What's new

King Gillette Weekend

Haha ... yup. I was kicking myself for passing on Peter’s nickel replate. So I found a decent gold one on the bay for a good price with intention to replate it someday.
I've never owned a toggle, someday! Dare I ask how did you like the Shavemac knot? I realize only one time trying, but initial feedback?

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I've never owned a toggle, someday! Dare I ask how did you like the Shavemac knot? I realize only one time trying, but initial feedback?
It’s not unlike other badgers I’ve tried. For some reason, I cannot seem to generate the same amount of lather as with synthetics. And I load much heavier with the badger. After the first pass, I struggle to get more lather; so I usually have to go back to the puck. I like the size of it — perfect for my face.

Gillette Pre-War (1938-45 w/triangular lather slots) Fat Handle Tech razor
Gillette Silver Blue blade (5)
Barrister and Mann "Le Grand Chypre" Excelsior base shave soap
Simpson TULIP 2 Super (silvertip) Badger brush
Reuzel Aftershave

It’s not unlike other badgers I’ve tried. For some reason, I cannot seem to generate the same amount of lather as with synthetics. And I load much heavier with the badger. After the first pass, I struggle to get more lather; so I usually have to go back to the puck. I like the size of it — perfect for my face.
You're a face latherer? I alternate between bowl and face lathering and I have no problem going back to the tub for more soap with either method if needed. I have enough soap to last me a decade, so I need to overload!

As for the size, 24/48 is my sweet spot. My Muhle STF synthetic is 25/50 and that is great as well. Anything larger is just overkill for me.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
You're a face latherer? I alternate between bowl and face lathering and I have no problem going back to the tub for more soap with either method if needed. I have enough soap to last me a decade, so I need to overload!

As for the size, 24/48 is my sweet spot. My Muhle STF synthetic is 25/50 and that is great as well. Anything larger is just overkill for me.
I am a proud face-latherer. I only use my bowl to soak the brush and rinse the razor between passes. Do you think badgers are better for the bowl latherers, Tom?

I am a proud face-latherer. I only use my bowl to soak the brush and rinse the razor between passes. Do you think badgers are better for the bowl latherers, Tom?
I haven't been doing this long enough to make an educated guess/comment about badgers for bowl vs face lathering! I have had good luck with most brushes, badger or synthetic. I did have a couple of badgers that were soap hogs no matter what I did and moved them along. They were mainly bulbs, which is why I have gone to fan shaped knots. If I need more lather, off to the puck I go whether bowl or face lathering. I know there are much more experienced face latherers out there who may have better insight.

Razor: Gillette F2 Black Rhodium Fatboy
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue
Soap: Murphy & McNeil Nantahala
Brush: Rudy Vey White Zebra Tulip w/Shavemac 2 Band Silvertip
Aftershave: Murphy & McNeil Nantahala

IMG_4925.jpeg

Razor: Gillette 1974 U2 Trac II TwinJector
Blade: Schick Injector
Brush: Omega 80265 boar
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: L'Occitane Cade
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman