What's new

Kitchen Hacks

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Velveting chicken. Makes me giggle every time. Just toss chicken pieces with a little baking soda and let it sit 20 minutes. Rinse and pat dry. This is also often referred to as the "Chinese Restaurant Trick" and makes for very tender chicken.

Another chicken "hack" we use is to buy a big bag of chicken bones from our local Natcherl Foodz Emporium & Old Hippie Lifestyle Boutique. Our local has nice organic free-range chicken parts, and we've discovered that there's always a lot of meat left on the bones we get there. We've even gotten complete chicken breasts. Bag costs about $20.

Generally we lather it with olive oil and salt and roast all of it up nice and brown and then make and can a batch of broth. One day we were doing the roasting and we decided that it smelled pretty good so that suddenly chicken was for dinner. :) Made some veggies and dug in. Felt a little odd starting with a plate full of chicken bones, but the meat was lovely and there was still a lot left on for the broth. We've done that a few times now and it never fails to amuse. Plus we get really good broth out of the deal.

Of course I would never admit that in a public forum.

O.H.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Chef:
Here's one more kitchen 'hack' for ya. :thumbsup:

Make [Roasted] Onions In A Muffin Pan For A Uniquely Rich Side Dish!

Story by Karen Hart - MSN Lifestyle - 10 Jan 24

"Onions transform into a savory delicacy when they are slowly roasted in the oven in a little butter or oil. As their sugars caramelize, their taste mellows, and they become sweet while their texture becomes velvety and tender.

Among the best uses for a muffin tin is oven-roasting onions, as deploying this trick will keep the onion layers and its bulbous structure intact so they have more of a flower-like presentation when you serve them.

proxy.php

Roasted onion halves on a plate

The muffin tin is hugely versatile. Not only are disposable muffin tins perfect for transporting leftovers but muffin tins can also aid in the preparation of making handheld mac and cheese bites or effortless deep dish pizza. Muffin tins' deep compartments that generally hold muffin or cupcake batter are perfect for roasting onion halves. Before you get started with your roasting, though, you want to clean your onions and let them soak in water for about an hour. This extra step is going to make their taste and aroma even more intense.

Tips To Elevate Your Muffin-Pan Onions

proxy.php

Close-up of Muffin Tin

After you've prepped your onions, simply brush them with the fat of your choice. Butter or olive oil both are flavorful choices. Sprinkle the onion halves with a little salt and pepper along with some breadcrumbs if you want to add to their texture and taste. Then, bake the onions until they are soft, golden, and a little charred. Allow the onions to cool for a few minutes and serve them up. Using the muffin tin not only helps with the aesthetics of their presentation but it also makes for easy clean-up.

If you do not have a muffin tin, you can still make melted onions, just use an ovenproof pan that allows you to arrange them snuggly together so they do not fall apart. If you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for no more than four days. You can reheat your melted onions and use them as a dish alongside a steak or other favored protein. However, don't be afraid to experiment. Their rich complexity of taste is lovely atop a sandwich or added as a pizza
topping too".

Works Cited: Make Roasted Onions in a Muffin Tin

1691633957119-jpeg.1699840
“[Toque’s off to the one who is]...an innovator, an experimenter, a missionary in bringing the gospel of good cooking to the home table". Craig Claiborne

Last edited:

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Chef:
Here's one more kitchen 'hack' for ya. :thumbsup:

Make [Roasted] Onions In A Muffin Pan For A Uniquely Rich Side Dish!

Story by Karen Hart - MSN Lifestyle - 10 Jan 24

"Onions transform into a savory delicacy when they are slowly roasted in the oven in a little butter or oil. As their sugars caramelize, their taste mellows, and they become sweet while their texture becomes velvety and tender.

Among the best uses for a muffin tin is oven-roasting onions, as deploying this trick will keep the onion layers and its bulbous structure intact so they have more of a flower-like presentation when you serve them.

proxy.php

Roasted onion halves on a plate

The muffin tin is hugely versatile. Not only are disposable muffin tins perfect for transporting leftovers but muffin tins can also aid in the preparation of making handheld mac and cheese bites or effortless deep dish pizza. Muffin tins' deep compartments that generally hold muffin or cupcake batter are perfect for roasting onion halves. Before you get started with your roasting, though, you want to clean your onions and let them soak in water for about an hour. This extra step is going to make their taste and aroma even more intense.

