What's new

Knot question

proxy.php

I need some help fellas, I don’t own a caliper (sorry) and the conversion from inches isn’t perfect. so would I want a 24 or 26mm for this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I read the bore measurement as 1 1/16". That works out to approximately 27mm. You need roughly 1mm allowance between the bore hole and the knot. A 26mm knot should be a good fit.

That’s exactly what it is, perfect that makes sense because I carved out some metal ring that was inside of it and I saw on some YouTube video awhile ago something about a 26mm metal ring inside these old handles. Thank you very much [emoji1374]

It depends on the knot.

26mm might be perfect, but some knots have irregular core shapes. Some knots expand right above the glue disc, so that you may need 3mm extra on each side.

Some makers give the knot size differently. One may mean that 26mm, for example, should be the hole size for that knot. Most I think, mean that the glue disc is 26 in diameter.

If you don't have the knot already, to measure it, you can check about most of these questions with the maker.

(Sent from mobile)

I’d definitely get a 26, and if it doesn’t quite fit, you can trim the knot a bit with a dremel, or a belt sander.

Be careful and don’t fit it too tight. You removed a ring which was there for safety. Now the handle walls are going to have to take all the pressure when the knot is soaked. I would soak that new knot for a few hours and let it expand for another few, and then check the fit in the handle again, before setting it with silicone or glue.

I’d definitely get a 26, and if it doesn’t quite fit, you can trim the knot a bit with a dremel, or a belt sander.

Be careful and don’t fit it too tight. You removed a ring which was there for safety. Now the handle walls are going to have to take all the pressure when the knot is soaked. I would soak that new knot for a few hours and let it expand for another few, and then check the fit in the handle again, before setting it with silicone or glue.

That’s a good idea about test fitting while wet, the ring held the base of the old knot it had to go. But the knot shouldn’t really swell being synthetic?

That’s a good idea about test fitting while wet, the ring held the base of the old knot it had to go. But the knot shouldn’t really swell being synthetic?

There is always a little bit of swelling, but yes, hopefully not much. My point was to just be careful and not force things, since 26mm at the plug, going into a 27mm socket can get a little challenging, especially with generic factory knots, where you may have a glue bump to deal with (that’s where it will swell the most).

There is always a little bit of swelling, but yes, hopefully not much. My point was to just be careful and not force things, since 26mm at the plug, going into a 27mm socket can get a little challenging, especially with generic factory knots, where you may have a glue bump to deal with (that’s where it will swell the most).

Gotcha, you’re def right about test fitting while wet that’s a good call. Looking forward to receiving knot and giving it a go

A set of calipers is a really nice tool to own. If you're interested, know that you don't have to buy an expensive set. The ones I own are around $12 at Harbor Freight.

1.125" = 28.5 mm

A 26mm might be a little loose.

1.125 is 1 1/18 so a 28mm would be close to that measurement. The measurement of my handle is 1 1/16 so 1.0625 I’m hoping the 26 is just right

A set of calipers is a really nice tool to own. If you're interested, know that you don't have to buy an expensive set. The ones I own are around $12 at Harbor Freight.

I know you’d think I’d have a set laying around I have a wood shop lol I’ll pick a set next harbor freight trip

Top Bottom