What's new

Kitchen tips

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
proxy.php

When I put my knives in their block, I put them in upside down. This way, the edge doesn't touch anything while not in use, and it isn't sliding against the wood every time it's taken from or returned to the block. It may seem a bit awkward at first, but it's a good way to extend the time between sharpening.

With our thousands of experts here, we must have a million tips to share.

What's your favorite handy housewife helper?

Last edited:
Salt and baking soda can take care of most things. Always have them in your kitchen

If your hands smell like garlic, rub them with salt and then wash them with hot water and soap.

If you burnt something onto a skillet, boil water and baking soda in it for fifteen minutes.

Never buy sets of anything.

I always read the tips page in my cooking magazines. Though I've never submitted anything, I'm often surprised that folks receive awards for things I've done or heard about. On the other hand, sometimes I'll scratch my head, thinking, "why didn't I think of that?"

Picked this one up from Tony Bourdain's books - keep a dry side towel close at hand all the time.

Wash as you go (a.k.a. work clean) - makes after meal cleanup faster and meal prep easier

If your hands smell like garlic, rub them with salt and then wash them with hot water and soap.

If your hands smell of garlic, rub them against something made of stainless steel (like a utensil) under warm running water. I don't know exactly how it works, but the essence of the garlic (at the molecular level) is attracted to the stainless steel and will be rinsed cleanly off.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Peeling fresh ginger can be a pain, but a teaspoon will get into all of the nooks and crannies and make quick work of it. It removes the skin better than a vegetable peeler.

If your hands smell of garlic, rub them against something made of stainless steel (like a utensil) under warm running water. I don't know exactly how it works, but the essence of the garlic (at the molecular level) is attracted to the stainless steel and will be rinsed cleanly off.

Did this tonight. (Used a spare water bowl for the cat.) Worked. You = the man.

Always use a Sharp knife. If it's custom made...all the better :cool:
proxy.php

Santoku style knives come in different shapes and sizes
proxy.php

Last edited:
+1 to the sharp knives

I recently donated some knives to a friend - I've been slowly upgrading - and he was happily surprised by how sharp they were.

On that note...invest in a diamond steel. Save your wallet some unnecessary pain...don't buy it from a kitchenwares place. Check one of the big-box outdoor retailers (got mine for half of the kitchen shop prices).

+1

Cutting yourself with a dull knife will do more damage than cutting yourself with a sharp knife.

I almost amputated a finger with a sharp knife, fortunately, it didn't make it all the way through the bone. I agree with you and still keep it as sharp, btw, because a sharp knife gives you more control and certainly reduces the chances of a cut. It was a freak accident and I should have been more careful.

Make sure that dry towel stays dry. I accidentally used a damp towel to pull a cast iron skillet from under the broiler. Another "I should have been more careful moment", but without the trip to the ER and orthopedic surgeon.

I keep bamboo skewers around both for grilling and for cleaning the gunk that seems to get into the nooks and crannies of the stove, dishwasher ect... The points don't scratch, but will break up pretty much any gunk from spills.

Side towels are amazing. They'll save you money too (as opposed to always using paper towels).
I keep a golf towel clipped to the cupboard right above the sink. It is reserved exclusively for wiping my hands after I wash them.

I keep a small bath-towel hooked over a drawer handle so it is readily available for drying dishes and cleaning up spills.

Before you start a load in the dishwasher, run the hot water full blast in your sink for about 2 minutes, until it gets as hot as possible. This brings up the hottest water from the basement, or wherever your heater is located, and the dishes will come out a lot cleaner.

Top Bottom