What's new

Kitchen Knife Whetstones and Straight Razors

Hello,

I accidentally chipped my straight razor on the faucet the other night. The chip itself is quite small, and it's about 1/16" away from the toe of the blade. I'm new to shaving with a straight razor, but I love it. I'm in it for the long haul, and that means I want to learn how to hone my razor. I've gone down the rabbit hole of honing videos and forum threads, and I'm just about ready to start.

The question I have is with regards to whetstones. While I have never honed a straight razor, I do sharpen my own kitchen knives with a whetstone. I have a Shun 300/1,000 Grit Combination stone (Shun 300/1,000-Grit Combination Whetstone), and I was wondering if this would be sufficient for repairing chips and setting the bevel on razors? I'm looking to hone on a budget, and I can't really afford a new whetstone right now. I am planning on using lapping film for the finer grits.

I'd really like to hear people's opinions, and thank you for your time,

Tom

I've not used Shun stones, but it is likely that the 1000 grit side would be OK for the chip removal and bevel set. I would recommend not using the 300.

Top Bottom