What's new

Knot recommendations for a custom brush

So I spent all day lurking yesterday and had to register to ask a few questions.

My husband's birthday is coming up in a couple weeks and he has expressed interest in wet shaving. I purchased him a Merkur HD and am having a custom brush made for him with a koa handle from some wood I picked up in Kawaii while we were on vacation there.

I need suggestions on knots. I am going with TGN and am leaning towards a silvertip Grade A 24mm. I make shave soaps, so that will be what he uses, rather than a cream. I imagine he wants mostly soft feel with enough backbone to it. Thoughts? I'll be sure to post pictures of the completed brush.

Also, he shaves his head as well, can you even do that with a DE?

I have the Silvertip Grade A, and while a nice knot, I prefer the extra back bone and density of the Extra-stuffed 2-band Finests. The Finest has great back bone and nice soft tips. It's one of my favorite knots. I have a 24mm set at about 51mm loft, which is a good versatile performer and a 22mm set at 46mm, which is really nice for face lathering soaps.

Last edited:
So I spent all day lurking yesterday and had to register to ask a few questions.

My husband's birthday is coming up in a couple weeks and he has expressed interest in wet shaving. I purchased him a Merkur HD and am having a custom brush made for him with a koa handle from some wood I picked up in Kawaii while we were on vacation there.

I need suggestions on knots. I am going with TGN and am leaning towards a silvertip Grade A 24mm. I make shave soaps, so that will be what he uses, rather than a cream. I imagine he wants mostly soft feel with enough backbone to it. Thoughts? I'll be sure to post pictures of the completed brush.

Also, he shaves his head as well, can you even do that with a DE?

Hi Jen, welcome.

I would personally recommend a 22 or 24 mm TGN Finest Extra Stuffed knot. I have a custom brush with a 22mm knot and loft set at 50mm. I am a cream user and bowl lather and this brush has superb backbone, it could easily be a soaps brush. The tips are very very soft without a hint of any "scritchiness", as we call it here.

I don't have any experience with the TGN Silvertip A knots. I have heard they have pretty good density but you would need to set the loft a lot shorter in order to achieve the backbone necessary for a good soaps brush.

My brush could probably be used for just about any purpose which makes it a fantastic brush. I'm sure you'll get additional feedback here about these excellent knots and some other ideas for best success.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
+1 you can't go wrong with a finest extra stuffed. Super soft tips, firm enough to load up on soap easily, lathers like whipped cream. The lower the loft the firmer, so that is where the variables and YMMV. Personally the 24 set at 48 is too firm for me, while the 22 set at around 55 is perfect, although 55 is considered floppish for most....

You guys are awesome! The 24mm finest extra is on it's way. I also went ahead and ordered a mama bear soap since the soaps I make have olive oil in them and that seems to be a no no.

You guys are awesome! The 24mm finest extra is on it's way. I also went ahead and ordered a mama bear soap since the soaps I make have olive oil in them and that seems to be a no no.

I just found this on the Cremo Cream website. Now Cremo Cream is indeed a cream and not a soap but it has Olive Oil in it and:

Olea Europaea (Olive) Leaf Extract is a fancy scientific name for cold pressed olive oil. Used for thousands of years and even called “liquid gold” by Homer, olive oil is used a skin conditioner, having moisturizing and healing effects.

Maybe you're on the right track!

You wouldn't have gone wrong with either the Finest or Silvertip A.
See my wiki link from my sig for my take on the knots. :)

I have Grade A and Finest knots in 18 and 20mm diameter. I prefer the Finest over the Grade A, but both make excellent brushes. I have nothing in the sizes you are considering however.

Nice gift I must say...

I have two brushes set about the same 20mm x about 46-48mm loft...HERE

One is a Grade A Silvertip (red handle Ever Ready) and one is an Extra Stuffed Finest (black and white handle EverReady). Both can lather a soap efficiently. I haven't had an issue with either. I think you would be fine with either knot.

Edit: missed your post about having ordered a knot...that knot will make a really nice brush. Good gift!!

I just received a variety of knot sizes and grades from TGN and after comparing them I like the 30mm Silvertip grade A, even though the Super Badger is suppose to be better... View attachment 144653

View attachment 144652 From left to right 30mm Silvertip Grade A, 26mm Super Badger, 24mm Silvertip Grade A, 24mm Short Loft Silvertip. In my opinion the 30mm Silvertip Grade A is the densest and softest. - Blade Boy

Thought I should pop in for an update!

The brush turned out wonderfully and my husband was/is super excited about his new gear. He has the camera today, but I will try to get pictures up tomorrow.
Just one downside: I used his DE and now I have to get all my own stuff because I am totally hooked. Thanks to ebay, my Lady's Gillette is on it's way.
Thanks again, everyone!

Thought I should pop in for an update!

The brush turned out wonderfully and my husband was/is super excited about his new gear. He has the camera today, but I will try to get pictures up tomorrow.
Just one downside: I used his DE and now I have to get all my own stuff because I am totally hooked. Thanks to ebay, my Lady's Gillette is on it's way.
Thanks again, everyone!

Congrats on the brush and great choice on the knot.

Since you have a razor on the way now, you will have to work on a brush for yourself. :thumbup1:

Since you have a razor on the way now, you will have to work on a brush for yourself. :thumbup1:

Too true! I think for mine I'm gonna go ahead and turn it myself. Been a while since woodshop, but I think I can handle it. Plus I want to add some inlay work.

Anyway, I posted pics of the brush here.

Top Bottom