What's new

Knot popped out of handle

Either epoxy or RTV silicone. Epoxy is generally the preferred glue to use.
While I agreed with your response, I had to look up "RTV" :cool:

RTV silicone is a liquid silicone compound that cures at room temperature to form a flexible rubber. This can be either an Adhesive Sealant, Moulding Rubber or Electronic Encapsulant Potting Compound. The term RTV means Room Temperature Vulcanizing.

I'm assuming my Google-fu is still strong :)

My van der hagen boar brush just comited suicide. The knot came out of the handle. My question is what kind of glue can I use to fix it?
I've had that happen two times in different brushes. Once about 5 or 6 months ago in a Muhle boar and the first time maybe 7 or 8 years ago in a badger brush. I used super glue in both and they're both still holding up.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
While I agreed with your response, I had to look up "RTV" :cool:

RTV silicone is a liquid silicone compound that cures at room temperature to form a flexible rubber. This can be either an Adhesive Sealant, Moulding Rubber or Electronic Encapsulant Potting Compound. The term RTV means Room Temperature Vulcanizing.

I'm assuming my Google-fu is still strong :)
Thanks you saved me. Was wondering about that too

If you go with the epoxy DON'T use this brand:

61YnAnZXiVL._SL1000_.jpg

I usually use Gorilla Glue 1-part Epoxy but used this when Gorilla Glue wasn't available and I had three different knots fall out. If you do use it, it apparently requires a lot more than the Gorilla Glue epoxy

This has me worried a wee bit. I’m pretty aggressive when I clean my brushes and I shake them off in the shower, which now I hear you’re not supposed to do,then brush them off on a towel.

One thing you might want to consider is buying a new knot for the handle. I have several VDH brushes; every single one of them is a shedder. Still, my regular brush is a VDH silvertip, which has lost over 100 hairs and still sheds. However, I promised myself that if the knot ever falls out, I'm going to buy a replacement knot from one of several vendors and put it in the handle, which I rather like.

So I glue the knot back in the brush with so epoxy. so far so good. I also order an omega 80266 that should be here in a few days.
I would not recommend re-using the original knot. Van Der Hagen boar knots are bottom of the barrel quality. Spend the money on a new knot and use marine epoxy. Marine epoxy is water proof.

I bought several knots of much better quality from Maggards and a marine epoxy from the local hardware super store to re-knot a few VDH brushes. I chose synthetic knots, but go with what you like.

Of course, if you choose this route, you may be without a viable shave brush for some time.

I know it's a minority position, but I prefer to use RTV silicone. It's not as permanent as epoxy. That's what I like. It's strong enough. If I like a handle, I can even search for another knot to put in it. I can play with loft by adding spacers and what not.

In the end, if in five to ten years one of my knots pops out. Hey, silicone is right there again.

Put another way, use what you want or have on hand. You'll be happy no matter what.

Reactions: bjm
Top Bottom