What's new

Knot recommendations

Dear B&B

I have a couple of nice Ever Ready handles for restoration and I am looking for knot recommendations that will provide me with something different to what I already have. One of the handles could take a 22mm knot and the other a 24mm.

My brush collection currently consists of the following - Edwin Jagger Medium Best; TGN 22mm Silvertip Grade A set at 50mm; TGN 22mm Finest set at 44mm.

I also have the following brushes on their way - Simpson Chubby 2 in Best; Semogue Owners Club.

I like the two TGN knots that I already have and was thinking of getting a couple more but setting them at different lofts e.g. Finest set at 50mm and Silvertip Grade A at 45mm.

Before I order the knots would appreciate any recommendations.

Cheers
Paul

Its not worlds different, but my favorite TGN knots are the 22mm super silvertip (not the Super Badger), and the extra stuffed finest 24mm. The super sivlertip is noticeably softer than the grade A. The backbone seems a bit lower, but if you set it low you still get a great brush. I have mine set at 44mm and its a great little face lather (sliceOfLife preferred his at 41mm), but at 48 it was a very luxurious cream brush.

Then the 24mm extra stuffed finest feels much more dense than the 26mm extra stuffed, so I'm assuming its even more different than the vanilla finest. I have my 24mm set at 50, and its just fantastic.

Another option might be the boar hair knot. I have not used one, but I have almost purchased one several times out of curiosity.

Its not worlds different, but my favorite TGN knots are the 22mm super silvertip (not the Super Badger), and the extra stuffed finest 24mm. The super sivlertip is noticeably softer than the grade A. The backbone seems a bit lower, but if you set it low you still get a great brush. I have mine set at 44mm and its a great little face lather (sliceOfLife preferred his at 41mm), but at 48 it was a very luxurious cream brush.

Then the 24mm extra stuffed finest feels much more dense than the 26mm extra stuffed, so I'm assuming its even more different than the vanilla finest. I have my 24mm set at 50, and its just fantastic.

Another option might be the boar hair knot. I have not used one, but I have almost purchased one several times out of curiosity.

Thanks Loric

The super silvertip sounds good. I think I might get one and set it at 44mm as you have. The other I will do in Finest at 50mm.

I would like to get the Finest in a 24mm knot. Both handles have openings of 20-21mm. I am comfortable increasing the hole size to 22mm if required but am a bit apprehensive about increasing it to 24mm. Have you any experience of increasing the opening by 3-4mm?

Do you have a pic of the handle you would like to increase the size on? It really isn't difficult, if you take your time. I increased a 20mm to fit a 24mm knot. It changed the shape of the brush a bit, but it looks good.

I think the 24mm extra stuffed finest is a pretty nice knot. I like it a good bit more then the 22mm extra stuffed finest. The yellow brush on the right of the pic is a 24mm finest set at 49mm. The green and black one is a 22mm super silvertip set at 45mm. The white brush has a 22mm finest set at 45mm.

If I were going to do it over, I would set the 24mm Extra stuffed a bit lower. It splays just a bit more then I prefer, but is still a nice brush.

proxy.php

Hi,

You might give some thought on a 24 super badger from tony.I used one set at 53mm and it feels just like my T-H branded rooney 1/3.

Best wishes,
Dale

Thanks Loric

The super silvertip sounds good. I think I might get one and set it at 44mm as you have. The other I will do in Finest at 50mm.

I would like to get the Finest in a 24mm knot. Both handles have openings of 20-21mm. I am comfortable increasing the hole size to 22mm if required but am a bit apprehensive about increasing it to 24mm. Have you any experience of increasing the opening by 3-4mm?

If you are worried about expanding the knot bed to much, just pick up a 22mm extra stuffed finest. I have not used that exact knot, but it gets equity good reviews from some of the harshest critics here. You can also trim a MM or so off of the knot bed with out loosing much hair, I know people have sanded the extra glue off and had good results, but again I have not attempted this technique.

Top Bottom