What's new

l forgot to dry my brush, and left it out all day. Is it ok to use?

When the end of the day came, to my horror, I saw my brush there still damp with lather from the morning. My question is: is it still safe to use, or is there mold in there?

When I saw it, I rinsed out the lather and dried it on a towel. and now it's dry again.

But during those hours that it was sitting there all wet, is it still safe to use, or is there mold in there?

First time in 13 years.

Any suggestions?

Graydog

Biblical Innards
When I get a new badger I will wash it out to get rid of the animal smell. I lather it up and let the lather sit over night and then winse it out.

Thanks for the info. That's just not right, cuz then you mix up the shave creams, if they were using more than one back in the day.

Love the sig, by the way. I saw the "Gruyere" and immediately thought of the cheese by the same name. :001_smile

If I had a dollar for all the times I rushed my morning ritual and left a soapy brush in a bowl, well you know the punch line. It happens, the more pedantic types might cringe at the though but your brush will likely live another day. Dry and care for as per the normal practice and you should be fine. If you do this more often than not your brushes life will suffer but thats about it.

I’m with the other gents...it should be fine!

Don’t let it happen again.
63B29379-5B2C-4A39-B842-AFE000A62ED4.gif

:001_tt2:

Thanks for the info. That's just not right, cuz then you mix up the shave creams, if they were using more than one back in the day.

Love the sig, by the way. I saw the "Gruyere" and immediately thought of the cheese by the same name. :001_smile

I don't believe most people used more than one back in the day. Most people (even today) don't care that much about shaving (techniques, products, etc) as we do on here.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
IMG_20191207_190221582.jpg

This is my experiment. No rinse of bowl or brush since July of 2019 in a thread I started about "Just like Grampa used to shave."

My face is still intact.

View attachment 1041869
This is my experiment. No rinse of bowl or brush since July of 2019 in a thread I started about "Just like Grampa used to shave."

My face is still intact.

Does the brush shed hairs? Those brushes were common at Sally's Beauty Supply like a decade ago and I always felt like they would be heavy shedders. Plus wasn't a fan of the handle or the price.

FarmerTan

Does the brush shed hairs? Those brushes were common at Sally's Beauty Supply like a decade ago and I always felt like they would be heavy shedders. Plus wasn't a fan of the handle or the price.
Lol! Yep, my first, and worst brush. Sheds like crazy. I'm about to give up on it.

Lol! Yep, my first, and worst brush. Sheds like crazy. I'm about to give up on it.

Last comment to avoid overtaking the thread. I'm tempted to buy a $1 boar (looks like a toy with the thinnest sparsest knot tbh) off aliexpress for the heck of it to see how much value you can get from 1-2 usd online.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Considering I drank from a mug in my truck yesterday and Friday and determined yesterday that there were chunks of mold floating it it and am still here, you're brush will probably pull through. :)

In older times, people did not always rinse out their brushes and they did not come to harm. Just rinse it out with hot water and should be fine.

Very true, rinsing it would have been considered a huge waste of soap and a lesser waste of time. Probably is today, especially with synthetic brushes. Many of us rotate though so this isn't practical.

When I start my sabbatical and go 3017 on soaps, I may well do that, at least with a synthetic just to live like the other half did.

When I break in a new brush, I lather it up and let it sit at least overnight so I'm sure it's ok. I think making it a practice of not rinsing and drying would certainly harm the knot over time, although some folks did just that in years past.

FarmerTan

No, Jan 1 2020 I'm going to stop rotating soaps and do each one until done.
You are nuts! I just can't do that. I'd go crazy (er) without the variety!

Good luck my friend. If anyone on here can do it, it's you!

It should be fine. Both of my grandfathers only had one brush each, and neither had any issues due to their shaving brushes.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom