What's new

Knot similar to Manchurian and do1?

I seem to recently enjoy my Chubby 2 Manchurian and Shavemac do1 26 x 52 bulb more so than their counterparts in silvertip.

Is there another knot similar in backbone and density? I have never tried a synthetic or boar brush but I would consider one.

My current collection
1.jpg

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I have four Semogue Finest two band limited edition brushes and several Simpson Manchurian brushes; to me there is no difference between them whatsoever. Semogue Finest is excellent value; short lofted it is superb for scrubby face lathering, and at a higher loft it is softer but still with great face feel.

1.jpg

Depending what knot you get using the DG knotting service is an option, they still offer the
B3 knot which I understand has more face feel than the B14 or B15.

You would have to research it, but they are very dense knots.

Another option is Morris & Forndran 2 band finest, more face feel than Chubby 2 band Silvertip, but very dense.

Doug

I seem to recently enjoy my Chubby 2 Manchurian and Shavemac do1 26 x 52 bulb more so than their counterparts in silvertip.

Is there another knot similar in backbone and density? I have never tried a synthetic or boar brush but I would consider one.

My current collection
View attachment 1454702

Great lineup!! :thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1:

Since you asked, I would go for another Shavemac (although I actually prefer their 2-band)!

I agree with others in this thread - my Semogues are the closest I have in feel and performance to my Shavemac 2-bands and Simpson manchurians.

Reactions: d_e

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Vielong Epsilon is the one brush I have that is definitely the most dense brush I own. It has a huge backbone, but soft tips.
Actually quite a nice brush. I do own a couple D01 two-bands, but no bulbs, and a few Manchurians from Simpson. My two Semogues are not so dense and do not have a backbone that would be equal to the three mentioned (D01, Simp Manch and Vielong).

Not in the same league for performance, but neither in that league for price, the Maggard SHD knot is a great soft, dense performer.

Great lineup!! :thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1:

Since you asked, I would go for another Shavemac (although I actually prefer their 2-band)!
Thank you!
Vielong Epsilon is the one brush I have that is definitely the most dense brush I own. It has a huge backbone, but soft tips.
Actually quite a nice brush. I do own a couple D01 two-bands, but no bulbs, and a few Manchurians from Simpson. My two Semogues are not so dense and do not have a backbone that would be equal to the three mentioned (D01, Simp Manch and Vielong).
The brush you're talking about is the - "Epsilon Two Band Badger Ivory Shaving Brush by Vie-Long 55/26mm Knot", correct? They have a silvertip and a "2 band". Based on the description I'm guessing the 2 band is the one you're recommending?
Any ideas where I can acquire one that is brand new, pref in a black handle? I can't seem to find any through google.

BTW you made the handle of my DG B14 brush, I love it! Thanks! May need to revisit a similar handle with a different knot in the future.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Thank you!

The brush you're talking about is the - "Epsilon Two Band Badger Ivory Shaving Brush by Vie-Long 55/26mm Knot", correct? They have a silvertip and a "2 band". Based on the description I'm guessing the 2 band is the one you're recommending?
Any ideas where I can acquire one that is brand new, pref in a black handle? I can't seem to find any through google.

BTW you made the handle of my DG B14 brush, I love it! Thanks! May need to revisit a similar handle with a different knot in the future.
I think I got mine from "Gifts and Care":
Mine is in a black, chubby style handle. I measured the knot it is 27.5/28 mm at exit with a very short loft of 50 mm.
It is really densely packed with hair. Its a great brush and the only negative thing I have to report about it was that it stank to high heaven when I got it. I never had any brush before that smelled, but this one takes the cake. I used to live not too far from a pig farm in Germany, and on a couple days in the year when the wind was in the wrong direction, it really stinks....so did this brush. Took me at least 5-10 lathers with soap to get it out.

I think I got mine from "Gifts and Care":
Mine is in a black, chubby style handle. I measured the knot it is 27.5/28 mm at exit with a very short loft of 50 mm.
It is really densely packed with hair. Its a great brush and the only negative thing I have to report about it was that it stank to high heaven when I got it. I never had any brush before that smelled, but this one takes the cake. I used to live not too far from a pig farm in Germany, and on a couple days in the year when the wind was in the wrong direction, it really stinks....so did this brush. Took me at least 5-10 lathers with soap to get it out.
IMG_5877.jpeg

Thanks for the recommendation! I found the black handle listed on the Nordic Shaving Company's website. The brush is very dense with amazing backbone. I think a lot of people would enjoy this brush as the scritch is fairly nominal.

I think I will eventually get a Semogue and Zenith brush as well. Debating on selling my chubby 2 silvertip and shavemac 2 band bulb. But I will definitely wait a while before I make any decisions.

Semogue SOC Two-Band and SOC Mistura (50/50 finest badger/premium boar) are both excellent brushes that have good backbone with reasonably soft tips. If you want a smaller brush, Semogue has the C5 series and C3 series with similar type knots. I'm sure Shavemac is in a class of its own, but the Semogues are very nice.

Top Bottom