comparison razors I have left are a Schick and a Supply Single edge Pro. The La Faulx is better than the two. I even consider buying one!

I have cleaned and sanitized the razor and it will be on route to the next participant.

Excellent write up & glad you enjoyed the shaves. :thumbup1:

This reminds me that I haven't written my summation as of yet. Need to get it done....

GlazedBoker - Completed
2. Rudy Vey - Completed
3. Rocket 1 - Shipped, enroute too
4. Elliot

Woah! I was considering his DE, but as someone who enjoys another AC… this is tempting to say the least!!

GlazedBoker - Completed
2. Rudy Vey - Completed
3. Rocket 1 - Shipped, enroute too
4. Elliot
5. Garyg

Hello New Friend

La Faulx SS Evaluation Series
Session 1

AESTHETICS

I recall the first time Atelier DURDAN provided sample renderings and images of its inaugural razor concept. It was clear that the design aesthetic was driven by well formed and thoughtful consideration. And the La Faulx continues in that tradition. If I had to employ a single description for this razor it would be: sumptuous. A build quality that exudes depth and strength overlaid by a pleasing knurling of “pineapple” patterned cuts, interceded by smooth and well polished curving insets. The geometry provides a faceted reflection that further accentuates the design. I also appreciate the base of the handle with a contrasting set of concentric cuts that visually balances the other sections. The undulating patterns are further extended into the safety bar with a comforting line of repeating peaks, ready to artfully guide away departing stubble and lather.

HANDLING

The anticipated handling of this razor presented the most intrigue as I considered images and drawings representing the unique safety bar design. At certain angles it appeared almost exaggerated in terms of effective footprint from blade edge to terminus of the bar. Now in hand, I slowly rotate the assemblage under a clear wash of daylight. As the razor comes to rest at a side profile it becomes apparent that the razor name is the inspiration for its shape and design. The European scythe in particular emphasized a pronounced and plunging curvature compared to the historical American variant. And this pattern clearly echoes in the design lines of the La Faulx. Ultimately the safety bar terminates into a fine but slightly blunted edge.

However in practice it is not clear that the design inspiration fully translates into realized functional benefits. I have included aspects of the safety bar in the Performance section. I generally did not experience any drag with the design but did witness one minor drawback that is readily mitigated with a proper angle of approach.

Beyond the safety bar, the stated weight and relative percentages contributed by the head versus handle drew questions of maneuverability. The website describes a head weight of 31g and total razor weight of 100g. However, I measure a head weight of 23g and total weight of 96g. Grasping the assembled razor the weight distribution is pronounced, with a heft that feels deeply rooted in the handle. Adding to the question of maneuverability was the location of the handle’s curved insets. I often lament handle designs that dictate hand holds through deep insets, which can lead to constant adjustments during a shave session.

But fear not! There is news of joy from this handle design. Whether by chance or purpose, the top hold is well aligned with the natural balance point of the razor. In my experience, the confluence of hand hold and balance point can drive ergonomics and maneuverability, more than total weight. And throughout the shave the apparent weight diminished as I completed most of the strokes at the hold point. However at times I did find myself “choking” up on the handle when seeking alternative angles and tighter control.

PERFORMANCE

And now we come to it. I bring a history of opinions and musings when considering the Artist Club format. Early in the journey of wetshaving, I exclusively adopted the Artist Club format after less than satisfactory outcomes with traditional DE blades. Much of that period was experienced through the Razorock Hawk V2, and then later the Hawk V3 Standard and OC variants, and finally the Blackland Vector. In between those razors I dabbled with a Feather Kamisori holder as well. Interestingly, I have come full circle and now employ multiple DE razors as a primary format.

However, I still appreciate the comfort and efficiency range of the Artist Club format. While completing the initial lather for today’s shave, I wondered how effective the La Faulx would be. To further the challenge, I was staring at two days of growth with my typically unyielding beard profile. While a higher efficiency blade choice may have been more appropriate, I selected the included Schick Proline blade. Historically it was my blade of choice for the AC format. I had shipped my last pack with the sale of the Hawk V3 as it was not compatible with the Blackland Vector. The now distant memory of that blade was re-kindled as it awaited the onset of today’s shave. (Thanks to @GlazedBoker for including the Schick Prolines in the pass around)

With the La Faulx loaded and positioned at a fairly shallow angle, I carefully guided the razor head across my beard terrain. A bit of turbulence was encountered as the initial layer of multi day growth stubble was removed. I would only describe it as modest friction and occasional grabbing resulting from the extra growth. I do think a higher efficiency blade choice would have diminished this result. Overall, the WTG pass was completed with little concern or eventfulness.

