What's new

Kitchenaid Mixer Fix

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
First of all, kudos to Kitchenaid/Whirlpool for making such a quality product as my 6-qt stand mixer. That sucker has gotten a lot of use over the last 15+ years or so. Also, my hat's off for making something that's not only robust but also made so that the home user can readily easily maintain and repair it.

So, I was using my beloved mixer when the planetary assembly just fell off. Well, to be precise, the bulk of the planetary came off the main shaft of the assembly (the shaft that runs from the gearbox and drives the planetary). Fortunately, I was using the pasta extruder extension, so it wasn't a big deal at the time, but it still was a bit of a shock.

I did a little poking around and found that it's happened to other folks. It turns out that the shaft is just press fit into a socket on the interior of the planetary. In their defense, my mixer has been used quite a bit for the last 15+ years, but you think a little pin or something would be a good idea. I could replaced the whole planetary assembly, but the cheapest, easiest fix was to tap the shaft back in (along with a bit of JB Weld for insurance).

Since I was getting all handy and such, I went ahead and opened up the gearbox and regreased everything. I just came across people discussing doing so, as the OEM grease will (eventually) break down. That was pretty easy to do, too. Well, it became easy once I got the right size snap ring pliers (something I should have had around, anyhow).

Does anyone else know of some other maintenance I ought to do or repairs I might expect to make? I completely love that this machine is something a home user can maintain and repair without tremendous difficulty. I almost feel like I owe it to my mixer to keep it up and running well.

Nice work there. Kind of similar to what you've done. I changed the bearings in a Milwaukee Sawzall recently and greased it all up. Was going to throw it away and figured why not take it apart first and see what the problem was. It went from not working at all to working like brand new for about six bucks and twenty minutes of my time.

It's amazing the number of things I've been able to fix by doing a quick internet search. There are YouTube videos on how to do just about anything and, with the internet as it is, finding part numbers has never been easier. I've done a ton of auto repair, fixed the washer and dryer, air conditioning units (in the heat of the summer when it's impossible to get someone to come out), televisions, appliances, stereo equipment, pool equipment, water heater, water softeners and even the microwave (you have to be very careful with with this one as lots of current stored in capacitors even when it's unplugged).

If you're handy you can save a lot of money and a ton of aggravation waiting for someone to show up to make the repair. Changing a bad capacitor on the air conditioner takes literally five minutes and costs about fifteen bucks for the part. You're back up and running right away, when it would take a service guy three days to get to you and they'd charge you $350 to $500 to do this.

I enjoy the process of fixing things myself so I'm happy to do it.

The only problem I had with mine was the needing to replace the brushes. Mine was 27 years old at the time... It was the smaller 5qt version but the darn thing just keeps going.

Mine started leaking oil around the main seal after about 15 years. Found a youtube video on the clean and re-grease job. Works like new!

I'm not entirely un-handy when it comes small appliance repair but that being said, had this happened to MY Kitchenaid stand mixer, I would have utterly... Lost... My... S--t (pardon the French). Glad to hear there was a happy ending.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I would have utterly... Lost... My... S--t

That's about what I really did when that thing fell off. I'm glad my grandmother wasn't around to hear me say what I said.

Thank goodness for the internet. It didn't take me long to figure out that I could fix it, and it didn't take a whole lot more effort to figure out how. There was a great YouTube video on replacing the planetary and regreasing.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
“That’s the best kitchen aid I’ve ever used”

so the story goes how it got its name.

Great products for sure. But no idea on the maintenance.

Ive broken mine a lot in 13 years. I think I've replaced every gear in it and the planetary assembly. It is currently in pieces now and in the shop because the planetary isn't staying in contact and won't work under load.

As long as the big metal pieces of the body or kotor don't go out they are cheap to repair.

Is yours a pro model John? If so, maybe get a hobart? I can't imagine wearing out the gears in the pro that much. The home models with the plastic gearing to prevent burning out the motor... sure. Recently downgraded (gave my folks my pro and kept my wife's home)... and I baaaaaby that thing; but my father is still giving the pro a beating (10+ years of use and it was a refurb when I got it). I have to tighten the screws every time I visit because it shakes itself apart he overloads it so much... never lost a gear though.

If yours is a home, definitely get the pro. The metal gearing makes a big difference.

Honestly the only part I've ever seen break on a pro (not mine, ones I'd used at work) is the little metal clip that holds the internals above the bowl in place (it'll snap and the guts of the turning mechanism fall out into the bowl) (I think this is what TexLaw is describing happening?)

Last edited:
Is yours a pro model John? If so, maybe get a hobart? I can't imagine wearing out the gears in the pro that much. The home models with the plastic gearing to prevent burning out the motor... sure. Recently downgraded (gave my folks my pro and kept my wife's home)... and I baaaaaby that thing; but my father is still giving the pro a beating (10+ years of use and it was a refurb when I got it). I have to tighten the screws every time I visit because it shakes itself apart he overloads it so much... never lost a gear though.

If yours is a home, definitely get the pro. The metal gearing makes a big difference.

Honestly the only part I've ever seen break on a pro (not mine, ones I'd used at work) is the little metal clip that holds the internals above the bowl in place (it'll snap and the guts of the turning mechanism fall out into the bowl) (I think this is what TexLaw is describing happening?)
Most of my gear replacements have been after shearing the most common one to sheer and trying to get it to run smoother and quieter. I've given up and won't turn it above 4 and just expect to not be able to hear anything for a few minutes. I got it back from the repair guy and he said he didn't see anything wrong. It at least isn't skipping.

If I get a new mixer and have the wife's approval it will be a Globe. Similar price to a small Hobart just larger footprint.

I haven't worked at a place with a Globe that ever broke down. Hobart on occasion. KA pros, always but most of those places should have had a Hobart model.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
onestly the only part I've ever seen break on a pro (not mine, ones I'd used at work) is the little metal clip that holds the internals above the bowl in place (it'll snap and the guts of the turning mechanism fall out into the bowl) (I think this is what TexLaw is describing happening?)

That is what happened to me, but my model does not have that clip.

Globe I know from slicers, don't recall having a mixer from them, but I'm sure they're quality (their slicers are top notch and cost more than some people's cars).

Top Bottom