What's new

King Gillette Weekend

DE SOTD, Saturday, Nov12th 2022

Razor : Gillette slim adjustable, H1- Mfg 1962,1st qtr, well built to last with some care, good adjustable razor and a joy to use!
Blade : Personna red(3) sharp & smooth with great longevity.
Soap : Razorock "The Dead Sea", very unique bright scent with excellent lather qualities. The Scent is addictive to me over the years of use.
Brush : Yaqi "Atlantis" 24mm synthetic, Excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips, great splay scrubber + excellent lather painter.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG(setting7) + ATG (7)+ pickups(8).
Post shave : Razorock "The Dead Sea" with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results :CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + 1 weepers=:a17: excellent shave with my Gillette Slim with a Personna red blade.

SOTD November 12 2022.jpg

Have some great shaves!
very cool Ron.how things'':c1:.Gary.

That looks like an old Victor mug. Greatest coffee mugs ever made but I've never seen one with a crack on the handle (they were attached separately by a few select women at Victor Insulator IIRC).
yes sir.never noticed the crack before.after careful inspection with bright light and spyglass the crack is beneath the glazing..:c2:

Reactions: CCS
yes sir.never noticed the crack before.after careful inspection with bright light and spyglass the crack is beneath the glazing..:c2:
Hope it holds up. If it doesn't, they're easy to find on ebay but have gotten a little more spendy than they used to be. I've got 4 of the smaller size and 4 of the larger ones plus 2 more larger ones with a Navy sub hunter squadron logo on it.

Date
365 days of shaving319/317
(100%)
GRUME13/30 (100%)
NOCvember
13/30 (100%)
Discovery Blade AdventureBolzano 1/3
Timor 1/3
Eddison 1/3

Passes3 and touch up
WXTGGillette Slant
(NE-SW | cheeks and neck)
XTGGillette Sideways Slant
(NE-SW | cheeks)
(S-N | neck)
ATGStraight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Efficiency & Effectiveness
Quality & Comfort
8/10 (~20 minutes)
8/10 (DFS+)
9/10 (Tiny weeper)
8/10 (Comfortable)

Razor
Blade
Brush
King C GilletteTimor (1)DVH Synthetic
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Kox Bergamot
Kox Enamel
Cold splash
Nivea Sensitive (Balm)

Notes to today’s shave: here

All in all a decent shave for a sunny Sunday. Enjoy the rest of the day everyone!

Date
365 days of shaving325/323
(100%)
GRUME19/30 (100%)
NOCvember
19/30 (100%)
Discovery Blade AdventureBolzano 1/3
Timor 1/3
Eddison 2/3

Passes3
WXTG (2)CB Curve (1) Gillette Slide (2)
(NW-SE & NE-SW | cheeks and neck)
ATGStraight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Efficiency & Effectiveness
Quality & Comfort
8/10 (~20 minutes)
9/10 (BBS)
9/10 (Almost clean)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Gillette SA (9-6-3)
Bolzano (7)
Omega Super Badger
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Geen
Dutchy Bergamot
Kox Enamel
Cold splash
Floïd’s The Genuine (AS)
Nivea Sensitive (Balm)

Notes to today’s shave: here

Still in! First shave with my birth quarter Gillette @Curly Straight Adjustable. Nice in the hand, great handle and great manoeuvrability. Dialled it down for subsequent passes. The lower settings are excellent for ATG and I can see why Gillette went TTO (this is also my first TTO). Loading the razor is child’s play for sure.

The Bolzano performed wonderfully on this seventh outing. I did bin the blade as it gave me weepers on two consecutive shaves. So far the best of the Discovery Bunch in the long run, but the Eddison is more comfortable getting there.

Fantastic first shave.

Enjoy your Gillette weekend!

I have an AS-D2 with a new Feather blade on tap for a little later but Sunday should have a vintage Gillette up in the rotation. Either a NEW or 1954 Z1 old style SS. Both will get their chance with the Feather as I'm always good for at least 3 multi-pass BBS shaves with one.

