What's new

Kropp razor

Here is a ebay Razor that came from Japan, it has what I assume to be a previous owners name written on the box.
This is the first Kropp that I have owned, it took a great edge and is a smooth shaver. I have no idea how old the razor is but it sure is a keeper

Like the style of that razor, plain and simple, no fancy patterns. Original box too which is an added bonus. Both look to be in great condition as well.

I hear that when you've seen on Kropp you've seen them all and that they are the "Ford Focus" of the razor world - ubiquitous but really excellent shavers.
I just picked one up in a retro shop in Exeter yesterday when I went to meet son from college.
It looks just like the one in the OP only much more patina and I've got high hopes for it!
Using hudson_macbeth's excellent androbevel app, the bevel after honing came out at about 18deg which is a little on the fat side. Perhaps this partly goes towards explaining their reputation as good easy shavers.
I also saw a 1931 ad for an identical Kropp giving the price of the black scaled model at 10/6 which is equivalent to £20 today.
It would be amazing if new straights with this quality of production were available now at that price and amazing that it's lasted 80 years intact and ready for use!
proxy.php

A Titan is $40 shipped with decent wood scales and in most cases properly honed.
So about that range. Not bad considering they do not have the volume orders of yesteryear.

A Titan is $40 shipped with decent wood scales and in most cases properly honed.
So about that range. Not bad considering they do not have the volume orders of yesteryear.

Just looked these up on eBay and yes you're right! Research suggests these Titans are very similar to GD 800s but with a great finish.
So I guess the Kropps were like the Gold Dollars of the inter -war period, only beautifully made!

I wonder if the name comes from the sound it makes when it shaves off the whiskers.... Kropp Kropp Kropp...

Top Bottom