What's new

Knife Making

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I did make a couple on a three day course several years ago. Still going strong.

IMG_20190403_001334_1600_1200.jpg

IMG_20170728_223945_edit_1067_800.jpg

IMG_20181029_101515_edit_1067_800.jpg

The wood handled one, I did the sheath for. I did the rope work on the the other, but it was then sent away for a custom sheath by someone far more talented than me.
Gotcha. They’re both really nice looking sheaths. I’d hesitate to add another thing to learn right now but I will eventually try one. I like kydex, it’s really utilitarian and requires no care at all but some knives just look better with leather.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
That is some quality knotting work. Ashley's Book of Knots?

Thanks. No, the handle was something I came up with myself, and used six strands, three on each side. Each strand runs from one side, round to the other, through the brad, and back again to the braid on the other side. The lanyard bit and turks knot was devised from various tutorials in The Marlinspike Sailor book.

Thanks . . . I'm a past Scout Leader. If you ever want to start using cordage as part of your handles, I would highly recommend you pick up a copy. It's a pricey tome, unless you can find a used one, but it is an incredible resource. Would not surprise me to discover the book you mentioned used Ashley's as it's reference material.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Thanks . . . I'm a past Scout Leader. If you ever want to start using cordage as part of your handles, I would highly recommend you pick up a copy. It's a pricey tome, unless you can find a used one, but it is an incredible resource. Would not surprise me to discover the book you mentioned used Ashley's as it's reference material.

Likewise with the Marlinspike Sailor. Chest beckets, lanyards, mats, ladder, and all manner of other decorative and functional ropeworks and canvas work.

Top Bottom