What's new

Knot size - large or small?

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I like variety. Sometimes I like a small brush, especially since they are so easy to load. Sometimes I like a larger brush. I wouldn’t want something enormous. A Chubby 3 would be too large for me for example, but I enjoy 26-28 knots also.

My sweet spot: 18 - 22mm boar, lofted short (in the upper 40s - low 50s) and scrubby. I have badger, mixed, and horse as well. 25mm is a big knot for me. I wear varying amounts of beard, so I usually need less lather than someone fully clean-shaven. My Simpson Duke 1 is plenty of best badger for my purposes.

Smallest I go is 23mm, anything smaller just feels "wrong" to me
I only lather on my face, and never in a bowl, it just doesn't do anything for me.
I almost always reach for my Duke 3 manchurian, im gonna get another Duke 3 in best because I lovve the Duke 3 so much.
I have tried a Chubby 2 (borrowed one from a friend), and I like that a lot too, but i still prefer the Duke 3.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I've been spoiled by large-ish brushes; 26 mm is my favored size. I have some 24 mms that I like a lot, but I do wish they were just a wee bit bigger. Anything smaller seems, well, insignificant.

My brushes range in diameter from 22mm to 27.5mm, but I have recently been using my SOC 2 band finest and my newly acquired Semogue 2015 HD. I seem to be drawn to higher density brushes on the left side of the size spectrum.

I use 24mm and 26mm synthetic brushes now I face lather. I had a couple 22mm badger brushes but they always felt a bit small. I love my 26mm Yaqi Rainbow but I wouldn't go any bigger.

All of mine are 24mm, with the exception of a 22 mm 2 band badger fan. It is at least as big, if not bigger, as my 24mms when using it, so 24mm is my answer.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I face lather with a relatively small brush (SOC badger 24 - but it stays tight) which is big enough to be efficient but small enough to do a relatively neat job.

For bowl/scuttle lathering I want a considerably larger brush. I have tendonitis in my elbow and a big brush gets the job done faster, as well as delivering some quantity of lather to the face.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
18 to 22mm for me. My 24mm APShaveco Brushes Synthetics are as large as I want to go. If they were badgers they would have way too much splay for face lathering. My EJ Medium Super is perfect at 21mm for badger brushes.

I've had a bit of a turnaround. I tried a Duke 3 synthetic and really like it even though it is a bit bigger than my smaller brushes. Then I tried a Chubby 2 synth and fell in love with it big time. Got a bit carried away right enough, but considering the 27mm knot, they are not exactly huge. Because they don't bloom they feel middle of the road size wise. Luxury in plastic.

1590864859458.png

M

member 119848

With time I developed a preference for large knots.
My synthetic Yaqi Tuxedo 30mm is the best brush I´ve ever had. And I face face-lather.

I prefer brushes with short loft. The Semogue 610/620 are two of my favorite brushes, so I would be tempted to say that I like smaller knots (21mm). However, my absolute favorite brush is the Omega 011842 and its knot diameter is 27mm. The knot size is small though since my copy has a 48mm loft based on my measurements.

I prefer brushes with short loft. The Semogue 610/620 are two of my favorite brushes, so I would be tempted to say that I like smaller knots (21mm). However, my absolute favorite brush is the Omega 011842 and its knot diameter is 27mm. The knot size is small though since my copy has a 48mm loft based on my measurements.

@Sotiris_A: When you use your (21mm x 50mm) 620 do you find that you need to keep going back to your puck for more soap - assuming you face lather?

@Sotiris_A: When you use your (21mm x 50mm) 620 do you find that you need to keep going back to your puck for more soap - assuming you face lather?

Yep, dedicated face latherer here. Indeed, I find that I can get enough lather for 3 passes with most of my soaps (MWF, Tabac, Arko, MdC, Speick). With Dr Harris, I have to go back to the puck for the 3rd pass, but this is common with all of my boar brushes.

Top Bottom