What's new

Klar v. Klar Kabinett v. Gold Dachs

David,

I think the problem is that so many people have favorites they recommend. As a result, I've tried pretty much all the popular ones out there. I like to know first hand what the differences are, the only way to truly believe is to try it yourself.

My personal opinion, is that these are a whole different level than Cella, Tabac, and MWF. The big three that everyone recommends. Sure, they are ok. Nearly every vendor carries them. But had I stopped at those, I never would have found these. And as Lucas so eloquently stated about buying Klar: "My only regret is that I didn't try this amazing soap sooner"

David,

I think the problem is that so many people have favorites they recommend. As a result, I've tried pretty much all the popular ones out there. I like to know first hand what the differences are, the only way to truly believe is to try it yourself.

My personal opinion, is that these are a whole different level than Cella, Tabac, and MWF. The big three that everyone recommends. Sure, they are ok. Nearly every vendor carries them. But had I stopped at those, I never would have found these. And as Lucas so eloquently stated about buying Klar: "My only regret is that I didn't try this amazing soap sooner"

Yeah I guess it is really hard to tell, but it's more the lather than the scent right?

I have a theory (at least for me, YMMV) that tallow soaps are great for cushioning (some glycerin too) but give very little glide, which causes the blade to skip and more irritation. Some pre-shave oil will fix that, but if you use a glycerin-heavy soap, usually there is enough glide to not need the pre-shave.

David,

Ok, Nick, maybe I missed it. Do I have to put down the coin for the higher end Klar, or does Kabinett also give me this mythical Unicorn farts lather. :mad3: (Curse you, enabler)

Vlad,

The main difference between the performance of the two soaps, for me, is slickness. I find Klar Seifen lather slicker than the Kabinett.
The scents are completely different. Kabinett has a nice, light rose scent. Seifen is a rich and complex scent that is spicy, woodsy, with a hint of citrus. For me, the scent is as difficult to describe as it is excellent.

A good compromise is to buy both soaps. :smile1:

Vlad,

The main difference between the performance of the two soaps, for me, is slickness. I find Klar Seifen lather slicker than the Kabinett.
The scents are completely different. Kabinett has a nice, light rose scent. Seifen is a rich and complex scent that is spicy, woodsy, with a hint of citrus. For me, the scent is as difficult to describe as it is excellent.

A good compromise is to buy both soaps. :smile1:

Such enablers :p You need to give us 1 to buy, I can't afford the money and space for all these 250g blocks :p

I bought Klar Seifen, Calani and Dr. Dittmar on Nick's recommendation and I'm posting to say thanks for the excellent information. These three soaps have quickly become favorites. While they may not have displaced my favorite -- MdC -- all three are excellent and I find more satisfying than many other great soaps in my den. I think I'd put all three in my top 5 or 6.

I feel like I don't want to buy these soaps now...not because they won't be good, but because they won't live up to the hype/descriptions. Maybe I will just wait several months, not read this thread again, and give it/them a shot.

Ok, Nick, maybe I missed it. Do I have to put down the coin for the higher end Klar, or does Kabinett also give me this mythical Unicorn farts lather. :mad3: (Curse you, enabler)

Vlad,

The Kabinett is good. I'd say its in my top 10. But the Klar Seifen is my #1, and there is a noticeable performance difference.

When I bought it from Royal Shave, it was $32, even more than it is now. And I remember balking at the price, thinking to myself, for $32, I don't see how it could be that good considering I bought 500 grams of KK from Bullgoose when he still carried it.

But like Lucas said, I regret not buying it sooner. If it is an consolation, the puck is 110 grams, which is a bigger than many soaps. I think once you try it, you will completely forget about the price

I feel like I don't want to buy these soaps now...not because they won't be good, but because they won't live up to the hype/descriptions. Maybe I will just wait several months, not read this thread again, and give it/them a shot.

I agree with you, that many soaps are hyped well beyond what they deserve. But until this thread, there really hasn't been much talk about them. If you buy them sooner as opposed to later, you'll be taking a chance more so than buying into the hype :wink2:

Or at least thats how I'd like to think about it :lol:

Top Bottom