What's new

Kiwi Honemeister Shaving Video

So I have been sending my straights to Vadim for honing, and he has done a terrific job. Any issues I have with the edges, I put down to my newbie technique.

Anyway, I was searching for info on Japanese razors, and a video of his came up. It turns out, he has made quite a few... The reason I am posting this is because it is mind-boggling to me how someone can knock out what looks to be a pretty good shave in one casual pass (emphasis on casual), with the odd touchup. Man, if I get to the point where I can do this every morning before work, I will be pretty chuffed.

I get something different from his shaving and honing videos. As long as you are happy with the results, that is all that matters. It might not be your newbie technique that is causing you issues, if you are having issues.

Could you elaborate? I'm keen to learn and would be interested in other's perspectives about this.
I can only base my assessment of what have been shown in his previous honing videos and by the shaving video. I have no idea how the edge you got turned out. All i know is if my razor tugged like in the video i would need to go back to the stones.
In some of his honing videos he is using a microscope. If i had seen what is shown as a finished edge under my scope, the razor would not get near my face. Again, i do not know how your razor was honed.

If the razor is cutting fine, and is comfortable, then you probably have a good edge. If you get weepers and irritation, and the razor is not cutting well, i would try a different edge. It might not be your technique that is the problem.

He is shaving with a really dry lather and using quite a bit of pressure. Weepers can happen, but can also be a sign of edge issues.
We all have our own way of doing things. Judging someone just based on limited information is not fair. It is good to have people that are willing to put them self out there and share their shaving and honing process. Just know that if you are having issues it does not need to be just you.

There is allot of inspirational videos out there. Gary Haywood (who is also a member here i believe) have some nice YouTube content that can be really helpful.

Thanks @JPO for your thoughtful response.

There aren't many options down here, and I don't have enough experience to know where the bar should be set.

I've purchased "shave ready" razors from known good outlets, like Ralf Aust and Matt at GSG, and as far as I can tell, they were very much on par with Vadims: they all needed a full balsa progression before they would cut through the hair on my chin. I'm reluctant to attribute that to my whiskers being a particular challenge. They are old, thick, and grey, but a decent blade in a DE deals to them effectively, so I assumed it was my poor technique.

I'd love to experience a truly sharp, smooth razor; the sort I was shaved with by barbers in the 1980s, where I couldn't really feel the blade or any resistance from my beard, but that may just be nostalgia! :)

they all needed a full balsa progression before they would cut through the hair on my chin. I'm reluctant to attribute that to my whiskers being a particular challenge. They are old, thick, and grey,
Don't underestimate the power of coarse, gray whiskers. I'm not as old as you, but my beard at 45 is a lot different than it was at 30. I've had a handful of edges done by others and only a couple really matched a balsa edge in terms of cutting my chin whiskers. I'm finally at a point where my own natural edges are in the same ball park.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Thanks @JPO for your thoughtful response.

There aren't many options down here, and I don't have enough experience to know where the bar should be set.

I've purchased "shave ready" razors from known good outlets, like Ralf Aust and Matt at GSG, and as far as I can tell, they were very much on par with Vadims: they all needed a full balsa progression before they would cut through the hair on my chin. I'm reluctant to attribute that to my whiskers being a particular challenge. They are old, thick, and grey, but a decent blade in a DE deals to them effectively, so I assumed it was my poor technique.

I'd love to experience a truly sharp, smooth razor; the sort I was shaved with by barbers in the 1980s, where I couldn't really feel the blade or any resistance from my beard, but that may just be nostalgia! :)
Don't stop with just one balsa progression. After each shave, give the edge another full balsa progression until the edge stops noticeably improving. With the correct bevel angle (for your face/whiskers) and balsa strop progressions, you can match or exceed your finest DE blade edge (even a Feather).

Even with my economical Cnat whetstone, I can about match my better DE blade edges.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@silverlifter, to find out where the bar should be set, get a cheap Chinese stainless steel shavette for under USD 5 on AliExpress. Use that with a good DE blade on your chin whiskers for a few shaves and you will know what can be achieved with pasted balsa.

IMG_20211204_074002.jpg

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@rbscebu Isn't a slightly different technique required? Or do I not worry about that and just focus on the quality of the edge?
I doubt that you will notice the change in technique required going from a traditional to a shavette. Those coming from shavettes notice it more. The main thing, like traditional, is to watch your shave angle (normally a little flatter than traditional) and edge pressure against the skin (keep it light).

Give it a try. It should be within your budget. I'm just a poor old-age pensioner and can afford it.

Top Bottom