What's new

Koraat..Maybe the Best of Show?

Once upon a time….
I used to be a huge fan of a specific razor which I believed to be most probably the best “custom/semi-custom“ straight available. I was fortunate enough to acquire a few over the years and still regard them as first class shaving instruments. I am sure I would add more to my collection…if they were still available. No idea what the maker is doing these days🤷‍♂️.
But, due diligence had me happen onto another craftsman; Herr Ulrik Beyer a.k.a
Koraat Razors came to my attention. Briefly…this is a truly small operation making some outstanding custom razors. Not often you come across quality like this
and at both an affordable price and delivery time prior to the next coming of the Messiah. I think I really do need another😳
69FA7F39-D05C-4C11-AB7A-312FD6AE88FC.jpeg

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Fine razors sir. I have used the site to create a custom for myself…just for practice, prepping for the actual day down the road. I’m drawn to the basic wedge type, with a few custom add ones. Do you have a particular favourite? Bellied seems to be in the lead.

Bellied is my favorite. The Koraat 14.20 is an exceptional bit of goods. And it can be customized outside of what you can do on the configurator (note the stabilized Bog Oak scales). I’m thinking my next Koraat I’m gonna let my wife go crazy on the “Konfigurator” and see what shows up. 😱

So how well are the scales shaped ? Are they streamlined like vintage razors, or on the chunky side like other modern razors? The pics look decent, but its hard to judge the cross section from most pictures.

Perhaps I’m not the owner of the best data. I have a lot of straights, only 3 new, only 1 cost about as much as my Koraat - in fact only one cost more than half as much… but I don’t regret a single penny, it’s a great razor. If you are into bling like gold wash, maybe not the best choice, but if you want something simply elegant that shaves amazingly, you can’t go wrong! By the way I have a 14 2.0 with the tough beard bellied option.

I have a 14 2.0 with the tough beard bellied option.
I have the thinned belly option, but since then I've kind of wondered about the tough beard option. Not because there's anything wrong with the thin version, but I all of a sudden have a few razors with a very thin grind.

Can you describe the way the tough beard version shaves compared to a typical thin full hollow?

That question goes to anyone who's tried both, as well.

I have the thinned belly option, but since then I've kind of wondered about the tough beard option. Not because there's anything wrong with the thin version, but I all of a sudden have a few razors with a very thin grind.

Can you describe the way the tough beard version shaves compared to a typical thin full hollow?

That question goes to anyone who's tried both, as well.
I can not describe the difference as I only have the one version. I will say that I have 2 bellied 5/8 razors and I question whether it makes any sense for razors that small to have a belly. For 7/8 and above I think it does make sense to add a belly to avoid excessive flex in the blade. But don’t have the comparative data.

Both I would think. If you read the George Korn patent on the bellied hollow, it emphasizes that some of the non-bellied extra hollow razors would vibrate during the shaving process. Note that Korn didn’t invent the idea of belly, he just has a patent on what he claimed was an improvement on the bellies used on some German razors that were cited as prior art.

I will admit that after having hacked up a few razors by flexing the blades during honing, I am particularly careful not to apply excessive pressure during honing. But clearly for me it was an issue at one point.

The only time I've really observed a vibration problem is with a 9/16, very thin blade with no shoulder. It has a tendency to chatter, but only on the densest whiskers. I think a big blade has enough mass to mitigate this to an extent, even without a belly. But a guy with a very dense beard might well notice the difference.

Interesting topic. I wonder how much this is/was an issue with extremely thin blades. Was it really necessary or was it a gimmick so somebody could patent it and sell it as a novelty?

If I recall correctly the 14 2.0 seemed thicker/stiffer than a fili 14(haven't used either in weeks).
Matt you have the EPBD and the 14 2.0, what do you think?

Alex, overall the EPBD is slightly thinner. Very slightly. But I think the Koraat is actually thinner at the midpoint, above the belly. I tried to do a side by side photo head on when I got the Fili but it wasn't all that great, maybe I'll try again.

In terms of flexibility, I haven't compared them directly. Maybe I'll do that tomorrow. I can say that the Koraat doesn't deflect as much across the thumbnail as a couple other thin blades I have. But it may actually flex a little more across the whole width of the blade based on the way it acts on the stones.

Shave-wise they're not far apart. The EPBD is a hair better, at least for my honing skills, the edge seems a little smoother. Both currently were finished on the same coticule.

Top Bottom