What's new

Knob creek rye

Saw knob creek had a rye last trip to the local liquor store. Knob creek is one of my favorite bourbons and i love bulleit rye more and more every time I drink it--like it much more than bulleit bourbon. Anyone trie the knob creek rye? Any thoughts for someone who likes both bourbon and rye( although very limiter rye experience)

I went through a rye phase a few years ago, and generally found the ryes to be better to my taste than the bourbon from the same brand - Bulleit, Wild Turkey, Jim Beam, etc. Bulleit Rye has a reserved spot in my bar, while I won't bother buying Bulleit Bourbon again for any reason. I save my non-rye whiskey money for Stranahan's, and the occasional bottle of scotch.

I may have to track down Knob Creek Rye. When I used to pick up the occasional bottle of bourbon, I seem to remember that being a pretty decent one. Better than a lot of the bigger names in the bourbon game.

Tried it at the local liquor store a few months back. Liked it, bought a bottle but haven't cracked it yet. I have so much open I need to finish a few before I crack open another. This one really brings the spice... very nice if you like that... I do now and then.

It is on my list. I am not crazy about the LDI distilled ryes of which Bulleit is one, as is some of the private label Willet ryes. Dickel Rye is also made at LDI. A few years ago, regular Rittenhouse BIB blew me away, later bottles have not been so good.

This brings us to Beam. Some rye experts have told me that Knob Creek Rye is basically the really good barrels of what would have been Old Overholt and this makes sense as Beam owns both brands. Beam does the same with Old Grand Dad, they pick the best barrels and set them aside for Basil Hayden, a more upscale product. Chances are if you like Overholt, you'll like Knob Creek Rye as it will be a Cadillac version of the Chevy product.

It is on my list. I am not crazy about the LDI distilled ryes of which Bulleit is one, as is some of the private label Willet ryes. Dickel Rye is also made at LDI. A few years ago, regular Rittenhouse BIB blew me away, later bottles have not been so good.

This brings us to Beam. Some rye experts have told me that Knob Creek Rye is basically the really good barrels of what would have been Old Overholt and this makes sense as Beam owns both brands. Beam does the same with Old Grand Dad, they pick the best barrels and set them aside for Basil Hayden, a more upscale product. Chances are if you like Overholt, you'll like Knob Creek Rye as it will be a Cadillac version of the Chevy product.

Interesting. Old Overcoat is underrated, IMO--but it used to be better.

As for the LDI Rye, have you tried Dickel's version yet? They really did put the Dickel stamp on this Rye. A step above what others have done with it, IMO. But then again, I'm a sucker for the Dickel style.

Interesting. Old Overcoat is underrated, IMO--but it used to be better.

As for the LDI Rye, have you tried Dickel's version yet? They really did put the Dickel stamp on this Rye. A step above what others have done with it, IMO. But then again, I'm a sucker for the Dickel style.

There is huge variation from year to year and batch to batch of products. Some years a $20 whisky is amazing, other years flat and dull. I have not tried Dickel rye but probably will. It is distilled at LDI and then gets filtered in the Dickel/Tennessee style maple charcoal style. I cannot recall if filtering occurs before or after barrel aging but read that the filtering for the rye occurs at a different time than the regular Dickel. I think the regular Dickel is filtered right after distillation and before aging so that would mean the rye is filtered after aging. I suspect there may not be a lot of similarity between the Dickel rye and say the #12 Dickel which is outstanding in my view.

There is huge variation from year to year and batch to batch of products. Some years a $20 whisky is amazing, other years flat and dull. I have not tried Dickel rye but probably will. It is distilled at LDI and then gets filtered in the Dickel/Tennessee style maple charcoal style. I cannot recall if filtering occurs before or after barrel aging but read that the filtering for the rye occurs at a different time than the regular Dickel. I think the regular Dickel is filtered right after distillation and before aging so that would mean the rye is filtered after aging. I suspect there may not be a lot of similarity between the Dickel rye and say the #12 Dickel which is outstanding in my view.

You are correct about the filtering. And while it doesn't take like Dickel #12, there is a definite family resemblance. It is very different than the other LDI ryes I have tried.

Top Bottom