With a satisfying clearing now complete, the XTG pass began. Now the full experience of the La Faulx could be considered and the result was a sublime smoothness that inspired ease and confidence. As the pass progressed, I began to develop an improved sense of the shaving angle required for maximum effectiveness. It was a more narrow range than I would generally prefer and did require an extra amount of awareness. However, the results when optimally engaged, delivered an excellent shaving experience. It was also during this pass that I began to notice another side effect of angle choice: shaving engagement. Occasionally I would find a less optimal angle that would result in skipping over stubble and the safety bar essentially acting more as a palette knife that clinically spread lather. This happened only a few times, and I don’t want to overstate the experience as it was clearly related to my lack of runtime with the razor and its somewhat unique head design.

As the shave progressed to the final ATG pass, proficiency in shaving angle and engagement also increased. However a few areas did require a bit of touch up and lead to over-shaving in the most demanding regions. All of this experience points to the need for a higher efficiency blade choice. My next shaves will move to Feather Pro and Feather Pro Supers.

Stepping back from the completed session, two tiny weepers were incurred in the mustache region as I couldn’t quite hit an optimal angle in that area after multiple attempts. However the totality of the shave was a pleasing BBS- that offered little feedback during application of post shave care. And monitoring of re-growth indicated BBS duration of approximately 8 hours.

I am definitely looking forward to upcoming shaves with the higher efficiency blade options and continued proficiency gains with this absolutely beautiful razor!

Special thanks to B&B, @GlazedBoker , and @Atelier DURDAN for providing an opportunity to enjoy the wonderful La Faulx razor.

Overall Score: 9.5 / 10

RAZOR: Atelier DURDAN La Faulx SS [SB]
BLADE: Schick Proline AC [1]
BRUSH: Rudy Vey Chief Muhle STF 25mm
LATHER: House of Mammoth Alive

la-faulx-session-1.png

Hello New Friend

Session 1

AESTHETICS

I recall the first time Atelier DURDAN provided sample renderings and images of its inaugural razor concept. It was clear that the design aesthetic was driven by well formed and thoughtful consideration. And the La Faulx continues in that tradition. If I had to employ a single description for this razor it would be: sumptuous. A build quality that exudes depth and strength overlaid by a pleasing knurling of “pineapple” patterned cuts, interceded by smooth and well polished curving insets. The geometry provides a faceted reflection that further accentuates the design. I also appreciate the base of the handle with a contrasting set of concentric cuts that visually balances the other sections. The undulating patterns are further extended into the safety bar with a comforting line of repeating peaks, ready to artfully guide away departing stubble and lather.

HANDLING

The anticipated handling of this razor presented the most intrigue as I considered images and drawings representing the unique safety bar design. At certain angles it appeared almost exaggerated in terms of effective footprint from blade edge to terminus of the bar. Now in hand, I slowly rotate the assemblage under a clear wash of daylight. As the razor comes to rest at a side profile it becomes apparent that the razor name is the inspiration for its shape and design. The European scythe in particular emphasized a pronounced and plunging curvature compared to the historical American variant. And this pattern clearly echoes in the design lines of the La Faulx. Ultimately the safety bar terminates into a fine but slightly blunted edge.

However in practice it is not clear that the design inspiration fully translates into realized functional benefits. I have included aspects of the safety bar in the Performance section. I generally did not experience any drag with the design but did witness one minor drawback that is readily mitigated with a proper angle of approach.

Beyond the safety bar, the stated weight and relative percentages contributed by the head versus handle drew questions of maneuverability. The website describes a head weight of 31g and total razor weight of 100g. However, I measure a head weight of 23g and total weight of 96g. Grasping the assembled razor the weight distribution is pronounced, with a heft that feels deeply rooted in the handle. Adding to the question of maneuverability was the location of the handle’s curved insets. I often lament handle designs that dictate hand holds through deep insets, which can lead to constant adjustments during a shave session.

But fear not! There is news of joy from this handle design. Whether by chance or purpose, the top hold is well aligned with the natural balance point of the razor. In my experience, the confluence of hand hold and balance point can drive ergonomics and maneuverability, more than total weight. And throughout the shave the apparent weight diminished as I completed most of the strokes at the hold point. However at times I did find myself “choking” up on the handle when seeking alternative angles and tighter control.

PERFORMANCE

And now we come to it. I bring a history of opinions and musings when considering the Artist Club format. Early in the journey of wetshaving, I exclusively adopted the Artist Club format after less than satisfactory outcomes with traditional DE blades. Much of that period was experienced through the Razorock Hawk V2, and then later the Hawk V3 Standard and OC variants, and finally the Blackland Vector. In between those razors I dabbled with a Feather Kamisori holder as well. Interestingly, I have come full circle and now employ multiple DE razors as a primary format.

