What's new

Knife sharpening

So, I purchased my wife a higher end knife for her birthday this month. Now I am looking to sharpen it myself rather than sending it out. I also am considering using the same stones for sharpening my straight razors. There are a few cheaper whetstones that indicate they fit the bill. Is there a reason to dive into Sharpton or Norton stones?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Arguably the demands on stone quality goes up as one gets into the higher grits. With low grit stones the complaints of poor quality are normally related to speed of cutting, clogging, and fast dishing, but the end results are going to be comparable to higher quality stones.

People, especially newbies to knife sharpening, are typically finishing knives at around the grit that we start with on razors. The King deluxe 1k is a very well known inexpensive stone that could be used for both knives and early stages of razor honing (bevel setting). It is on the soft side so it dishes fairly quickly and needs to be soaked, but it is certainly usable and a good place for you to start IMO. It's inexpensive enough that trying to save $ by going to a stone with less of a track record is pointless.

As you're going into higher grits, especially for razor honing, I would recommend staying with the stones that the rest of us are using. If $ is an issue look into lapping film.

Last edited:
Arguably the demands on stone quality goes up as one gets into the higher grits. With low grit stones the complaints of poor quality are normally related to speed of cutting, clogging, and fast dishing, but the end results are going to be comparable to higher quality stones.

People, especially newbies to knife sharpening, are typically finishing knives at around the grit that we start with on razors. The King deluxe 1k is a very well known inexpensive stone that could be used for both knives and early stages of razor honing (bevel setting). It is on the soft side so it dishes fairly quickly and needs to be soaked, but it is certainly usable and a good place for you to start IMO. It's inexpensive enough that trying to save $ by going to a stone with less of a track record is pointless.

As you're going into higher grits, especially for razor honing, I would recommend staying with the stones that the rest of us are using. If $ is an issue look into lapping film.
Yes, I am looking at going to at least 8000 grit, preferably 12000, as I have some straight razors that are currently sharpened on film. It seems like a good time to consider replacing the films with stones if they won't break the bank.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom