What's new

"Knock-off" Gold Dollar?

I know this is a somewhat comical topic to ask if a GD is possibly a knock-off, but here it is.

I recently bought a "Gold Dollar Shave Club" razor and strop kit off Amazon, simply as a practice set to become proficient before doing anything with my other razor. But this razor looks like it's possibly a fake, trying to capitalize on the Gold Dollar name as a recognized economical and SR. The tang isn't stamped with GD's logo, it's a different shape than the GDs I've seen while shopping around since (a smiling Spanish point blade rather than a round tip), and the scales are crappy and misaligned/poorly assembled. The blade has "Gold Dollar Shave Club 2017" etched/printed on the blade. Good enough for what I got it for, but absolutely nothing more. Not that I care all that much, but is it a GD or a knockoff?

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
It’s real, one of the special editions I believe. Since you can get a 66 for about $3-4, it’s going to be hard to ‘capitalize’ on the Gold Dollar name - I would not want that job! Crappy scales, misaligned, poorly assembled? That’s what about 30% of all Gold Dollars are regardless of price or model. The workmanship, if you can call it that, gets better as the numbers get higher, but the odds of getting a dud unfortunately seem about the same.

Based on some wear, it's evident it was honed, albeit shoddily. Don't think I'll ever put it to my face.

On a side note I just ordered a "shave ready" GD from WSP since I was ordering other supplies from them anyway. Want to see how Lee's honing is as I'd consider his honing services from asharperrazor.com in the future. That one I might consider putting to my face, at least to try the honing work.

Top Bottom