However, I still appreciate the comfort and efficiency range of the Artist Club format. While completing the initial lather for today’s shave, I wondered how effective the La Faulx would be. To further the challenge, I was staring at two days of growth with my typically unyielding beard profile. While a higher efficiency blade choice may have been more appropriate, I selected the included Schick Proline blade. Historically it was my blade of choice for the AC format. I had shipped my last pack with the sale of the Hawk V3 as it was not compatible with the Blackland Vector. The now distant memory of that blade was re-kindled as it awaited the onset of today’s shave. (Thanks to @GlazedBoker for including the Schick Prolines in the pass around)

With the La Faulx loaded and positioned at a fairly shallow angle, I carefully guided the razor head across my beard terrain. A bit of turbulence was encountered as the initial layer of multi day growth stubble was removed. I would only describe it as modest friction and occasional grabbing resulting from the extra growth. I do think a higher efficiency blade choice would have diminished this result. Overall, the WTG pass was completed with little concern or eventfulness.

With a satisfying clearing now complete, the XTG pass began. Now the full experience of the La Faulx could be considered and the result was a sublime smoothness that inspired ease and confidence. As the pass progressed, I began to develop an improved sense of the shaving angle required for maximum effectiveness. It was a more narrow range than I would generally prefer and did require an extra amount of awareness. However, the results when optimally engaged, delivered an excellent shaving experience. It was also during this pass that I began to notice another side effect of angle choice: shaving engagement. Occasionally I would find a less optimal angle that would result in skipping over stubble and the safety bar essentially acting more as a palette knife that clinically spread lather. This happened only a few times, and I don’t want to overstate the experience as it was clearly related to my lack of runtime with the razor and its somewhat unique head design.

As the shave progressed to the final ATG pass, proficiency in shaving angle and engagement also increased. However a few areas did require a bit of touch up and lead to over-shaving in the most demanding regions. All of this experience points to the need for a higher efficiency blade choice. My next shaves will move to Feather Pro and Feather Pro Supers.

Stepping back from the completed session, two tiny weepers were incurred in the mustache region as I couldn’t quite hit an optimal angle in that area after multiple attempts. However the totality of the shave was a pleasing BBS- that offered little feedback during application of post shave care. And monitoring of re-growth indicated BBS duration of approximately 8 hours.

I am definitely looking forward to upcoming shaves with the higher efficiency blade options and continued proficiency gains with this absolutely beautiful razor!

Special thanks to B&B, @GlazedBoker , and @Atelier DURDAN for providing an opportunity to enjoy the wonderful La Faulx razor.

Overall Score: 9.5 / 10

BLADE: Schick Proline AC [1]

View attachment 1614344
It’s gonna be very hard for me to decide between this and his DE.

Metamorphosis

Session 2

AESTHETICS AND HANDLING

Please see notes from Session 1 report.

PERFORMANCE

A transformative shaving session occurred today with the support of a Feather Pro Super blade. After applying another delightful lather of House of Mammoth Alive, I somewhat gingerly approached the first downward stroke of a WTG pass. And in that moment, I became confident today’s effort would result in an outstanding shave. With just a slight correction in angle, the pass continued with glee and ease. An enhanced level of comfort and safety elevated my confidence and speed. But I did not succumb to full reckless abandon as a level of respect must be maintained for the Pro Super blade. While I would not consider this blade harsh, it can lead to a level of post shave feedback in some razors, without vigilance of applied pressure. But that seemed less necessary with the La Faulx.

With WTG complete, I quickly moved through a XTG pass. Once again no danger was present and only swaths of stubble feared the combination of the La Faulx and Pro Super blade. And the ATG pass was no different. Although I did still slightly struggle with achieving an optimal angle in the mustache area. However, the results were significantly improved over Session 1. The only casualty was a small weeper on the right side mustache from a gluttonous fit of applying one additional touch up. I feel confident that my proficiency will continue to improve and fully master this section of beard terrain. Also no issues today with missing shaving angle engagement and spreading lather with the safety bar.

After post care application a very slight amount of feedback was present on the jawline and maybe just a hint on the right side neckline. The apparent safety and comfort with the Feather Pro Super combination is impressive. And today’s results were simply an outstanding BBS. I am excited to evaluate this configuration with the Ti variant.

Pleasant shaves to all!

Overall Score: 9.8 / 10

BLADE: Feather Pro Super AC [1]

la-faulx-session-ss-2.png

Top Bottom