What's new

Knurled handle recommendations for a EJ DE86

Oh Hi, it's me again! :)

As you've probably all seen from my recent activity on here, I'm giving DE shaving another go 'round, and it's getting better than my last attempts. I had my best DE neck shave yet (happily bearded) on three days growth. Signal chain today was:

Proraso sensitive pre shave, Omega boar, Razorock Classic soap, Astra SP (4), EJ DE86, Nivea Sensitive balm.

I'm finding I have to keep drying my hands and the handle on the EJ since there's no knurling on it an and it just gets too slippery. What's a decent knurled handle that will fit it? I've seen the Razorock handles (they always seem to be out of stock though), but I'll take all considerations.

Thanks

If you like the EJ you can upgrade to a knurled DE89..

IMG_2088.jpg

IMG_2087.jpg

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
This one’s compatible and grippy and my favorite handle:

Maggard has a nice selection. But lately I've been having fun ordering inexpensive stuff off of Aliexpress. You might check out the Yaqi store there. Their handles are solid brass and very nice for the $ spent. Shipping for me in CA takes about 3-4 weeks. If you have any problems refunds are relatively quick and easy.

The Razor Rock pot metal razors usually have a stainless steel handle. I know the SLOC does. The whole razor is cheaper than buying the handle alone, and you may even like the head on them. Note that a stainless handle is heavier and will change the balance of the EJ 89. For me, the light weight is one of the attractions of this fine razor. But I agree the handle is slippery.

The Razor Rock pot metal razors usually have a stainless steel handle. I know the SLOC does. The whole razor is cheaper than buying the handle alone, and you may even like the head on them. Note that a stainless handle is heavier and will change the balance of the EJ 89. For me, the light weight is one of the attractions of this fine razor. But I agree the handle is slippery.

The DE86 has a plain black handle with no lines or knurling, making it even more slick with soapy hands. Sometimes it's not a problem, and other times I'm always reaching for a towel.

Maggard has a nice selection. But lately I've been having fun ordering inexpensive stuff off of Aliexpress. You might check out the Yaqi store there. Their handles are solid brass and very nice for the $ spent. Shipping for me in CA takes about 3-4 weeks. If you have any problems refunds are relatively quick and easy.

+1! You should also check out WCS. One advantage of 3-piece designs, like the EJ, is that you can swap out the handle to find one that works well! :thumbup:

The Chrome finish on the Edwin Jagger DE89 razors is just superb. And, for the quality and mildness of the shaves, these modern DEs have been compared to the Vintage Techs.

The handle on your razor in particular looks terrific, Sir. :thumbup1:
Thanks, Marco! It is one of the more handsome razors I own, doesn't get to see much use these days but looks good on my shave shelf..

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Thanks, Marco! It is one of the more handsome razors I own, doesn't get to see much use these days but looks good on my shave shelf..

I had a DE89L many years ago, now I'm missing it quite a lot... I need to get a new one soon, but this time with a knurled handle. Also, the "England Sheffield" band at the end of the handle, not available in the past, is an added touch of class and charme.

Top Bottom