What's new

Knot removal

B

Benjamin Moran

Anybody know a good brush maker that offers the service of extracting the knot from the handle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you trying to keep the knot & handle intact?

if yes for both, i doubt there is anyone willing to accept payment and guarantee satisfaction.

B

Benjamin Moran

Are you trying to keep the knot & handle intact?

if yes for both, i doubt there is anyone willing to accept payment and guarantee satisfaction.

No the knot is dead on arrival I just want to save and reuse the handle.

No the knot is dead on arrival I just want to save and reuse the handle.

if you wanted to try diy, i’ve seen folks cut the knot flush to handle with shears and then used a dremel or forstner to clear out the remainder. Then add knot with adhesive.

others have steamed out a knot, but that could be harmful to handle, depending on material, time, heat.

if you wanted to try diy, i’ve seen folks cut the knot flush to handle with shears and then used a dremel or forstner to clear out the remainder. Then add knot with adhesive.

others have steamed out a knot, but that could be harmful to handle, depending on material, time, heat.
From everything I've heard from brushmakers, don't try steaming out the knot unless

a. you know for sure that it was set with silicone rather than epoxy
OR
b. you're willing to risk damaging the handle

I've tried the DIY route. The glue base in brush knots are not easy to grind out without damaging the handle. If I needed this service again I'd ask Rudy at Ultimate Pen Designs.

I've tried the DIY route. The glue base in brush knots are not easy to grind out without damaging the handle. If I needed this service again I'd ask Rudy at Ultimate Pen Designs.

Once you have done one they can be removed very easy, never damaged a handle yet in over 60 brushes.....

B

Benjamin Moran

Anybody know a good brush maker that offers the service of extracting the knot from the handle?

Follow up: Razor Emporium is going to replace the knot. I want to thank everyone for their comments.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I'm going to be removing an old knot from a ceramic brush handle; thinking a good boil might be a place to start.

Then the haircut and the dremel.

It's a Rooney "fox & hounds."

AA

I'm going to be removing an old knot from a ceramic brush handle; thinking a good boil might be a place to start.

Then the haircut and the dremel.

It's a Rooney "fox & hounds."

AA
No problem with the ceramics, you could steam it for hours and I bet that at the end, you will just be able to pull the knot out.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Ad Astra

The Instigator
No problem with the ceramics, you could steam it for hours and I bet that at the end, you will just be able to pull the knot out.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Afraid of damaging the graphics... Left enough broken glue to attach new knot. Which comes today, I hope.

AA

For people who like to be bold and take risks, I've removed knots on 2 modern resin brushes using this method without any damage to the handles. For one of them, the knot's glue base fell apart so don't expect to keep the knot. I scraped out the remaining residue from the socket and set a new knot with silicone that works perfectly. The steam method is for epoxy and handles that you know won't be damaged by steam.

If you bought a brush that you know is set with silicone, just a good hard pull will remove the knot. I've done this too. Some brushmakers will offer silicone instead of epoxy if you might want to change the knot or adjust the loft.

For people who like to be bold and take risks, I've removed knots on 2 modern resin brushes using this method without any damage to the handles. For one of them, the knot's glue base fell apart so don't expect to keep the knot. I scraped out the remaining residue from the socket and set a new knot with silicone that works perfectly. The steam method is for epoxy and handles that you know won't be damaged by steam.

If you bought a brush that you know is set with silicone, just a good hard pull will remove the knot. I've done this too. Some brushmakers will offer silicone instead of epoxy if you might want to change the knot or adjust the loft.

I would never recommend steaming a knot out as this is very risky, as the resin is a form of plastic and heat tends to warp resin and plastic so do this at your own risk....

I would never recommend steaming a knot out as this is very risky, as the resin is a form of plastic and heat tends to warp resin and plastic so do this at your own risk....
I agree that steaming can be risky, but I took a chance on an old Bakelite Ever Ready brush. The brush came with a matching stand. Since I bought the stand and brush mainly for the stand (another restored Ever Ready brush fits perfectly), I was willing to take a chance with steaming out the knot. After 45 minutes of steaming, the knot pulled out easily and cleanly. The Bakelite brush handle was undamaged. I wouldn't try steaming on a handle you value highly, but for a spare handle, it's worth a try.

Top Bottom