What's new

Kiss My Face Cool Mint - some thoughts

In my continuing quest for peppermint-scented shaving creams, I came across Kiss My Face Cool Mint. I don't know if it's exclusive to Amazon/Whole Foods, but that's where I acquired it from. It's normally $9.99 for an 11oz pump bottle, but earlier this week it was on sale and I got it for under $6 at my local Whole Foods when flashing my Amazon app.

After using it twice, my overall experience is really good. The scent is very good, definitely mint but not quite as strong as my benchmarks AOS and TOBS. It whipped up a good lather in my scuttle, however I had to use about 50% more than I would have used with TOBS to get the same amount. The cream itself is "softer" than a TOBS or T&H cream, probably because it has to go through the pump. Performance was very good, with a decent amount of slickness and protection.

Overall, I really like it and will keep it in the rotation. You really can't beat the price as well. They also make a "Lavender & Shea" cream that I'll need to try. There's also an "Unscented", but what's the fun in that? I'm sure it's for folks with allergies.

1644426860391.png

Back a few years ago it was used quite a bit. I have some unscented and lavender. Put a squirt on top of a puck of soap and make a super lather.

They used to have more scents. I'm using key lime right now in my rotation but they stopped making it. Yup the liquid requires more product and if you don't use it, it will eventually dry out in it's container.

KMF products are available in organic grocery stores. Good stuff at a great price.

KMF was one of my first creams when I came back to wet shaving in 2013. I have both the mint and the lime and like them both!

Kiss My Face was a soap I wrote off early in my wet shaving experience as I just couldn't get it lather the way I wanted as it is a brush or brushless cream. Lately however, I've had to shorten my early morning routine and sometimes need to shave in the shower. I've found that this cream works great for this and saves me some time in the process. While the cream does not provide as much glide and protection as say XPEC, it works great and leaves my face feeling very soft and conditioned. For $6 you can't go wrong and I like the mint.

I've started using Kiss My Face Cedarwood & Bergamot. The scent is a bit like sawdust with another scent that must be the Bergamot influence. It's not as woodsy as others, but I do like it. The performance is just as good as the Cool Mint. These are excellent value shave creams.

Is KMF still around? I haven't seen it in any stores since about 2019, when I gave up trying to buy local and isntead purchased some online. It was very old stock, and I haven't seen it offered in any of the froo froo stores like whole foods, sprouts, and mothers since. Hmm.

Is KMF still around? I haven't seen it in any stores since about 2019, when I gave up trying to buy local and isntead purchased some online. It was very old stock, and I haven't seen it offered in any of the froo froo stores like whole foods, sprouts, and mothers since. Hmm.

I think KMF went through Chapter 11 and were acquired by some new owners. The company's still around, the products have some updated packaging, but they are not distributed as widely as several years ago.

It's available on Amazon.

Not peppermint / cool mint specific, but I've been using this cream a long time in several of the formulas. I find it simply fantastic. It lathers how ever you want it to, lubes like the best of them, rinses easily, and lasts a long time. I like the company a lot. I'm glad they emerged from a close call going under. I use their toothpaste too.

I was using the Kiss My Face Cedarwood & Bergamot a day or two ago and it finally dawned on my what my nose was smelling. It was a combination of plywood sawdust and peanut butter. Yes, that's weird, but everyone's nose is different.

I think KMF went through Chapter 11 and were acquired by some new owners. The company's still around, the products have some updated packaging, but they are not distributed as widely as several years ago.

My understanding was that they were bought by a large company, like Unilever or something, who didn't do anything with them for a little while, and then they were sold again to a smaller company, who has been trying to reestablish the company. But similar idea and I'm not an expert so I could be totally wrong.

My understanding was that they were bought by a large company, like Unilever or something, who didn't do anything with them for a little while, and then they were sold again to a smaller company, who has been trying to reestablish the company. But similar idea and I'm not an expert so I could be totally wrong.

I checked around a little out of curiosity. Looks like they were sold to a private equity firm, went through a period of major declining sales, then sold to another private equity firm a few years ago. They have new management since then and are trying to revive the company.

I have a fair few soaps but enjoy Kiss My Face. I can only find the unscented one locally but I honestly enjoy it as either a booster lather or just on its own. I convinced my father to use some and he liked it too. The only thing I would mention is to buy some sort of cap for the nozzle so it doesn't dry up inside and make it difficult to pump. I got around this by breaking off the back piece of floss sticks you buy at the supermarkets. Its the piece that you actually use as a toothpick. I shove that stick into the nozzle and remove it when I am bout to use it that way nothing clogs up and dries inside the nozzle causing problems.

I think far too much emphasis is put on soaps when most shaving soaps are more than adequate enough once you refine your skills. This is probably one of the better big box store brands you can get. Whilst I haven't tried Cremo I maintain that this one is good enough to achieve a great shave. I actually had one of my best shave with this soap and my Muramasa razor, I had used much better soaps in the past and had worse shaves so its definitely a capable soap.

It works well in a pinch with a brush and water and can do reasonably well even without a brush. Sometimes if I find I have missed a spot well after my shave and it annoys me enough I will wet my face slap some of this on my hand and work it into the trouble spot and quickly give that patch a pass or two to get what I had left behind. (I can't stand when I miss a spot!)

I would love it if I could buy the other scents locally too but it is what it is. I am just glad to have it in my bathroom.

Top Bottom