What's new

King Gillette Model 102 Pocket Edition (circa 1913) ...

Hi all,

this is officially my first post here - though I did send a PM to a member. My father's "Fatboy" is what led me here - still gives a great shave !

This morning a good friend, knowing my recent interest in vintage Gillette, brought me a gift (consider it an early B-Day gift). From the code found on the razor - and using this site:

http://www.geocities.com/safetyrazors/gil_ser2.htm

I believe this razor to be a Model 102 dating to 1913 ? Can anyone confirm this information using the very quickly taken photos below:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Sorry for the so-so quality of the images (quickly taken atop my diningroom table) - and I hope that many images won't be considered "excessive" ?!

I believe the case is silver-plated, with a fair amount of wear / brassing. I'm not sure if the blade case is silver - though the absence of any hallmarks leads me to think it likely isn't silver. The code on the razor seems to fit the 1913 date - is that correct ? Any additional information anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Kind Regards,

Bill

Welcome to B&B!

That sure is a beauty you have got there. A fine gift I must say.

Regards.

Jakob

Hi all,

I forgot to ask, if Gillette was / is a United States company why would the patent have been granted earlier for Britian and Belgium ? It seems to me the patent would have been first granted in the country of origin - then again I'm not too knowledgeable about such subjects.

Thanks again and Kind Regards,

Bill

Hi all,

I forgot to ask, if Gillette was / is a United States company why would the patent have been granted earlier for Britian and Belgium ? It seems to me the patent would have been first granted in the country of origin - then again I'm not too knowledgeable about such subjects.

Thanks again and Kind Regards,

Bill

Welcome to B&B! As for patent dates, different countries have always approved patents faster than others. The earliest US made Gillettes were produced before the patent had been awarded and have "PAT. APL'D FOR" on the handle. Here's my 1904 Double Ring that I just purchased last weekend which has that designation.

1904 Gillette Double Ring

As for your Pocket Edition, it is silver plated as is the case and blade pack. They were all either silver plated, gold plated or very rarely presented in a gunmetal finish.

Thanks very much for the information and help - your 1904 is stunning (amazing everything looks so new !).

Best Regards,

Bill

You are correct with 1913 for the serial number. As for model 102, I'm not sure what that refers to. The case you have is considered a floral edition, but I believe the handle you have belongs with a plain case. None the less you have a very nice looking set there.

Thanks again for the very kind replies - as to the razor and case pairing, Mr. AsylumGuido kindly provided the following info elsewhere:

"I have found out that the Pocket Editions used to be specially ordered at times by customers and they had the ability to mix and match razor designs and case designs at their own whim. It appears there really is no "wrong" razor for any of these cases."

Kind Regards,

Bill

"I have found out that the Pocket Editions used to be specially ordered at times by customers and they had the ability to mix and match razor designs and case designs at their own whim. It appears there really is no "wrong" razor for any of these cases."

Oh wow! That is interesting. Something I will definitely keep in mind for future antique outings.

Thanks again for the very kind replies - as to the razor and case pairing, Mr. AsylumGuido kindly provided the following info elsewhere:

Kind Regards,

Bill

That's news to me, interesting however I find it hard to believe that a customer could call Gillette and get a mix as they wanted. If anything this was done after the purches was made and still more likely after vintage hunters found pieces.
Gillette did mix a couple diffrent ABC razor cases with the fluted handle and a scallop style handle but the other styles the Floral and the Empire where never mixed. Thos of coarse is in referance to the ABC cases and not the plain Pocket addition sets whis was accompanied by the old type razor.

There is currently a Pocket Edition on Ebay with the very same razor, but the case has a grid-like pattern case. Is that correct or in you opinion an unoriginal pairing ?

Kind Regards,

Bill

That's news to me, interesting however I find it hard to believe that a customer could call Gillette and get a mix as they wanted. If anything this was done after the purches was made and still more likely after vintage hunters found pieces.
Gillette did mix a couple diffrent ABC razor cases with the fluted handle and a scallop style handle but the other styles the Floral and the Empire where never mixed. Thos of coarse is in referance to the ABC cases and not the plain Pocket addition sets whis was accompanied by the old type razor.

Ray, it was a surprise to me, too, but I remember coming across that fact back when you and I were researching that supposed gunmetal razor a few weeks back. I'll see if I can remember where I ran across it. I remember something about how the Pocket Edition razors matched the cases, but customers were able to order sets in any combination.

Page 113 of Krumholz mentions that "there were six different styles of razors and cases offered, and some of these could be mixed and matched."

There is currently a Pocket Edition on Ebay with the very same razor, but the case has a grid-like pattern case. Is that correct or in you opinion an unoriginal pairing ?

Kind Regards,

Bill

I have also seen that same razor with the leather case set (see page 151 Krumholz). I'm thinking that this was a standard handled razor and could be matched with any case. It is also matched with the plain metal case (page 145) and the Shell pattern case (page 147). If you pardon the pun, going with Occum's Razor, the simplest explanation is that both your set and the one on the 'bay are as originally matched. Therefore, given these three, yours and the Basket pattern on the 'bay that covers five of the six case patterns all with this same razor handle.

Last edited:
AsylumGuido, I'm amazed and impressed with your depth of knowledge about this field of collecting ! Sure glad I found this forum.

Much appreciate your help, insight and information.

Best Regards,

Billy

AsylumGuido, I'm amazed and impressed with your depth of knowledge about this field of collecting ! Sure glad I found this forum.

Much appreciate your help, insight and information.

Best Regards,

Billy

I'm somewhat of a sponge when it comes to this hobby. I love soaking up the history.

You are correct with 1913 for the serial number. As for model 102, I'm not sure what that refers to. The case you have is considered a floral edition, but I believe the handle you have belongs with a plain case. None the less you have a very nice looking set there.

The 102 refers to the thinner #102 cap and guard. These were the standard on the Old Types until August 2, 1921 when the thicker #102A cap and guards were introduced. The #102A can also be identified by more rounded corners on the cap.

Page 113 of Krumholz mentions that "there were six different styles of razors and cases offered, and some of these could be mixed and matched."

Indeed but it states that "some of these could be mixed and matched" which was done at the plant but not as ordered by the customer.

It does say however that they could order the sets in Gold or Silver and in rare cases gunmetal. It further says that "engraving of the razors and cases could be had for an additional charge".We have found out since the book that the engraving was done mostly by outside sources and that ABC themselves did very few and only after the razors were shipped back.

The floral, shell,empire, basket weave and plain cases came in both the heavy style with clasp and at the end of their run came in the lighter, thinner style with the push button latch. The one pictured is the heavier type.
The last of the pocket sets was leather clad.

Indeed but it states that "some of these could be mixed and matched" which was done at the plant but not as ordered by the customer.

It does say however that they could order the sets in Gold or Silver and in rare cases gunmetal. It further says that "engraving of the razors and cases could be had for an additional charge".We have found out since the book that the engraving was done mostly by outside sources and that ABC themselves did very few and only after the razors were shipped back.

The floral, shell,empire, basket weave and plain cases came in both the heavy style with clasp and at the end of their run came in the lighter, thinner style with the push button latch. The one pictured is the heavier type.
The last of the pocket sets was leather clad.

That is true, Ray. I may have read a little more into that. But, the legitimate mixing and matching did take place, albeit at the plant, which would mean that it is very possible that Bill's set is as it was when originally sold and not an after market mismatch.

Top Bottom