Knife and Edged Tools Acquisions

Legion

Staff member
Courtesy of our man in London ^

IMG_7345.jpeg

20230525_165536.jpg
295529638_470461411159006_5263919080491302572_n_1100x.jpg
296396182_887497195543373_8032459481843153485_n_1100x.jpg

My new Japanese "Petty" - "TSUNEHISA AS KUROCHI TSUCHIME 135MM PETTY". San Mai style blade. Stainless cladding on Aogami Super Steel. The blade came etched, so you can clearly see the border between the stainless and carbon steel.

Blade is 135mm in length, 1.98mm spine, 29mm heel height. It came 'hair popp'n' sharp, but after a couple of swipes on the 'Green Oxide' infused Strop, it was scary sharp.

Handle is 2-piece wood, oval in shape. Attractive and comfortable.

This is my 3rd purchase from WWW.TokushuKnife.com and I'm very pleased.

b/r

ON_1

Mrs Scandalous wants to make a wattle fence (woven branches) for the garden. I told her I'd need a hatchet. She's full blooded Finn so of course she got a Fiskars. This little hatchet made short work of cutting a bunch of palm-diameter branches and saplings for the posts. Brought a little coticule and a bucket of water with me and it takes and holds an edge real nicely.
20230528_153051.jpg

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Mrs Scandalous wants to make a wattle fence (woven branches) for the garden. I told her I'd need a hatchet. She's full blooded Finn so of course she got a Fiskars. This little hatchet made short work of cutting a bunch of palm-diameter branches and saplings for the posts. Brought a little coticule and a bucket of water with me and it takes and holds an edge real nicely.
View attachment 1661830

I want one of those.

Steve56

Yamashin 175mm (actually about 172) White #1 Bunka, a heavier, ‘cleaverish‘ knife almost twice as thick as the R2 Shibatas above the heel. Should be good for heavier work, and for under $100 who can complain? It needs some TLC as most cheap knives do, but no problem, just a nice afternoon job. It’s fairly thick down to the grind, which is fine for heavier work.

IMG_8618.jpeg

Shibata 185mm bunka in today to accompany the 130mm ko bunka. It’s close to my 10-year old Takeda funayuki in size, and the TF is a favorite knife. And the wild olive stand for them both from an Etsy seller in the Ukraine.

View attachment 1671625

Yamashin 175mm (actually about 172) White #1 Bunka, a heavier, ‘cleaverish‘ knife almost twice as thick as the R2 Shibatas above the heel. Should be good for heavier work, and for under $100 who can complain? It needs some TLC as most cheap knives do, but no problem, just a nice afternoon job. It’s fairly thick down to the grind, which is fine for heavier work.

View attachment 1672052

And soon Steve will own ALL THE BUNKAS IN THE WORLD!!!

Steve56

It’s a popular shape right now. I like the ‘pointy’ nose too.

So I volunteered to sharpen my sister’s knives. But she needed something to use while I was working on them, so I mailed her some back drawer stuff, and one of my daily drivers, a 90mm Tojiro DP petty. Shouldn’t have been surprised I guess when I returned her knives and she asked if she could keep the Tojiro. Time to go petty shopping I thought! I ended up with two knives. First I decided to go upscale on my regular petty. I also have a 120mm Watanabe Blue #2 petty, but I find that petty’s get used a lot for quick simple jobs, like slicing off a piece of lemon for a drink, so it is really convenient for them to be stainless. I don’t want to spend more time washing the knife than I do using it, which is often the case with the carbon steel petty. I ended up with a Nigara SG2 95mm tsuchime finish - 3 times the cost of the Tojiro, but hey, I wanted to splurge a little.

Then as an experiment, I also got the Tojiro DP bird’s beak petty. I’ve never owned this pattern before. Got an avocado ripening right now in my kitchen and I plan to try the bird’s beak on it within the week.

IMG_1959.jpeg
IMG_1960.jpeg
IMG_1961.jpeg

Here are couple for ya @ChefJohnBoy-ardee (you do a lot of fish cookery, right?)...

