What's new

Kokak's Straight Razor journey...

20170728 Fri@2130
Straight Razor shave: 17
Safety Razor shave: 45

Prep: Stirling Bergamot Lavender Pre-Shave Oil
Shaving Soap: Soap Commander Charisma (Melon and Citrus)
Shaving Bowl: Fine Lather Bowl
Brush: RazorRock Monster Plissoft (26 mm x 63 mm)
Straight Razor: Tanifuji 'FAVORIT' 750 6/8" (11) WTG -XTG - WTG (cheeks, chin), WTG - WTG - WTG (neck)
DE Razor: Gillette 109 WTG - XTG - WTG (upper lip)
Splash: Stirling Orange Chill and Sandalwood (+Menthol)
Balm: Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm
Strop: Tony Miller 3" Fast Bridle Leather "Plain Chocolate" (15x Linen and 25x Leather)

I decided to try one of the Soap Commander samples. So I took the Charisma sample and pressed it into the bottom of my lather bowl. Whipped up a quick lather and had a great shave.

Soap Commander Charisma (Melon and Citrus)
Price Point: 9
Ease to Lather: 8
Lather: 9
Slickness: 8
Scent:8
Scent Strength: 7
Post Shave Feel: 8

Soap Commander is really nice. The Charisma scent was very soothing. The perfect Friday night shave. I used a bit more water and really worked up a fantastic lather. I think I will get at least another 7 to 8 shaves out of this sample. Since it is in the bottom of my lather brush, I have no option but to continue to use it until all the sample is used up. Not a hardship if you ask me.
I am get more and more comfortable with using a straight every day. I have no doubt that I will use a straight every day, maybe with the exception of those days I am rushed and don't have the proper amount of time to commit to a straight shave.
I had a great 3 pass shave using both hands. I only avoided the upper lip this time and instead of an ATG 2nd pass on my neck, I opted for an additional WTG pass. Using my left hand is getting easier and the entire shave was comfortable with DFS results.

LOL, hook, line and sinker. I wanted to do the same thing regarding restoring razors, but I learned that with my other interests surrounding this hobby, my family responsibilities and of course the job thing, there just were not enough hours. But I fell down the honing rabbit hole head first.
Thanks...
I already ordered my stones, due in Tuesday. I am excited about learning another skill.

uh oh... good luck with the restore and honing. both are crazy ADs! be careful
Thanks.

20170729 Sat@2030
Straight Razor shave: 18
Safety Razor shave: 46

Brush: RazorRock Chubby #506 Handle Extra Silvertip Badger (27.5 mm x 51 mm)
Straight Razor: Tanifuji 'FAVORIT' 750 6/8" (12) WTG -XTG - WTG (cheeks, chin), WTG - WTG - WTG (neck)
DE Razor: Gillette Goodwill WTG - XTG (upper lip)
Splash: Stirling Orange Chill, Bergamot Lavender (+Menthol) and Sandalwood (+Menthol)
Strop: Tony Miller 3" Fast Bridle Leather "Plain Chocolate" (15x Linen and 25x Leather)

Another great, relaxing shave. I'm only 18 shaves in, with a straight, but this is feeling more and more natural. It seems my only problem area now is my upper lip. At this point my plan is to keep doing what I am doing and in a couple of weeks start working on the upper lip. Now, I am fully aware that by tomorrow, I may just start to work on the upper lip. But my plan is to wait for a couple of weeks till what I am doing is routine.
Kevin did a fantastic job on the edge of this razor. With nothing more than just stropping the blade has managed to maintain its edge and comfort.

Catching up on your new journal, and you have been doing great! I remember the upper lip being one of my biggest problem areas early on, especially going ATG. Once you "get it" it will all fall into place, you just have to put in the trial and error.

Catching up on your new journal, and you have been doing great! I remember the upper lip being one of my biggest problem areas early on, especially going ATG. Once you "get it" it will all fall into place, you just have to put in the trial and error.
Thanks.

I get it now, end of July, rather than August? Or did you abort the mission? :lol:
Well... I did mean till the end of August... but I couldn't make it 3 days. I just have too many soaps and a couple of new ones arrived that week, to only use one. But I will do this... but not this month (LOL).

Well... I did mean till the end of August... but I couldn't make it 3 days. I just have too many soaps and a couple of new ones arrived that week, to only use one. But I will do this... but not this month (LOL).
:lol: :lol: :lol: You fit right in here! Most of us here in the journal section can't even comprehend how someone can 3017 a soap!

