What's new

Kombucha - Who’s drinkin’ it?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Anyone? My only experience is with a hard kombucha “beer”. Which was pretty good.

So who here is drinking the straight stuff? Brewing your own? How? From who?

Reactions: CCR

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Whether I like it depends a lot on how it's made. I like the more traditional version that begins with a sweet tea, but then a good deal of that sweetness is removed or balanced through fermentation. Just leave what sweetness is there from the residual sugars I've had some that were backsweetened and were far too sweet. That never works for me.

I'm also not typically partial to the stuff that is heavily flavored. I still like it to taste like tea. That said, I recently had a ginger-lime kombucha that was very good. I liked it so much that I even had another a few days later. It wasn't very sweet, though.

I have thought about making it but just never got around to it. I can't begin to tell you why. It's not at all difficult. The only thing I need is the SCOBY. I expect I haven't done it for the same reason I've never kept up with sourdough: I don't necessarily want to keep it working all the time.

I have a friend who recently left a job as a brewer to join a kombucha outfit. I'm very interested to see what he comes up with.

Kombucha. The stuff my daughter has stashed in big jars in all the cabinets? Nope. I don’t drink it. She loves it! She especially loves when it explodes on opening!

Last edited:
Reactions: CCR

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I found this brand at the store. Very good!

they have a few dif flavors.

12A2A74C-4844-4610-B3AB-9A4FCA9CB1CB.jpeg

I found this brand at the store. Very good!

they have a few dif flavors.

View attachment 1154018
GT’s is likely the biggest brand available. I drink it in Canada. Good stuff but a bit harsh.

I much prefer Rise Kombucha. Canadian made but tastes much better than any other Kombucha I have tried.

I tried making my own with the scoby and ended up with a gross mouldy mess. Wouldn’t Bother to try it again.

I like it, but it's a bit expensive - weird, too.

AA

i think its taxed (or used to be ) like alcohol/malt liquor.

i used to make my own about 20 years ago and had a hard time paying that much for a retail bottle when it became popular here with GTs about 10 yrs ago. Still kind of expensive.

I had bought some of the Yogi tea brand Kambucha and kind of forgot about it. Bought some more tea yesterday and saw it in the cupboard. Drinking some right now.

16024237237754429547402864339897.jpg

I've tried some of the bottled Kambucha in the stores. Some flavors I liked better than others. But don't think I drank enough of it to feel any different health wise. As mentioned, it's kind of pricey for me to be drinking all the time.

Top Bottom