Tips To Elevate Your Muffin-Pan Onions

proxy.php

Close-up of Muffin Tin

After you've prepped your onions, simply brush them with the fat of your choice. Butter or olive oil both are flavorful choices. Sprinkle the onion halves with a little salt and pepper along with some breadcrumbs if you want to add to their texture and taste. Then, bake the onions until they are soft, golden, and a little charred. Allow the onions to cool for a few minutes and serve them up. Using the muffin tin not only helps with the aesthetics of their presentation but it also makes for easy clean-up.

If you do not have a muffin tin, you can still make melted onions, just use an ovenproof pan that allows you to arrange them snuggly together so they do not fall apart. If you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for no more than four days. You can reheat your melted onions and use them as a dish alongside a steak or other favored protein. However, don't be afraid to experiment. Their rich complexity of taste is lovely atop a sandwich or added as a pizza
topping too".

Works Cited: Make Roasted Onions in a Muffin Tin

1691633957119-jpeg.1699840
“[Toque’s off to the one who is]...an innovator, an experimenter, a missionary in bringing the gospel of good cooking to the home table". Craig Claiborne
Nice! The humble onion is ubiquitous for good reason. I'll keep this in mind as the muffin pan is under utilized in my kitchen.

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Chef:
Here's a Breakfast Hack for you. :thumbsup:

Every go to a restaurant / steakhouse that serve 'gigantic / huge' Onion Rings...and you no doubt can eat them at one sitting?

Don't toss 'em away...take them home and make Onion Ring Toad in the Holes for breakfast. :wink:

proxy.php

Dax Philips - Simple Comfort Food - 27 Jan 14

"Let’s get started.

Ingredients:
  • 1 thick cut onion ring
  • 1 whole egg
  • 1/2 tsp oil
  • 1/2 tsp unsalted butter
  • salt, to taste
  • cracked black pepper, to taste
Simple ingredients, right?

If you are using a leftover onion ring, place it onto a baking sheet into a preheated 350 degree oven for about 7 minutes to re-crisp the onion ring.

When the onion ring is nice and crispy, remove it from the oven, and set it aside.

Heat a non-stick skillet on medium heat. Add the oil, and the butter, and give that a nice swirl. Once the oil and butter are heated through, add the onion ring to the center of the skillet.

Crack the egg, and carefully pour the egg inside of the onion ring.

Cook the egg for about  four minutes, then cover, and remove from the heat. Cook an additional 2 minutes or so, until the egg white has stiffened. Uncover and season with salt and pepper.
Slide the egg onto your serving plate, and slice into it (perfecto!).
proxy.php

The end result was nothing short of amazing. In fact, as I sliced through the first bite, I kind of giggled about how awesome this thing was. It has the great texture from the crunch of the exterior of the onion ring, a sweetness from the onion, and the perfect dressing from the yolk. I impressed myself to say the least.

proxy.php

So if you have any leftover onion rings, give this one a shot. Personally, I loved it. Hope you enjoy…".

Works Cited: Fried Eggs inside Onion Rings (Toad in the Hole)

1705453276159.jpeg
"Success is a lot of small things done correctly". Chef Fernand Point

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Chef:
Here's a Breakfast Hack for you. :thumbsup:

Every go to a restaurant / steakhouse that serve 'gigantic / huge' Onion Rings...and you no doubt can eat them at one sitting?

Don't toss 'em away...take them home and make Onion Ring Toad in the Holes for breakfast. :wink:

proxy.php

Dax Philips - Simple Comfort Food - 27 Jan 14

"Let’s get started.

Ingredients:
  • 1 thick cut onion ring
  • 1 whole egg
  • 1/2 tsp oil
  • 1/2 tsp unsalted butter
  • salt, to taste
  • cracked black pepper, to taste
Simple ingredients, right?

