What's new

"kyle method"

Ok - I keep learning things in these forums that are phenominal to my shaves - yet are what should be considered basics that I have had no one to show me.
For instance - I learned the importance of pulling the skin taut behind the razor and I was amazed at the quality of the shave.
And just this morning I read about the "kyle method" of holding the DE at the very end with either 2 or 3 fingers.
So I tried it today along with the taut pulls and had one of the best shaves ever!
SO WHAT ELSE HAVE I BEEN MISSING!!!!
I have been getting good shaves for a few months now just by wetshaving with a brush, good cream, and Double Edge.
And to think I am just now really learning how to use them CORRECTLY.
It helps to have a method for me to go by.
I hadn't been having trouble with the correct angle, but I had been apparently bearing down too hard because I would sometimes get razor burn in a few places.
Not today! Thanks!
If anyone has any other tips/tricks/basic or advanced techniques that will help - please share!
-phil

The Kyle Grip really reveals how the razor can work fine with very light pressure. I've not been able to do a whole shave with that grip, but whenever I feel I might be pressing too hard, I revert to the grip to get the feel once more.

giraffejumper said:
Ok - I keep learning things in these forums that are phenominal to my shaves - yet are what should be considered basics that I have had no one to show me.
For instance - I learned the importance of pulling the skin taut behind the razor and I was amazed at the quality of the shave.
And just this morning I read about the "kyle method" of holding the DE at the very end with either 2 or 3 fingers.
So I tried it today along with the taut pulls and had one of the best shaves ever!
SO WHAT ELSE HAVE I BEEN MISSING!!!!
I have been getting good shaves for a few months now just by wetshaving with a brush, good cream, and Double Edge.
And to think I am just now really learning how to use them CORRECTLY.
It helps to have a method for me to go by.
I hadn't been having trouble with the correct angle, but I had been apparently bearing down too hard because I would sometimes get razor burn in a few places.
Not today! Thanks!
If anyone has any other tips/tricks/basic or advanced techniques that will help - please share!
-phil
Phil,
I'm not surprised that the Kyle method is working well for you. Once you have been doing this for a month or so, you will find that your shaves will become consistently better as you learn "little" things. You are now on the top of the DE learning curve...and it will only get better from here.

I can never hold the razor the way Kyle suggests. I normally have three fingers on one side and my thumb on the other, so I am basically holding the entire handle. Then again I do a pretty good job of knowning how much pressure to apply.

Like one of the posters above commented, I don't always do my whole shave with the Kyle grip, but I now go back to it whenever I feel my technique slipping. Its a good way to focus on proper grip and a light touch.

This is all starting to remind me of an apprentice in a Kung Fu movie as he begins his infinite road to becoming a master.
"Skin Taut Style" helped give me very smooth and close shaves.
"Kyle Style Grip" has helped me with angle and pressure.
Now if I could just find "Amazingly Slick Creamy Lather Style !!!"
Just the 2 above have changed how good my shaves are in a couple of weeks. So I don't care if Kyle gets a big head or not - he deserves it!
And I didn't even hear it directly from him!
Thanks to Kyle and everyone else on these forums that I am learning so much from!
Any LatherMasters want to teach a young grasshopper "LatherStyle"?!
-phil

Phil - That picture is way scary.

Also, I have not had much luck with the Kyle Style. I find a can apply a lighter pressure and have more control over the angle by cradling pretty much the whole handle in my fingers. I guess just shows YMMV....

Thanks for the links LiesureDude.
The only time I have to resort back to holding the razor normally is when I need to get under my nose.
And it helps with the pressure there by already holding it KyleStyle before I get there anyway.
Any other tips anyone has will be highy appreciated.
And the bowl does work nicely for building lather - thanks.
I had to learn the hard way about adding too much water to begin with. The starting over and wasting cream sucked, so now I shake the brush first and then add drips of water until it gets creamy.
But my problem now is trying to figure out JUST how creamy I can get it before it gets too watery.
-phil

That last problem is solved purely by experience, I fear. Or by watching, in person, a demo. I recall when I learned how to cook crepes---they get a certain look when they're done, and having someone who knew the drill take us through it and point out what to look for made all the difference. No description could have done that.

So, in a way, you're on your own. But you might try, from day to day, adding a little bit more water than the day before until you can see that you've overdone it. That'll give you an idea of the boundary.

Another random thought: the key characteristic, I've read, of fighter planes is not their specified minimal turning radius, but the degree of courage/recklessness in the pilot who will actually go for that radius. Most pilots won't push the edge. (There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old, bold pilots.)

moses said:
Phil - That picture is way scary.

You just don't understand the deep inner meaning of Shaolin Soccer (pretty sure that's where the pic is from), in which we learn that Kung Fu is useful not only to avoid hurting yourself when slipping on a banana peel, but also is a clever way to parallel park as well as fantastic for guarding goals and slamming in long drives.

And no, I'm not kidding.

Peculiar and weird (and I have to admit I liked his "Kung Fu Hustle" better) but if you like extremely bizarre Hong Kong martial arts comedies, it has its moments.

Top Bottom