What's new

Koraat..Maybe the Best of Show?

Can anyone having used a variety of Koraats speak to the likely perceived differences between a full hollow and "Sheffield style" full hollow? Further down the path, would it differ between the Sheffield and 14.2 models?

My existing Koraat is a 14.2 full hollow, thinned. It's fantastic. I see the grind photo provided in the configurator, but not sure what it means to me as a user, really. I'm not super-fond of heavier grinds, but the subtleties of the available full hollows evade me. My beard and skin sensitivities are average and unremarkable.

I *know* I can just ask Ulrik, but what are forums for if not speculation about how other folks should spend their hard-earned cash? Besides, if you have an order in now surely you'd rather he get back to the shop and stop answering endless emails. :)

To my eye, the "Sheffield" full hollow looks a lot like the way many Japanese full hollows are ground. Maybe compare some of your Japanese razors to your 14 2.0 and see if the difference in grind looks similar to what his photos show.

I wish I could help, Brad.

I only have a 14 2.0 full hollow, and an extra full hollow. If I shaved blindfolded, I couldn't tell the difference..

That Sheffield Style full hollow does look interesting, though..

Last edited:
Interesting topic. I wonder how much this is/was an issue with extremely thin blades. Was it really necessary or was it a gimmick so somebody could patent it and sell it as a novelty?

If I recall correctly the 14 2.0 seemed thicker/stiffer than a fili 14(haven't used either in weeks).
Matt you have the EPBD and the 14 2.0, what do you think?
Can anyone having used a variety of Koraats speak to the likely perceived differences between a full hollow and "Sheffield style" full hollow? Further down the path, would it differ between the Sheffield and 14.2 models?

My existing Koraat is a 14.2 full hollow, thinned. It's fantastic. I see the grind photo provided in the configurator, but not sure what it means to me as a user, really. I'm not super-fond of heavier grinds, but the subtleties of the available full hollows evade me. My beard and skin sensitivities are average and unremarkable.

I *know* I can just ask Ulrik, but what are forums for if not speculation about how other folks should spend their hard-earned cash? Besides, if you have an order in now surely you'd rather he get back to the shop and stop answering endless emails. :)
I have two 14.20, one Sheffield full hollow, one “regular” full hollow, and one half hollow. Not a ton of difference among any of the full hollows. The half hollow is great for use on a 2-3 day growth.
I like and appreciate them all. I’d say the top of the heap may be the 14 2.0 models

I haven't heard back yet, but...

Camel scales with Juma wedge
Full Hollow with double stabilizers
Some light tasteful spinework
Spanish point
Highly polished

It will be some time yet..
One of the reasons I asked was because I had a custom Koraat order running too. My selection was also camelbone, full hollow, and with some spinework; but ‘silk’ finish, 6/8, and round point. My only other Koraat is a pretty standard 14 2.0 model.

As it happens, Ulrik actually emailed me this morning to say that my razor is finished. Maybe some of the elements here will give you an additional comparison to what you ordered. Here is mine….

6B408B2B-309A-4D13-A342-D10736226D16.jpeg

B3DB4F90-1E1B-4B42-A187-7D98A9608E49.jpeg

BA68A446-29A9-4D03-A612-C564B1658F47.jpeg

Last edited:
One of the reasons I asked was because I had a custom Koraat order running too. My selection was also camelbone, full hollow, and with some spinework; but ‘silk’ finish, 6/8, and round point. My only other Koraat is a pretty standard 14 2.0 model.

As it happens, Ulrik actually emailed me this morning to say that my razor is finished. Maybe some of the elements here will give you an additional comparison to what you ordered. Here is mine….

View attachment 1499074

View attachment 1499075

View attachment 1499076

Simply beautiful...

I would expect no less from Ulrik!

Simply beautiful...

I would expect no less from Ulrik!
Thanks. I like it. The temptation is to tick every option as though they are simply upgrades, and then you end up with a razor that looks like something from a Transformers movie but in damascus steel, and a €1,000 bill to boot. Hopefully I kept it reasonably tasteful - it’s probably about on the edge, but it was a special and unique purchase.

Thanks. I like it. The temptation is to tick every option as though they are simply upgrades, and then you end up with a razor that looks like something from a Transformers movie but in damascus steel, and a €1,000 bill to boot. Hopefully I kept it reasonably tasteful - it’s probably about on the edge, but it was a special and unique purchase.
I agree with you..

I try to keep mine fairly simple and tasteful also. But, we can go just a wee bit wild from time to time.

I will say, one thing I don't like is how he does the jimps. It's fine for shaving but I don't like the way they feel when stropping or honing. I like them a lot finer.

This thread is dangerous. I just ordered my second Koraat. I was just idly browsing the configurator, when I saw the picture of the carbon scales and a sudden vision flashed into my mind: a Koraat for kamisori lovers, shortened, 1/4 hollow, carbon scales,... so I ordered it.

a Koraat for kamisori lovers
61958229_1238997522949868_3227719694479785984_n.jpg

I believe I saw a photo somehwere of one with a clad shank/tang as well. It was verra nice. I do like a well-clad shank (sounds a bit lascivious).

Today so far (it varies by the hour) I am leaning toward another 14 2.0 but this time with the plain full hollow (slightly bellied, not thinned) and to go wild: colorful scales* rather than tasteful and double shoulder rather than the single or shoulderless I tend to prefer.

*Although I keep looking at those carbon scales he has. Normally I don't really like the carbon fiber look (reminds me of boy-racer auto interiors) but there's something interesting about that lighting strike carbon.

I very nearly went for the "Lightning Strike Carbon" myself. Not because I'm a huge fan, but it was different.

Top Bottom