If you are using a leftover onion ring, place it onto a baking sheet into a preheated 350 degree oven for about 7 minutes to re-crisp the onion ring.

When the onion ring is nice and crispy, remove it from the oven, and set it aside.

Heat a non-stick skillet on medium heat. Add the oil, and the butter, and give that a nice swirl. Once the oil and butter are heated through, add the onion ring to the center of the skillet.

Crack the egg, and carefully pour the egg inside of the onion ring.

Cook the egg for about  four minutes, then cover, and remove from the heat. Cook an additional 2 minutes or so, until the egg white has stiffened. Uncover and season with salt and pepper.
Slide the egg onto your serving plate, and slice into it (perfecto!).
proxy.php

The end result was nothing short of amazing. In fact, as I sliced through the first bite, I kind of giggled about how awesome this thing was. It has the great texture from the crunch of the exterior of the onion ring, a sweetness from the onion, and the perfect dressing from the yolk. I impressed myself to say the least.

proxy.php

So if you have any leftover onion rings, give this one a shot. Personally, I loved it. Hope you enjoy…".

Works Cited: Fried Eggs inside Onion Rings (Toad in the Hole)

View attachment 1781103"Success is a lot of small things done correctly". Chef Fernand Point
Heck with leftovers. I'll make a couple onion rings so I can eat that. Very nice.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Not exactly sure if this is a hack or simply personal preference. Anyway, I absolutely hate, HATE apron strings that rub the back of my neck, especially when I’m wearing a T-shirt.

There are aprons that have strings that rest on the shoulders. I bought a couple from Williams Sonoma and am very pleased. There are numerous others out there and they can be quite expensive.

I’m also a big fan of cooking hats to keep my hair managed without having to touch it. Flat caps are cheap and plentiful. Wear it backward, wear it forward, doesn’t matter.

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Chef:
So you don't like Orka...it's the slime, right?

Well...this Hack is for you. :thumbsup:

By Nico Danilovich - Daily Meal - 7 April 23

"The Okra Cutting Trick That Eliminates Sliminess".

"Naturally, some folks may not want to eliminate okra's sticky substances. After all, that property is what makes okra so perfect as a thickener for recipes such as soup, where it binds oil and water together.

Indeed, gelatinous "mucilage" -- as it's scientifically known -- is valuable even outside of the kitchen.

1706209416209.jpeg

Numerous different plants contain mucilage, and because it's biodegradable, colorless, non-toxic, odorless, and tasteless, it can be utilized in agriculture, cosmetics, and pharmaceuticals, too.

Among culinary circles, it can also be used to coat fresh produce and make it last longer.

Whether you're looking to keep or get rid of the sliminess, though, just know that you'll find it inside of okra's pods.

The soluble fibers there consist of sugars and proteins that dissolve in water and become even slimier when exposed to heat. Knowing this enables chefs to slice the stuff out if desired, and thankfully it's an easy fix home cooks can do as well.

1706210135545.gif
Cut Okra Lengthwise To Release Its Slime!

Here's what you really want to do: Cut the okra into strips, not rounded slices. More specifically, cut okra like an onion -- with the top kept on so that it holds the strips and prevents any mess.

1706209498882.jpeg

Cutting okra pods lengthwise

Carefully make your incisions lengthwise toward the cap, rotate the okra about a fourth of the way, and repeat. Once you've finished a full turn, you're ready to chop off the top and let all the goo ooze out (via Food & Wine).

Lastly, after washing off your sticky knife and cutting board, cook the okra however you see fit".

Read More: Okra Kitchen Hack

1706209311420.jpeg
"Cooking should be a carefully balanced reflection of all the good things of the earth". Chefs Jean & Pierre Troisgros

Last edited:

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Admittedly I don't give okra much thought outside of pickled or in gumbo/jambalaya. Good to know, @The Count of Merkur Cristo , as I usually just pass it on by when I see it in the market.

My kitchen hack for the day is avoid the kitchen. I don't usually recommend this hack on a regular basis, but when traveling I think one owes it to oneself. I often learn something as a customer.

Top Bottom