What's new

Knot most similar to Paladin

Hey all, I apologize if this question has been asked/answered before, but between search engines and the search function I couldn't find an answer. I have an alluminati handle that I love, but the knot is starting to give up the ghost. I don't know the dimensions on the knot (I think it's a 28 mm knot based on comparing with my other brushes). I have one Paladin brush to my name, a 2CSLH4. I love this brush. It has the perfect face feel from the tips, excellent backbone and flow through, and creates the most excellent lathers. I have read up on the SHD knots coming out lately, but I worry that they will be lather hogs. The Paladin releases the lather without any coaxing from me. I have had a few lather hog brushes and I just have never gotten along with them. Are there any knots I can buy loose that would get me somewhere close to a Paladin knot? Thanks for any assistance you can provide!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
The closest to it that I’ve tried are Elite Manchurian and Thater 2 Band Silvertip. That said, every knot is also different and I have a current Thater that’s more scrubby than a past 2 Band 4125 I had that was gel tipped.

The closest to it that I’ve tried are Elite Manchurian and Thater 2 Band Silvertip. That said, every knot is also different and I have a current Thater that’s more scrubby than a past 2 Band 4125 I had that was gel tipped.

I agree. Knots can be very different, even if from the same manufacturer. Most Paladins are soft. I've had some with hooked tips and others without.

Elite manchurian, Shavemac 2 bands, Envy whites are all good 2 bands that aren't super dense.

I know exactly what you are talking about here. I have 2 Paladin brushes, one B5 knot and one L6 knot. Completely different from each other. The B5 is older and I actually enjoy it more. Not pillow soft but soft enough and great backbone. Releases lather like a champ. The L6 is pillowy soft and a bit of a “high dense” brush. It has its days for when I want super soft, but I have to usually overload the brush for it to release enough lather and don’t get as good of a scrub. I’ve been on the search for a while but haven’t found one yet that is comparable. I’d recommend looking more towards a regular two band. All the rage seems to be Manchurian nowadays, but it seems most who sell this knot have the tips treated so that it’s super soft which moves it further away from being as scrubby. I have elites Manchurian, but enjoy my Paladins more.

I agree. Knots can be very different, even if from the same manufacturer. Most Paladins are soft. I've had some with hooked tips and others without.

Elite manchurian, Shavemac 2 bands, Envy whites are all good 2 bands that aren't super dense.
I saw the envy whites last night for the first time. Thanks for the suggestions!

I know exactly what you are talking about here. I have 2 Paladin brushes, one B5 knot and one L6 knot. Completely different from each other. The B5 is older and I actually enjoy it more. Not pillow soft but soft enough and great backbone. Releases lather like a champ. The L6 is pillowy soft and a bit of a “high dense” brush. It has its days for when I want super soft, but I have to usually overload the brush for it to release enough lather and don’t get as good of a scrub. I’ve been on the search for a while but haven’t found one yet that is comparable. I’d recommend looking more towards a regular two band. All the rage seems to be Manchurian nowadays, but it seems most who sell this knot have the tips treated so that it’s super soft which moves it further away from being as scrubby. I have elites Manchurian, but enjoy my Paladins more.

I have a Yaqi two band, it just isn't the same as the Paladin. I'll have to look into the suggestions above. I appreciate the info about the manchurians. And glad I'm not the only one who finds these knots nearly perfect.

I have a Yaqi two band, it just isn't the same as the Paladin. I'll have to look into the suggestions above. I appreciate the info about the manchurians. And glad I'm not the only one who finds these knots nearly perfect.

I have a brush with an Oumo knot that’s a decent Paladin substitute as well. It’s not one of their HD knots, and has good backbone but tips that are very nice when wet.

I saw the envy whites last night for the first time. Thanks for the suggestions!

They used to be really good. Very popular a few years ago. Now there are more options and they don't seem to get the praise they used to. Not saying the quality has gone down, just that it's not the newest, hottest thing. This seems to happen to a lot of stuff in this (or any) hobby.

They used to be really good. Very popular a few years ago. Now there are more options and they don't seem to get the praise they used to. Not saying the quality has gone down, just that it's not the newest, hottest thing. This seems to happen to a lot of stuff in this (or any) hobby.
The SHD knots seem to be very popular right now. Likely some of that is because they are new. My concern with them is that they almost universally seem to be "lather hogs". I read one review where a gent massages the base of all his badger knots to coax lather from them, so the SHD didn't bother him. I personally don't massage the base of any of my badgers, just my synths. The synths trap water at the knot base, so if I don't squeeze out this water it just starts running down my face and arms instead.

Keep any other recommendations coming gents! I'll be looking into a lot of these options listed.

The SHD knots seem to be very popular right now. Likely some of that is because they are new. My concern with them is that they almost universally seem to be "lather hogs". I read one review where a gent massages the base of all his badger knots to coax lather from them, so the SHD didn't bother him. I personally don't massage the base of any of my badgers, just my synths. The synths trap water at the knot base, so if I don't squeeze out this water it just starts running down my face and arms instead.

Keep any other recommendations coming gents! I'll be looking into a lot of these options listed.

I have a Maggard's SHD and it is very dense. I suspect you would call it a lather hog. It does shave very nice soft tips and feels like a wall of badger. Elite Razor Manchurian knots are also very nice. I think the Shavemac 2 band Silvertip is the standard knots are measured against. It is for me. That is a fantastic knot. Although they are expensive.

Top Bottom