Razor: Gillette 1910 ABC Pocket Edition #503B, Gold floral pattern
Blade: Gillette Rubie Plus
Brush: Sun Soaps Walnut/Maple w/Yaqi Two-band badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Noble Otter Lone Star
Aftershave: Seaforth! Heather Aftershave Toner
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
20221118_085342.jpg

Razor: Gillette 1912 ABC Pocket Edition #503, Silver floral pattern
Blade: Astra Superior Stainless
Brush: Simpson Butterscotch Chubby 2 Synthetic
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Noble Otter Lone Star
Aftershave: Pinaud Lilac Vegetal
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
20221125_082327.jpg

Date
365 days of shaving334/330
(100%)
GRUME27/30 (100%)
NOCvember
27/30 (100%)
Discovery Blade AdventureBolzano 2/3
Timor 2/3
Eddison 2/3

Passes3
WXTG (2)CB Curve (1)
(NW-SE curving to NE-SW | cheeks and neck)
Gillette Slide (2)
(NW-SE | cheeks & S-N | neck)
ATGStraight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Gillette EFBT with Blue Lasta handleBolzano (7)DVH Synthetic
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Geen
Proraso Green
Proraso bowl
Cold splash
Face wash with residual lather
Floïd's The Genuine (AS)
Nivea Sensitive (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
8/10 (~20 minutes)10/10 (Clean as a whistle)
EffectivenessComfort
9/10 (BBS)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to today’s shave:

Inspired by Doug's (@Rosseforp) post on the Flat Bottom Tech - Wolfman comparison I got my Tech out for an excellent Sunday shave. With three passes to an almost marble finish my Flat Bottom Tech reigned supreme and let me know that even though there is a new king in town, this golden oldie still has a lot to offer. I have to admit that the Timeless did an outstanding job yesterday and so we started the day with less stubble than usual.

The Bolzano was on its 7th run which exceeds the first Bolzano blade and it was super smooth in the Tech. No troubles at all and the Gillette Slides were simply bliss to perform. So far great performance of this Discovery Blade at the gracious courtesy of @Space_Cadet and @Grundi.

Proraso provided a nice mentholated chill with each pass. Floïd's stang a little telling me this was a close shave and Nivea put the skin back at ease.

Have a nice day everyone.

Date
365 days of shaving340/336
(100%)
GRUME December3/31 (100%)
Timor 2/3
Eddison 2/3

Passes3
WXTG (2)CB Curve
Gillette Slide (2nd pass)
(NW-SE | cheeks)
(S-N | neck)
ATGStraight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Gillette NEW Flat Bottom
Timor (4)
Kox Blue Synthetic
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Geen
Dutchy Bergamot
Kox Enamel
Face lathering
Cold splash
Floïd (AS)
Nivea Sensitive (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
9/10 (~20 minutes)9.5/10 (Tiny weeper)
EffectivenessComfort
9/10 (BBS)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to today’s shave:

Thought I would try the Timor blade in an open comb this time. The NFB is a great razor. Efficient and effective while simultaneously providing smoothness. I used the stock handle this time. That is a bit on the thinner side for me, but it makes the razor very nimble.

The combination with the Timor worked out pretty well. Two passes would have been perfectly acceptable. I just took my time and concentrated on reduction rather than speed so did a third pass. Whilst not going ATG on the moustache area and rather slanted still a BBS finish there so pleased with that. The harder parts of my beard ATG with the Timor feel harsher.

Face lathered again today taking time to really build the lather. Actually a zen side to this ritual while building the lather. The Kox Blue is an excellent lather maker at that so the shave was already off too a great start even before the passes.

Now off to do some gardening, get some soaps and pay a visit to the parents. See how my dad has been doing with his KCG I gave him.

Enjoy your day!

Date
365 days of shaving341/337
(100%)
GRUME December4/31 (100%)
Timor 2/3
Eddison 2/3

Passes3
WXTG (2)CB Curve
Gillette Slide (2nd pass)
(NW-SE | cheeks)
(S-N | neck)
ATGStraight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Gillette NEW LC with Red Lasta Handle
Timor (5)
Razorock 400 Plissoft
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Geen
TGS Furiah
Proraso
Cold splash
Proraso Green (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
9/10 (~20 minutes)10/10 (Clean)
EffectivenessComfort
9/10 (BBS)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to today’s shave:

Fifth run with the Timor and this time in the NEW Long Comb. A super smooth shave ensued. This razor is a very tiny bit more comfortable than the NEW Flat Bottom, but the Flat Bottom is more effective - 12h past the shave I feel more stubble than I did yesterday. Still this is an amazing razor with good nimble abilities.
Perfect way to start Sunday - well we’re heading towards Monday here already, but ok.

Additional shave notes can be found here

Top Bottom