What's new

Knot adjustment advice

This Shavemac 24 mm knot was supposedly set at a 50mm loft, but it measures closer to 47-48. The knot is smaller than it appears and has not bloomed after many uses. I like a knot with backbone, but wish this had been set a bit higher so it would splay more easily.
I need advice on the best way to remove and reset this knot without damaging the knot or handle.
Questions:
1. If I do it myself, what’s the best way to remove the knot without damaging the knot or handle?
2. Can you recommend any vendors who would do this for me at a reasonable price so I don’t screw it up?

Thanks, guys.

Attachments

• 04D68703-5856-4C60-8EEA-6BF86199016C.jpeg
    04D68703-5856-4C60-8EEA-6BF86199016C.jpeg
    5.5 MB · Views: 29
No guarantees with knot removal unfortunately.
I think many set knots too deep and they just don't perform well. Too high and they are sloppy mops.
Lather hogs (deep set) they are and never release lather properly. It can be night and day with the same knot.
Perhaps shavemac themselves could do this?

linty1

My wallet cries.
From what I've read on the topic, you can keep one (handle or knot) but not both in a harvest. You may chance out though? In terms of ppl that can reknot for you (save the handle, put in a new knot) Larry (whipped dog) and Rudy V would be my two recs.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
This is not an easy task. Your option one will not work. Either the handle or the knot will have to be sacrificed.
Best would be to sell it and get a new one with your specifications. The website of Shavemac offers additionally
loft options (+ and -). For a 24 mm (nominal) bulb knot, you definitely want to go with a loft of 50-52. The knot size is always about 1-1.5 mm larger than the advertised size. This 1-1.5 is true for Shavemac, but I have seen sizes up to 5 mm larger than the nominal size value from others. Don't forget, a bulb set deep will be pointy and not very comfortable on the face, however, yours does not look pointy, indicating the knot was made for this loft.

This is not an easy task. Your option one will not work. Either the handle or the knot will have to be sacrificed.
Best would be to sell it and get a new one with your specifications. The website of Shavemac offers additionally
loft options (+ and -). For a 24 mm (nominal) bulb knot, you definitely want to go with a loft of 50-52. The knot size is always about 1-1.5 mm larger than the advertised size. This 1-1.5 is true for Shavemac, but I have seen sizes up to 5 mm larger than the nominal size value from others. Don't forget, a bulb set deep will be pointy and not very comfortable on the face, however, yours does not look pointy, indicating the knot was made for this loft.

Thanks, Rudy. This is helpful info. With a bulb knot this shape, might it loosen up over time and require less pressure to splay, or is it more likely to perform the same long term?,

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Thanks, Rudy. This is helpful info. With a bulb knot this shape, might it loosen up over time and require less pressure to splay, or is it more likely to perform the same long term?,
It should loosen up over time, bulbs are the knots that take more time/pressure. The outside hairs support the knot much more, they are shorter and this makes them feel stiffer, and less prone to open. Fans are a different animal, they splay much easier. I have to admit, for years I was nearly exclusively using fans, but have developed a love now for bulbs, and my favorite brush is actually one I made for myself, its a bulb Shavemac two-band silvertip, 28 mm exit size with a short loft of 51 mm (values rounded down to full mm), see picture. In my current rotation I have 17 brushes, and 7 are bulbs.
My Favorite.JPG

It should loosen up over time, bulbs are the knots that take more time/pressure. The outside hairs support the knot much more, they are shorter and this makes them feel stiffer, and less prone to open. Fans are a different animal, they splay much easier. I have to admit, for years I was nearly exclusively using fans, but have developed a love now for bulbs, and my favorite brush is actually one I made for myself, its a bulb Shavemac two-band silvertip, 28 mm exit size with a short loft of 51 mm (values rounded down to full mm), see picture. In my current rotation I have 17 brushes, and 7 are bu
28mm seems huge to me. But the bulb shape should allow for more precise face lathering. The knot is also beautifully proportioned.

Top Bottom