I acquired these by virtue of some extreme generosity of a member on KKF, who often searches out great deals on Japanese auction sites, restores or sorts them out, and then sells on for the same price or less than he paid originally. Just for the love of the game.

If you buy old or NOS single bevel slicing knives like these they almost invariably need straightening and sorting out so that the ura makes proper contact with the stone. Which isn't all that easy to do well. I received these knives restored and sharpened at a level easily that of a professional knife sharpener with a deep understanding of Japanese single bevel knives. Just the work done on them alone would normally cost what he was asking for the knives.*

Both of these are probably white paper steel. I don't know the makers, but shouldn't be too difficult to find out. The Takohiki in particular has some signs that might indicate it's quite posh; beautifully engraved kanji and a lovely red marbled horn ferrule, which is quite rare in terms of colouration, in fact it's the only one I've ever had.

---

270mm Yanagiba
6AF220B3-0214-4F72-A3E2-2479E9FB7CA1.jpeg

91EBA8DE-E680-4CD0-A7D5-AD3FACB8347C.jpeg

20E50710-764A-4CB9-9946-59C1087F6A95.jpeg

270mm Takohiki
D91E43A5-63D2-4995-AB7E-84E8C9A47EE2.jpeg

3A1935D2-7D3F-46F6-B65F-461487C71423.jpeg

A19394C5-CDCE-41F2-A3F7-3BD1F7A335C4.jpeg

5B71D34B-55B1-4941-8BEE-34D7A30EEB4A.jpeg

* Which was $75 and $55 respectively(!) Though I gave him more, because he's a very nice person and those prices were frankly absurd.

Here’s an interesting thing. This is James from K&S writing about the relative scarcity and desirability of different colours in the buffalo horn used for ferrules on Japanese knife handles. As he says - the ‘red marbled’ type on my Takohiki above is one of the rarest, and apparently most highly sought after.

Here are couple for ya @ChefJohnBoy-ardee (you do a lot of fish cookery, right?)...

I acquired these by virtue of some extreme generosity of a member on KKF, who often searches out great deals on Japanese auction sites, restores or sorts them out, and then sells on for the same price or less than he paid originally. Just for the love of the game.

If you buy old or NOS single bevel slicing knives like these they almost invariably need straightening and sorting out so that the ura makes proper contact with the stone. Which isn't all that easy to do well. I received these knives restored and sharpened at a level easily that of a professional knife sharpener with a deep understanding of Japanese single bevel knives. Just the work done on them alone would normally cost what he was asking for the knives.*

Both of these are probably white paper steel. I don't know the makers, but shouldn't be too difficult to find out. The Takohiki in particular has some signs that might indicate it's quite posh; beautifully engraved kanji and a lovely red marbled horn ferrule, which is quite rare in terms of colouration, in fact it's the only one I've ever had.

---

270mm Yanagiba
View attachment 1683619

View attachment 1683617

View attachment 1683618

270mm Takohiki
View attachment 1683613

View attachment 1683614

View attachment 1683616

View attachment 1683615

* Which was $75 and $55 respectively(!) Though I gave him more, because he's a very nice person and those prices were frankly absurd.
Very nice! Maxim has been putting some NOS knives on his site and posting on Facebook. I want more single bevels but can't justify it. It would get used once or twice a year at most for the price of sides of fish versus whole fish.

Most of fish work is just salmon but I'll be breaking down some halibut sides on Friday. I use a Konosuke HH 270 suji and a 210 Yananigba I picked up from blue way on ebay for very little. Sadly it took a drop and needs a tip job before I can use it again.

Legion

Staff member
I drunk-bought this the other night.

The mighty Widder Original Buffalo Skinner. Either the name is meant to be ironic, or Solingen buffalos are super small, because this turned out to be about half the size I was expecting when it arrived. It would be a nice vintage kids rabbit knife though, so I'll clean it up and give it to my daughter when she's ready, if she has any interest in such things.

IMG_7443.jpeg

Three tools to get the bottle open:

a very old H Boker Solingen multi-blade in MOP, so many blades and tools

a more recent Robt Klaas Solingen Kissing Crane (big clip!)

a very modern Gerber for the urban/wild sommelier
IMG_4995.jpeg

Top Bottom