What's new

Knife Roll

In two weeks I'm starting a new job as a prep cook/ pantry cook/ soup & stock cook / whatever needs to be done around the restaurant cook. This isn't my first rodeo as I worked as a pantry cook at a small French restaurant for a year back in the day. But all of my current knives are burnt out and even if I had them sharpened, SWMBO would be pretty upset if I took all of the kitchen knives. So it was time to invest in some new knives, and to also upgrade my old pathetic knife roll to something sturdy.

Here's the set up that I decided on:
I'm a big fan of the Professional S series by Zwilling J. A. Henckels, for the following reasons.
The bolsters(French for pillow) are thick and defined, which gives your thumb and pointer finger something to wrap around.
The handles have a heft to them, yet are still on the small side which makes it easy to wrap your hand around and easy to control.
The balance is superb, All of these knives will balance on a single finger with ease. The importance of a wall balanced tool is that it becomes an extension of your arm and hand, thus not wearing you out.

8" chef's knife
General use, great for breaking down most veggies(halving, chopping, dicing, mincing.) and cutting odd things like cold cakes.

7" Santoku
Great for slicing. Tomatos, onions, avocados ect.

8" Bread knife
Slicing croissants in half, properly cutting baguettes, and cutting wraps and sandwiches in half.

5.5" Boning knife
(This one is new to me, but when I saw "protein fabrication" listed in my job description I knew it would be important.)
Boning knives are fantastic for two purposes, removing bones from a whole chicken/cut of beef, and precisely slicing meat into either perfect cutlets or slices.

4" Paring knife
Intricate cuts that require great detail like turning a grapefruit into supremes, or any cutting that you would do while holding the object in your non knife hand, peeling a lemon for example.

tempImageIMpec8.png
tempImageTzw56H.png
tempImagebTODXz.png

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
That's a lovely roll and fantastic knives.

I gotta tell you, though. I used Henckels in my kitchen for over 20 years before switching to Victorinox Fibrox knives about 4 years ago. I have not looked back. Those things are workhorses that punch far, far above their price point. I know pros that also swear by them.

I have the wusthof versions of all those knives in my kitchen and love them. I'd just be worried expensive german knives would have the tendency to walk away in a commercial kitchen.

That's a lovely roll and fantastic knives.

I gotta tell you, though. I used Henckels in my kitchen for over 20 years before switching to Victorinox Fibrox knives about 4 years ago. I have not looked back. Those things are workhorses that punch far, far above their price point. I know pros that also swear by them.

Thank you,

I agree that there are a lot of underrated kitchen knives out there. The most impressive people in the kitchen that I've met didn't give a shave about their knives. And the most impressive cook that I worked with rocked a $20 Kitchen Aid santoku. He would cut up entire beef filet's and nail the 8oz mark every time.

I have the wusthof versions of all those knives in my kitchen and love them. I'd just be worried expensive german knives would have the tendency to walk away in a commercial kitchen.

Wusthof makes some lovely knives, I have a cheese knife from them that has always impressed me.
I've thought about the knives walking away and I feel a bit torn about where to rest my opinion. On one hand, this kitchen is a really unique situation and not your typical restaurant in a city. I like to think that we're all there for reasons other than just making money and will have a mutual respect for each other. On the other hand I feel like I need to keep an obsessively close eye on them and not leave them sitting around ever. I have also considered stamping my initials into the blades... I thought about bringing some not so great knives to this job, but I think I would regret it and wish I would have brought tools that I enjoy using. I think the middle way is to keep an eye on them, but not become paranoid over them.

I suspect they cared a great deal about their knives ... in terms of maintaining a sharp edge ... but didn't care about the bragging rights of having a posh brand.

You would assume so, but they really didn't care. I remember meeting the head chef for a fancy restaurant on a private golf course and he kept all of his tools including his knives loosely rattling around inside of a legit tool box. I even asked him about the poor knives getting banged up and he said something about how it didn't matter since he would just be whacking up cases of carrots.

In a way knives in the kitchen is much akin to razors here at B&B. Yeah you can get by with a $20 razor and some .10c blades. But you might really enjoy the shaving experience if you invested in a tool that you looked forward to using.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I have cooked in professional kitchens and I cook at home. In professional kitchens you want knives that will hold their edge, will not wear you out, and will not "walk off." At home you can enjoy a fine edged Japanese blade and not worry about chipping it because you were rushing. It is two totally different worlds. The OP's kit is on the high end of kits that won't immediately disappear in a big kitchen. Solid stuff. I've used Victorinox, Dexter, Henckels, and others. Those Henckels are really nice knives. The only different thing I'd do is ten inch chef knife. The extra length really makes the work go faster. I just got a boning knife and kick myself for not doing it sooner. It makes breaking down a chicken easier and yields prettier cuts.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Looks like a great knife roll to me. Keep in mind that these are your tools and they can make your day much more productive and enjoyable if they're the right ones. I'd throw in a couple basics like a peeler you're always struggling to find or that fish spatula that feels perfect in your hand. Otherwise I think it's important to keep in mind that there is a balance that you will find over time. My knife roll as a cook was different than it was as a chef. I do think that everyone should be provided with the tools they need without having to bring their own stuff in. Regardless, keep an eye on your stuff and remember that if it's out it may be "up for grabs". There is little in life that is more infuriating than turning a corner and seeing your Shun being used as a can opener. +1 on adding a bigger chef's knife to your kit. As a prep cook you'll be doing a lot of work and those extra couple inches will reduce fatigue significantly. Good luck and don't hesitate to share where you're at. We could all use a good bite from time to time.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Nice kit . . . everybody else please repeat after me . . . we do not need or want any new knives . . . . we have no more room in our drawers . . . .

Nope. Miserable fail.

We all need some worn out knives for the "I forgot / don't have" dolts.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I'm a big fan of the Professional S series by Zwilling J. A. Henckels

Me too. Back in the day, they were what I bought to establish a set of proper kitchen knives to replace hand-me-down cheapies and dollar store knives. Loved them, and still do (even if I love my Japanese ones even more now!)

8" Bread knife
Slicing croissants in half, properly cutting baguettes, and cutting wraps and sandwiches in half.

I probably could have bought fewer knives and saved a few hundred dollars, but no biggie. But the one that stands out to me most is the bread knife. Yes I bought one. Yes it's a fantastic knife.

But ...

It's just bread. I can slice it as easily and as well with a $20 cheap-o. Now, I have "the set" and they look great in my oak knife block on the counter, but ... if there's a place where saving money make sense, it's the bread knife.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
if there's a place where saving money make sense, it's the bread knife.

That's very true. My bread knife for nearly twenty years was the one that came with the bread machine I bought in the late '90s. It was anything but premium, but it did a fine job.

The one I have now was part of the Victorinox set I bought. I actually debated whether to get the set because I was happy with my bread knife, but the set was just too good of a deal. They were essentially paying me a few bucks to get the bread knife. It is better, so I'm happy to have it, but I could have lived just fine without it. I can't see any reason why I would ever replace it except under similar circumstances.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
The one I have now was part of the Victorinox set I bought. I actually debated whether to get the set because I was happy with my bread knife, but the set was just too good of a deal. They were essentially paying me a few bucks to get the bread knife. It is better, so I'm happy to have it, but I could have lived just fine without it. I can't see any reason why I would ever replace it except under similar circumstances.

The one I have I bought on its own when I was young and stupid. Hopefully it was on sale.

Top Bottom