:lol: :lol: :lol: You fit right in here! Most of us here in the journal section can't even comprehend how someone can 3017 a soap!
Yah...
So I went to a Shave Meetup (in Riverside) this weekend. When I got home, my wife asked "what did you buy...?" So I showed her the goody bag I got, plus the 3 new soaps and samples... she just laughed. Then while we were out at our neighborhood home improvement store; she wanted to go down the bathroom sink isle and she picked out a new mirrored cabinet for me (to hold my stuff) because she said she was tired of seeing the stacks of soaps on my closet floor.
I think I got a keeper!

20170731 Mon@2130
Straight Razor shave: 19
Safety Razor shave: 47

Straight Razor: Tanifuji 'FAVORIT' 750 6/8" (13) WTG -XTG - WTG (cheeks, chin), WTG - WTG - WTG (neck)
DE Razor: Gillette 109 WTG - XTG (upper lip)
Splash: Stirling Orange Chill, Bergamot Lavender (+Menthol) and Sandalwood (+Menthol)

For the 1st time in the last couple of months, I missed a shave. I was just too exhausted on Sunday to shave. I am almost 2 weeks using the same straight and am having very comfortable and smooth shaves with it. My resulting shaves leave me DFS (border BBS) without any irritation. I had 1 tiny issue at the crease in my chin (bottom lip meets the chin), which resulting in a tiny weeper. But that was my fault for trying to go from the bottom lip to under the chin in one motion. When I work the area in short strokes, just under my lip, I have no problems. I am really amazed at how nice of a shave I am having.
I received the Swedish OMEGA I bought on eBay ($9.95). It is in great condition and should clean up nicely. I have ordered some replacement scales and my honing stones have come in as well. My wife works this weekend, so... looks like I will attempt my 1st restore and honing Saturday. If I am successful and can continue to find decent razors for under $10, I can see a rather large collection in my not too distant future.

20170801 Tue@2200
Straight Razor shave: 20
Safety Razor shave: 48

Straight Razor: Tanifuji 'FAVORIT' 750 6/8" (14) WTG -XTG (cheeks, chin), WTG - WTG (neck)
Splash: Stirling Orange Chill

Another straight shave on the books. This one was not uneventful. I don't know if my mind was wondering or I just was spacing out but I nicked myself a couple of times. Once on the lower lip; I managed to drive the muted point into the corner of my bottom lip and make a vertical cut. The other was not rolling my wrist while going over the crease between my lower lip and chin, so I scrapped a few spots there as well. My neck and cheeks were perfect though and I am almost on autopilot when shaving those areas. This may have been why I nicked my chin area; too much confidence and not paying as close attention.

20170803 Thu@0630
Straight Razor shave: 21

Shaving Soap: Stirling Barbershop
Straight Razor: Hayashi Diamond #77 13/16" (3) WTG -XTG (cheeks, chin), WTG - WTG (neck)
Splash: Stirling PAA Good Vibrations
Balm: Stirling Piacenza

20170803 Fri@0715
Straight Razor shave: 22

Shaving Soap: Proraso Red (Sandalwood)
Straight Razor: Tanifuji 'FAVORIT' 750 6/8" (14) WTG -XTG -WTG (cheeks), WTG - WTG - WTG (neck)
DE Razor: Rockwell (#4) (goatee)

Greta shave this morning. Since I have butchered my bottom lip these past couple of days, I decided to only use the straight on my cheeks and neck and use my DE on my upper lip and chin. I will stick to this regiment until my lower lip completely heals. This resulted in a perfect BBS shave. No nicks, cuts or blood of any type. I did irritate one of the previous straight cuts on my lower lip, but otherwise it was fantastic.
While Proraso is not what anyone would refer to as being "one of the best" soaps out there, it is absolutely one of my favorites. The scent, slickness and ease of lather makes this a very nice soap. Not to mention the $10 price point makes it an easy buy. The RED is definitely my favorite Proraso scent.
I am expecting 3 new (to me) straights to be delivered this morning. All, shave ready. One of them, Kevin had muted the toe for me and then honed it. It is a nice little Dubl Duck I managed to snag at a great price from a different forum.
My wife even commented on how much more relaxed I am whenever I have had my daily shave.

Caught up on some nice shaves! Pity about the nick, but luckily it doesn't seem to have been too terrible. Par for the course around here, I would say. Keep up the good work!

20170805 Sat@0700
Straight Razor shave: 23

Shaving Soap: Captain's Choice 45th Parallel
Straight Razor: Dubl Duck Special No 1 5/8" (1) WTG -XTG -WTG (cheeks), WTG - WTG - WTG (neck)
Stropping: none
DE Razor: Rockwell (#4) (goatee)

So got a delivery yesterday of some straight razors yesterday so I took the Dubl Duck Special No 1 out for a test drive. Before receiving this razor I had it sent to Kevin to have the toe muted and the heal fixed. This razor is fantastic. I had a great 3 pass shave (cheeks and neck). The longer, thinner blade was much easier to maneuver across my face. I did have to clean the blade more frequently, but that was okay. This new straight could easily be my daily go to razor.

20170806 Sun@0745
Straight Razor shave: 24

Shaving Soap: C&E Moroccan Myrrh
Straight Razor: Dubl Duck Special No 1 5/8" (2) WTG -XTG -WTG (cheeks), WTG - WTG (neck)
Stropping: Tony Miller 3" Fast Bridle Leather "Plain Chocolate" (25x Linen and 100x Leather)
DE Razor: Rockwell (#4) WTG - XTG - WTG (goatee)
Splash: Stirling Lime (+Menthol)

So after going through my closet and coming to the conclusion that; I HAVE TOO MUCH STUFF. I went back to the soap and lathering style that started my Traditional Wet Shaving adventure, all 3 months ago (with the exception of the straight razor). So armed with the teak bowl of C&B Moroccan Myrrh, I put the lathering bowl away and put brush to soap and face lathered. I had forgotten just how satisfying going simple was. While C&E is not what I would call a 'top tier' soap, it performed well with my straight razor. My intention, I stress the word 'intention', is to use only this soap to completion. Now I may only going 1 week (probably 2 days), but I will try.
While the shave went without issue yesterday, my face was feeling a bit irritated late in the day. I am not sure if it was the blade, me or my technique. But I decided to put leather to the metal and strop this razor into submission. The linen went as expected. But the sound of the blade on my strop was very strange. Now I do have to say, I have very limited experience when it comes to stropping razors. To this point I have only stropped 3 different razors. So it probably was only the fact that this Dubl Duck razor had a little different of a draw on the leather. So I resisted the urge to push harder on the razor and kept my strokes lite and smooth. I had to mentally not push onto the spine of the blade. So instead of pushing on the blade, I chose just to increase the number of strokes. This all played out really well and the shave was very nice. The shave felt like I was just removing the soap from my skin. The audible feedback was there, there just wasn't and resistance when drawing the blade across my cheeks and neck. While the shave was DFS and not BBS, this has to be one of the most comfortable straight razor shave I have had so far.
A huge thanks to Kevin for putting such an awesome edge on this blade.

20170807 Mon@0730
Straight Razor shave: 25

Shaving Soap: C&E Moroccan Myrrh
Straight Razor: Dubl Duck Special No 1 5/8" (3) WTG -XTG -WTG (cheeks and chin), WTG - WTG -WTG (neck)
Stropping: Tony Miller 3" Fast Bridle Leather "Plain Chocolate" (15x Linen and 25x Leather)
DE Razor: Rockwell (#4) WTG - XTG (upper/lower lip)
Splash: Stirling Lime (+Menthol)

Day 2 of using the same items (I can't believe I made it this far). All joking aside; my sink doesn't look as cluttered. I don't have to think about what scents pair well with what. Just reach out, load my brush, whip-up a lather on my face and go to work. Since the only problem areas I am having are my lips, I decided to shave my chin with the straight and just leave the top and bottom lip for my DE to cleanup. This left me with an incredible shave.
If I stick to my plans; the next several weeks my be boring to read, but my technique will develop and benefit from this monotony. Not to mention my face and lips will have a chance to heal, completely.

Just getting caught up. Your journey with the straight is going very well. Have you tried the two handed approach ATG around the lips?

Just getting caught up. Your journey with the straight is going very well. Have you tried the two handed approach ATG around the lips?
Thank you.

Never heard of a 2 handed ATG. I will have to look that up. Although I don't like to go ATG with any type of razor.

Top Bottom