What's new

Klaus USMC

I have a non-USMC Clauss of the same style (6/8 round point hollow). It’s a great razor. Agree with the others use or don’t use, hone or not, that is your decision. I do have a few razors that belonged to a relative (not in such nice condition) I chose to clean up, hone, and use. But your decision, whatever it is, will be the right decision for you.

That’s a treasure you have there, a family heirloom.

Hone it or not it’s still a very nice razor. I have a 6/8 like it but no USMC, top of the line shavers.

Beautiful razor and family heirloom! Definitely hone er up and shave with it. Maybe reserve for special occasions.

Thought I noticed some minor/slight rust or corrosion along edge when I zoomed in. Definitely touch up on stones before shave with it. Use Kapton tape (1mil) if you’re worried/don’t want spine wear. That’ll only change edge angle by a 1/4 degree. That’s the thinnest available; electrical tape can be 7-8 mil that would change angle by 3/4-1 degree.

If you want to polish face of blade/tang to remove those spots of rust/corrosion/patina , a Dremel tool w. Cotton felt pads w chromium oxide wax green crayon type works great or diamond polish paste (both of those are 0.5 micron 50,000 grit) and can be easily found on Amazon. Just keep away from edge bc it’ll want to grab and roll over edge and then you’ll definitely have to hone more so than just doing a lite touch up! To get it shave ready.

Lay on scrape wood or cardboard if you want dremel polish near edge. Also work dremel in same direction as the grind from spine to edge or viceversa, not toe to heel. But I wouldn’t try to take off the rust to the face/hollow grind area w sandpaper and wine cork. Green chromium oxide wax crayon will also lay down a layer/film of wax that’ll help prevent future rust oxidation when used w dremel. Then light coat of mineral oil between shaves. Or leave those little character spots it’s still in great condition!

I have been looking for one since getting into straight razor shaving and found out about them. I purchased a week or 2 ago, looks un unused. I hone it and was disappointed. The shave was horrible. Went back to my normal straights. I lapped all my stones and rezoned using a King 1K, King 6K, Shapton 12K, and Suehiro G20. Then Stropped, horrible shave again last week. Cleaned my strop, re-stropped, and shaved this morning, wonderful shave! If you use it great, if you display it cool, if you decide to sell it please let me know I would love to purchase one for my Dad, a retired Bird.

And for those that served we still have the SGT vs COL conversations.

Top Bottom