What's new

Korean Made Boyou DB100 Stainless Steel Razor Blade - Review

TL;DR - impressive, consistent blade, made in Korea, would be welcome in my regular rotation

$BoyouBlade_1_of_2.jpg

Background:

I had never heard of Boyou DB100 blades until @riverstyxxx (shout out and thank you) offered to share these blades (while supplies last) with fellow B&B'ers. He actually sent me a couple of different far eastern blades to try and this is the 1st of them. I've waited until after my 3rd shave so that I could give this blade a chance to show what it could do over a several days.

The Blade:

This is a Korean made Boyou DB100 Stainless Steel Blade, although it performs more like a super stainless than a regular stainless. And I really don't know much more about the manufacturer than before I received the blade. Information about them on the internet is scarce.

The blade comes double wrapped, nicely printed outer layer and an inner white wrap.On one side of the blade is English and the other side is Korean (I think). Everything about this blade is well done.

$BoyouBlade_2_of_2.jpg

My Setup:

Razor: Merkur 20C (standard Merkur 3 piece - rated as mild, having a narrower blade gap)
Soaps: I used 3 different soaps to see how the blade would perform with each of them
- Colonel Conk's Lime
- The Shave Shop's Lemomelon
- Downeast Shaving Soap's Passamaquoddy Bay Peppermint

The Results:

YMMV, but this is my experience. Shave 1 was decent (most shave 1's for me are ok but not the best) sharp with no pulling or irritation. Shaves 2 and 3 were smooth, sharp, and still no pulling or irritation. I'm going to push the blade a few more days.

This blade could easily become part of my regular rotation. It performs on par with the Russian blades, and, personally, I would put it between the Gillette 7 O'Clock Greens (the Boyou being slightly better) and the Russian Ladas (on par). As sacrilegious as this may sound, it performs better for me than the Astra SP's.

These blades are definitely worth checking out.

Thanks for the review & heads up on this blade. I am currently reviewing the GFLV blade & so far despite the drag I got a DFS with it. I have a Boyou in a red wrapper I will try next.

Thanks for the review & heads up on this blade. I am currently reviewing the GFLV blade & so far despite the drag I got a DFS with it. I have a Boyou in a red wrapper I will try next.

You're definitely right about the drag on the GFLV blade! Unfortunately it wasn't cutting it for me literally and ended up using a different razor and blade.
I had to buffer shave with the Boyou and got a DFS. Not my favorite blade to use, but I could if I had no alternative. The second shave will be the deciding factor as whether I give it an official thumbs up or down.
If you were given a YingJili blade as well, I think you will be as surprised as me how smooth it is. I liked it enough that I plan on buying some.

You're definitely right about the drag on the GFLV blade! Unfortunately it wasn't cutting it for me literally and ended up using a different razor and blade.
I had to buffer shave with the Boyou and got a DFS. Not my favorite blade to use, but I could if I had no alternative. The second shave will be the deciding factor as whether I give it an official thumbs up or down.
If you were given a YingJili blade as well, I think you will be as surprised as me how smooth it is. I liked it enough that I plan on buying some.

I did a review on the Yingjili Diamond blade. I got 2 nice smooth shaves & that was it. The third shave just didn't cut it for me.:nonod:

I have a Yingjili blade that has a gray & orange wrapper that I have not tried yet. I only tried the Diamond blade that comes with the Yingjili Razor. X2 smooth shaves & thats all she wrote.!

Oh, noes!!! :scared: I have that blade, too, to review. I didn't start with the nicest one first, did I?!?! I like to save the best one for last so that my final memories are the pleasant ones. I'll go with the GFLV next and save the Yingjili (which seems like a fun word to say) for last.

Is it GFLV - Graham Field, but Lesser Value

I have a Yingjili blade that has a gray & orange wrapper that I have not tried yet. I only tried the Diamond blade that comes with the Yingjili Razor. X2 smooth shaves & thats all she wrote.!
I think we're all trying the same blade, so it will be good to compare experiences. Different faces, different razors, different techniques, all will add to getting a good picture of these blades. For me, a decent blade should be a good balance between sharp and smooth, and last for 4 shaves. All 3 of those characteristics are important to me.

