What's new

Knot size - large or small?

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I’m fairly new in the DE scene, but I started out with a cheap 25mm Badger(unknown type) brush and then started moving to bigger and bigger brushes.(up to 30m). now I am settling down and enjoy the relaxation of bowl lathering. Now I’ve found I’m gravitating toward smaller and smaller brushes. I want a bowlful of nice lather. I don’t want the brush to sop it all up as it’s being produced. A smaller brush using just the tip and going real slow Til my lather builds in volume an quality.
I just got these three in to test out. Wee Scot 14mm, Vulfix super badger 19mm and Vulfix boar/badger 21mm.
View attachment 1094537
30 m is pretty big how do you hold it and does it fit into your house???

This is a fine question and takes some pondering. Prefer small brushes. Why is pretty hard to nail down, but I'll give it a shot for what it's worth.

For one I think smaller brushes are better face lathering tools. Using a large brush the tips don't do as much work as a smaller brush. When you face lather you are still mixing water and soap to build a lather, the knot needs to work to build lather. A brush covers only so much real estate, your face, a little brush has to take more steps to cover the same ground vs a large brush. Also I think hydrating the lather by dipping in the sink is more precise and incremental with a smaller brush.

Another is I like to feel the tips work the soap into the whiskers. I think it's easier to get tips to do that with a smaller brush than with a larger brush. Smaller surface area requires less pressure therefore less mashing to get the same feel.

Another is I simply don't like the feeling of a large knot. 24mm max and I only have 1 of those. A G3 in best. My last brush would be a Paladin Moe with a short loft no glue bump 21 or 22mm 2-Band bulb. Yeah, like that'll happen!

As always YMMV and I could be all wet...

Last edited:
...24mm max and I only have 1 of those...
So on the drive home I thought more about this question, really enjoy the in your face challenge of the why. It's easy to spout what you prefer, I do it all the time. But to really consider the why is tough and useful.

In an effort to be accurate the above quote is wrong. I have 2 other brushes in the same G3 handle which makes 3 - 24mm brushes.

Last edited:
I’d say that I prefer medium brushes. I think 24-26mm is my sweet spot, depending on the knot of course. Anything above that just feels too big for me, and I had a 26mm Maggard SHD knot that was way too big for me with the density and splay.

19mm to 21mm is the magic size for me. At this point in time, 22mm would be the biggest. I have some 24s but they as well as a Pro 98 wind up in the shower as face scrubbers.
I find the smaller brushes more precise and less wasteful. They also make every bit as good of a lather as the larger brushes. Lather on the counter, floor, or slopped in the sink is lather you don't use. That gets expensive.
If I were a head shaver I would probably use a bigger brush.

For synthetics I prefer 26+
For badger at least the ones I’ve tried I prefer 24-26
My boars haven’t seen a lot of action since I went synthetic

22-24mm is the sweet spot for me. As I move to bowl lathering, loft is becoming increasingly important. 50-55mm loft seems about right for keeping lather in the bowl and off the handle.

If I am just shaving my face I like a small brush, that is all I need and find it easier to use (less of a mess and more precision on applying lather)

When I shave head or head and face, I will use a 24-26 synthetic for 2-3 passes on each area....have bigger natural hair and don't like them at all.

It's all personal preference

I have small to large and enjoy most all of them. From a Wee Scot (about 14 mm) to a 38 mm Frank Shaving. I like them all.

The smaller ones (18 mm and smaller) are usually used for travel. The larger ones (28 mm and larger) mostly on weekends when I want a more leisurely shave. I sometimes choose the brush according to what soap and mug I wnat to use. Soaps in larger mugs like larger brushes, or maybe it's the other way around. The 38 mm brush needs a really large mug. My favorite weekend brushes are a 30 mm X 69 mm and a 30 mm X 70 Silvertip. Nothing like a huge facefull of lather.

Depends on what kind of knot we're talking about.

A 26mm SHD "Manchurian" 2-band badger is a heck of a lot bigger (to me) when it blooms than a 30mm SynBad synthetic, as the most extreme example I can cite from my own brush stash. If you're used to the new wave SHD &/or "gel tip" super badger knots, I think you're outlook on this is much different than a synth only user....or a boar only user (if such guys exist for the latter; I personally don't know any).

For synth knots, as a generality, I like 26-30mm, usually low loft, e.g. no more than 50-52mm.

For "not SHD new fangled badger on steroids" knots, I like 28mm.

For SHD badger I like 26mm.

For me I like variety so I have a mix and it depends on my mood and also what I want to see. Having unique colors or shapes gets me excited to shave.

For me, it depends on what's in the knot. My favorite boar is 27.5 mm. My favorite synth is 24mm. My favorite badger is 23 mm. Sometimes it can depend on the knot style (bulb, fan, flat).

For example, I have a 24 mm two-band badger than is more than full enough. I can't imagine needing anything larger. My boar does not splay like the badger, so, on the face, it feels the same size as the 24mm. The 23 mm badger is really just perfect: feels lush, splays, delivers lather to the face where I want.

If I had to aim for a specific size, I would say 24mm is a generic sweet spot.

Ridpath

FIGHTER!
19mm to 21mm is the magic size for me. At this point in time, 22mm would be the biggest. I have some 24s but they as well as a Pro 98 wind up in the shower as face scrubbers.
I find the smaller brushes more precise and less wasteful. They also make every bit as good of a lather as the larger brushes. Lather on the counter, floor, or slopped in the sink is lather you don't use. That gets expensive.
If I were a head shaver I would probably use a bigger brush.
Funny you should mention that last bit. I’m a daily head shaver, but only shave my face on alternate days.

My smaller one still works best for me because I can reach behind my ears easier with a small brush. With my slightly bigger brush, it’ll work but your ears get covered in foam! I echo your sentiment everywhere else though, it is easier to paint lather everywhere ride with a large brush.

Based on everyone’s input, I think I’ll stick with a smaller knot (<25mm) for my last brush. Just need to decide what type of brush to get now...

You are the expert, not me, as I have never shaved my head. If you are considering a new brush you might want to think about a fan knot (for the splay) to get behind your ears. I have several Stirling and Maggard brushes all at good prices and all have done a good job with no shedding from any of them.

I like 28mm knots. Have owned smaller ones and moved them along. I prefer the feel of a big badger knot, and, once broken in, they produce a lot of lather, which burns through a lot of soap, which enables one to indulge their SAD. YMMV

I like em smallish.

1588413722828.png

Top Bottom