What's new

Knot Suggestions?

I am re-knotting a Yaqi Sagrada Familia. I know many folks really like the tuxedo knot I just removed, but I found it lacked density and just did not enjoy using it. Regarding synthetics, I am very pleased with my Yaqi Raibow Brown and Purple Mink brushes. I'm also happy with my two boar brushes, a Zenith and an Omega. My two go-to badgers are a 26 mm two band Yaqi and a re-knotted Made-Rite with a 20 mm Maggard 2 band knot. And I also enjoy my SOC Mitsura. So, I really don't need anything in particular. I could go with a 24 mm 2 band to fit in between the quite large Yaqi and the small but very satisfying Maggard. Or I could try a different synthetic, or maybe another mixed knot.

Suggestions?

You have a good variety of knots and brushes, and it seems that this is an opportunity to add something that you are missing among the brushes.

I can suggest a few types of knots which are worth adding to your collection :

1) 24/26 mm Plissoft synthetic knot
2) 24 mm Timber Wolf synthetic knot
3) 24 mm Cashmere synthetic knot

Each of the knots are good to great in what they offer and will definitely be a good addition to your collection.

Do let us know what you decide.

It depends on what kind of knot you’re looking for, do you want something similar to what you have or something different?
My two personal favorites at the moment are the Maggard SHD knot, IMO you can’t beat this knot for value and performance. The tips break in very nicely and it has a nice amount of backbone and splay.
If you want the best knot out there go with a Declaration Grooming knotting service. He currently offers B3 and B11. B3 is a very nice scrubby batch that is really pleasant if you like scrub and scritch from your brushes. B11 just came out but is described to have medium backbone and splay while still retaining its shape. I’ve tried 7-8 different Declaration batches and while they are all different, non of them was disappointing or bad.

Or a genre you don't actually have might be fun to check out. Like a three band maybe? You can fool around with the loft and dial in the backbone to your liking since you're putting it together.

I'm a scrubby fan but a little bit of luxury once in a while is good. Sounds fun whatever do you.

Last edited:
Well, if you want to spend/splurge, perhaps look at the knots available at Shavemac? Pick the knot to fit the handle?

A Maggards Boar/Badger?

+1 for the Plissoft. I have a Super Badger, a cheapo synthetic and the Plissoft.

I find myself wanting to use the Plissoft every single day.

If you want to have more backbone in a synthetic knot:
1. Simpsons Duke 3, Simpsons Chubby 2, or Simpsons Trafalgar 2/3
2. Omega Evo
3. Shavemac

All of these knots have more backbone in comparison to Yaqi Sagrada Familia

How about the 24mm PAA Roswell Grey hybrid? Probably the synthetic brush that I've enjoyed the most so far has that knot. AP Shave Co Silk Smoke seems similar. Also, consider AP Shave Co SynBad knot.

1611234283622.png
1611234355415.png

Last edited:
I’ve recently discovered that if I’m going to use a badger brush, a SHD (super high density) fan knot is my favorite.

Since you didn't like the lack of density of the Tuxedo, I would stay away from the Cashmere and the Timberwolf. I got a Stone Gray knot from Shave Forge that I think could fit the bill. It appears to be the same knot as the Silk Smoke, but I'm not positive. The boss/gamechanger/noir knot would also be worth considering. The Synbads are nice and dense, but I suspect they may not have quite the backbone you're looking for.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I've narrowed it down to 2 choices (at least for the moment): a 24 mm two band badger from Maggards, since I'm so happy with the 20 mm version of that knot, and the PAA Roswell Gray synthetic. I'm leaning towards the PAA synthetic, since my plan for this brush was always as a travel brush, given the compact handle, and synthetics' quick drying capability makes them good choices for travel brushes.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I've narrowed it down to 2 choices (at least for the moment): a 24 mm two band badger from Maggards, since I'm so happy with the 20 mm version of that knot, and the PAA Roswell Gray synthetic...
I hope you will show us a photo of the brush after the new knot is installed. I'll bet it will be very nice looking.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I've narrowed it down to 2 choices (at least for the moment): a 24 mm two band badger from Maggards, since I'm so happy with the 20 mm version of that knot, and the PAA Roswell Gray synthetic. I'm leaning towards the PAA synthetic, since my plan for this brush was always as a travel brush, given the compact handle, and synthetics' quick drying capability makes them good choices for travel brushes.

Those are great choices. You can't go wrong with either option. Personally, I think the Roswell looks cool.

What method did you use to remove the knot from the Yaqi handle? Was there much difficulty? Thanks.

Those are great choices. You can't go wrong with either option. Personally, I think the Roswell looks cool.

What method did you use to remove the knot from the Yaqi handle? Was there much difficulty? Thanks.
I steamed out the old knot, and it went pretty smoothly. It did leave a partial ring about 10 mm down the opening. I will probably have to remove that completely using a Dremel, but I'll wait until I have the new knot to see what needs to be done. Here's what it looks like now. That gray ring is not completely intact; part of it which is not visible came away with the knot.
IMG_20210119_203842.jpg

I steamed out the old knot, and it went pretty smoothly. It did leave a partial ring about 10 mm down the opening. I will probably have to remove that completely using a Dremel, but I'll wait until I have the new knot to see what needs to be done. Here's what it looks like now. That gray ring is not completely intact; part of it which is not visible came away with the knot.
View attachment 1211958

By any chance, have you measured the diameter of the opening? I'm just curious if there's any possibility of fitting a 26mm synthetic knot into a Yaqi 24mm.

By any chance, have you measured the diameter of the opening? I'm just curious if there's any possibility of fitting a 26mm synthetic knot into a Yaqi 24mm.
I measured it, but not with a precision instrument. To my eye it's just a shade under 27 mm, so a 26 mm might fit. That said, I think this short little handle would look odd with a 26 mm knot in it, and I don't know if this opening size is consistent for all Yaqi 24 mm handles.

Here is my Yaqi Sagrada Familia with the PAA Gray Hybrid synthetic knot installed. I set it today, so I'll give the new brush a try tomorrow morning.

View attachment 1225563

Was that the 26mm knot you installed in it?

I got the AP Shave Co version of that knot, silk smoke, and used it for the first time yesterday. I really enjoyed it, super soft tips and better backbone then a tuxedo, which I like. It wouldn’t splay easily but it felt great for painting the lather on. I’d be interested to hear what your thoughts are after you give it a go.

I actually decided on the Silk Smoke knot based on the suggestions in this thread. I got the AP Shave Co version as it’s a Canadian company so easier for me to get.

Top Bottom