What's new

Knot keeps breaking free

Hello everyone, I am at my wits end with this brush and knot. I have a Alpha T-400 shaving brush and I love it but the trouble I am having is gluing the badger knot I have to the circular base plate that gets screwed to the ferral. I glue the knot and wait 18 to 24 hours and then screw it into the ferral.

It is good for about 10 to 20 shaves, give or take, and then it comes loose. I have used Gorrilla 5 minute epoxy and I have also tried JB weld clearweld epoxy and they both break free after a little use. I have sanded down the base plate to rough up the surface as well as the base of the knot to see if that helps the epoxy hold better but no luck.

What am I doing wrong guys, I have never had any problems with other brushes I have done.

Sorry for the rant.

I just got a response from Steve at Alpha and it seems I was doing this wrong. The best approach is to screw the disc into the ferrule, dry fit your knot and adjust the disc manually until you get your desired height THEN glue the whole lot in place - disc, knot and ferrule. Great customer service on Steve's part he replied to my inquiry faster than I expected. Off to work on the brush again, hopefully for the last time.

In theory your approach should work, and this idea has actually been mentioned (Dr. Matt on YouTube). I might try to replicate your process. Just to get Steve to send me a couple of those disks..

Have you made sure your surfaces are degreased properly? Soap residue on the knot would be problematic, for example... So maybe after you roughen up the surfaces, spray some alcohol on them, and wipe off a few times.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I just got a response from Steve at Alpha and it seems I was doing this wrong. The best approach is to screw the disc into the ferrule, dry fit your knot and adjust the disc manually until you get your desired height THEN glue the whole lot in place - disc, knot and ferrule. Great customer service on Steve's part he replied to my inquiry faster than I expected. Off to work on the brush again, hopefully for the last time.
Thanks for posting this
If i ever get around to setting mine i know what to do now

Sorry for the delay guys. I have set the knot and waited 24 hours before using it. Also to answer a previous question, yes I use alcohol to clean the surface of the disk and knot to remove soap or oil before gluing it. Unfortunately that didn’t work for me. As of now, gluing the knot the way Steve suggested has worked out. Been using the brush for about 8 shaves now and no movement. Here are the pictures you requested.
10D2B84D-D8E8-40FE-8039-DB9766F181D0.jpeg
F3C9E23B-D182-4BAA-9C9B-1D9DA33D6CDD.jpeg
F45F4643-4FDA-4C9E-B1CF-58EDAC819F94.jpeg

Top Bottom