What's new

Knowing when to leave well enough alone.

I was having a great shave this morning. I have refined my technique further, and it was going great. I decided to do a little more "touch up" .

I should have left well enough alone...my technique got sloppy and i ended up with a nick under my nose.

live and learn...

ouch!i cut my lower lip(cut not knicked)a couple of weeks ago.live and learn.told everyone that asked what happened that swmbo didnt like an answer i gave her:w00t:

Yep, same here, several times. I am to the point where I ask myself, is it a good enough shave to live with, today? If so, I stop. BBS is a recipe for nicks, irritation, and ingrown hairs for me.

Been there, done that. Our overconfidence will get us every time. It's tough to learn when it's as good s it's gonna get on any particular day.

Amen Brother......sometimes the difference between a DFS and irritation is a mere stroke or two away IME. I was a "two pass and out" shaver for a very long time. Of course, it was mostly with carts. When I returned to DE razors, I worked too hard for that BBS shave when a DFS is just fine. I'm just not willing to compromise comfort for that last little iota of closeness. Then again, sometimes it just happens. But SWMBO thinks a DFS is just remarkable compared to what I got with carts. And after all, her opinion really counts.

I was a "two pass and out" shaver for a very long time. Of course, it was mostly with carts.

It's been close to ten months of wetshaving for me, and I can't remember if I ever did two passes with my canned goo and cart or not. That's the good thing about wetshaving...you forget your old habits. Unfortunately, as the OP found out, like most of us at one time or another, you sometimes forget your new habits.

The worst cut I've gotten was when I took a chunk out of my bottom lip with a cartridge. Ever since I switched to a DE I have not been phased by a nick here or there considering...

I never cut myself by overdoing it but razor burn usually follows.

+1

Nicks almost always happen towards the first half of my shave. Risk of razor burn increases exponentially, beginning with pass number two. Since I always do three passes and almost always do touch-up, it's a fine line I tread.

Gentlemen, I have been DE shaving for 7+ months at this time. Based on my experience(s), I am of the opinion that a good pre-shave routine goes a long way to preventing nicks and or weepers. Further, if we have the luxury of being able to take our time while shaving contributes to the quality of our shaving pleasure(s).

That's when you get hurt, you've been playing for hours, Mom calls for you to come in and you say "Aw Mom, 5 more minutes". Then BAM you get hurt.

The worst cut I've gotten was when I took a chunk out of my bottom lip with a cartridge. Ever since I switched to a DE I have not been phased by a nick here or there considering...
Oh man! :w00t: I remember doing that in my youth...bled like forever! Ack! [shudder\

A big part of my learning curve was realizing the better I knew my whisker pattern, the shorter my shave time became. In the beginning of wet shaving, I would gear up for a nice, long shave. Then I realized it was taking no time to get an excellent shave, but overdoing it just led to problems, so I am now content with a short but satisfying efficient shave.

As for cuts, I don't even want to remember my early straight razor shaves...

Good prep, concentration, great products, they all add up to consistent close shaves. The one thing I have to remember is: "Two careful passes. Touch-up. Then out."

Top Bottom