Some more info:
UPC# is 6946173399906, (5) razor blade packaging.
UPC# is 694617339913 safety razor.

Info from safety razor package: Company is "Shanghai Boyou Metal Products co, ltd", www.boyou.com.cn
Big THANK YOU to @riverstyxxx for supplying the blades for us to try.

With their website pointing to .cn, I wonder if these are North Korean blades. If it is, I think this is the very first North Korean product that I've ever tried...ever. And I'm impressed it.

Shave 4 Results

This was my 4th and final shave, and it was a DFS shave but performance has dropped a bit. The shave was very similar to the 1st shave. For me, I expect a blade to last for 4 good shaves, and this blade has met that. I also know that when performance begins to taper off, it's time to retire the blade or someone (the funny looking guy in the mirror) is going to have a bad shave.

@riverstyxxx calculated the cost to be around 16 cents a blade, so 4 cents a shave is a great price point.

I don't think these are actually manufactured in Korea , Shanghai would be the producer,and Korea the importer.....???

The ones I sent were the Yingjili Platinum, also very good. I'm starting to think the Boyou are chinese blades, imported by south korea, as [MENTION=28956]malocchio[/MENTION] suggested. The printing on the wrappers is chinese so, yeah.

Who makes the YingJili blades? The one I was given to try is a YingJili Super Stainless. I'm going to use it for the second time tomorrow and I'm hoping it's just as nice if not better than the first shave.

I used the GFLV blade for the 2nd time today. It was a nice shave but, I cannot tolerate the drag so, it will be sent to blade bank heaven today.

My second shave with the YingJili super stainless yesterday was just as comfortable as the first. Got another DFS anyway.
Today will be the second shave with the Boyou blade.

Just finished my second shave with the Boyou. I took the blade out of my Gillette President and decided to use it my my Merkur 20C just as [MENTION=108524]Grundi[/MENTION] did for his first shave with it.
It was definitely nicer the second time around than the first acrylic got a two pass DFS. The razor blade combination my have made a difference, but I'll never know since I eliminated the control factor of one blade, one razor.
Now I wouldn't go out of my way to buy these blades, but if I were to come across a 100 pack at the store for reasonable price I wouldn't pass them up.

Who makes the YingJili blades? The one I was given to try is a YingJili Super Stainless. I'm going to use it for the second time tomorrow and I'm hoping it's just as nice if not better than the first shave.

I gave you a YJL Platinum blade, they were the only ones I was pif'ing. It'll have an orange/grey wrapper. Available here: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Plat...de-Refill-10PCs-QShave-RD214/32680190135.html The seller also carries them by the 100 pack but they're not cheap (12 cents a piece).

Produced very good results for me, I'm still waiting on some diamond and standard YJL blades.

Thank you for the link, I'll definitely get some. You are correct about the color of the blade wrapper, but the blade says super stainless on it. Possibly wrapped in the wrong wrapper. Nice blade regardless of it's name. Here is a picture.
$tmp_9051-20160815_132535401147614.jpg
I gave you a YJL Platinum blade, they were the only ones I was pif'ing. It'll have an orange/grey wrapper. Available here: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Plat...de-Refill-10PCs-QShave-RD214/32680190135.html The seller also carries them by the 100 pack but they're not cheap (12 cents a piece).

Produced very good results for me, I'm still waiting on some diamond and standard YJL blades.

Thank you for the link, I'll definitely get some. You are correct about the color of the blade wrapper, but the blade says super stainless on it. Possibly wrapped in the wrong wrapper. Nice blade regardless of it's name. Here is a picture.
View attachment 681405

Yeeoww my blade says Super Stainless also.! I have not shaved with it yet but, just opened it up for a peek.

Third two-pass shave with the YingJili blade was almost BBS. So far each shave has been better than the last.

Top Bottom