What's new

king c gillette

is it just me or does anyone else have a hard time getting a true bbs shave with this razor because of nhow mild it is? i get no irritation with it but also not a bbs shave even though im using the correct angle. is it just my blade choice or has anyone else noticed this too? ive tried both the strangelet and the kcg blades that came with it. the kcg works better less discomfort but still not a true bbs

There were a couple of spots on my neck that I just couldn't get glass-smooth no matter how many ATG passes but it could have been me. That was my first DE razor and for $12, it got me started. I moved on to a Rockwell 6S from the KCG. Seeing YT vids of guys getting great shaves with the KCG, I can't say the razor is not effective, but the slippery handle was a no-go for me.

I have this razor in my regular rotation, along with my Rockwell 6c. The guys are right, the Rockwell we'll get you that bbs shave easier, but I find the kgc to be an excellent shave as well. It's the kind of razor you take some time with and really enjoy the experience, with a 2 or 3 pass shave.

It is a very mild razor. I got close to bbs using a feather blade, some buffing, and quite a bit of time and patience.

I have this razor in my regular rotation, along with my Rockwell 6c. The guys are right, the Rockwell we'll get you that bbs shave easier, but I find the kgc to be an excellent shave as well. It's the kind of razor you take some time with and really enjoy the experience, with a 2 or 3 pass shave.
My daily shaver for coming up on 2 months now is a Mühle R89 of which the KCG is a variant of. I believe Mühle makes the cap, but the baseplates differ in that the KCG is flatter.

I would hesitate to say that BBS is not achievable, rather that during my Mon-Fri shaves I can't afford a 3+ pass shave.
I'm perfectly fine with the DFS and DFS+ that this razor normally yields. I'm really fond of the KCG blades in this setup, but maybe try a BIC Platinum, 7 o'clock Black, or Feather to compare results.

If I am aiming for BBS, it's typically for an event or planned outing. In that case, I prefer the open comb of the R41 for my WTG and XTG passes, using the R89 for ATG / final cleanup.

Of course, this is all YMMV

I just posted this to the Frankenrazor thread:

61f9160c-61fc-4f06-895d-cf977b5d1053-jpeg.1410629

This is true. I don't use the KCG razor often but I did shim it once with a trimmed used blade and got a much more efficient shave with it.
Can you recommend a good way to trim a blade? I tried an old pair of scissors and got a very uneven result. Perhaps a bench grinder?

Can you recommend a good way to trim a blade? I tried an old pair of scissors and got a very uneven result. Perhaps a bench grinder?

I just use a pair of scissors and cut the sharpened edges off the blade. I think a bench grinder would be more trouble than it's worth and create a burred edge which would have to be removed. Maybe try some better scissors. But not your wife's sewing scissors!

I just use a pair of scissors and cut the sharpened edges off the blade. I think a bench grinder would be more trouble than it's worth and create a burred edge which would have to be removed. Maybe try some better scissors. But not your wife's sewing scissors!
You’re correct l, a better pair of scissors worked. Thanks! (No sewing implements were harmed in the production of this shim.)

I have the KCG with KCG blades now since December and I have been able to consistenly achieve BBS shaves. I had some more trouble on my neck/chin area. I started using the Gillette Slide and now the Four Pass Shave as suggested by Ron - this has resulted in amazingly effective shaves. Maybe not a full fledged BBS, but BBS enough for me.

This is true. I don't use the KCG razor often but I did shim it once with a trimmed used blade and got a much more efficient shave with it.
Out of curiousity: does adding the shim also add to the razor's aggressiveness or just its efficiency?

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I got close, but not without a last pass with simply water or witch hazel rather than shave cream.

Thanks! I am still a DE newbie (although the collector's virus is already starting to build up!) and so far KCG blades have been of great service and with great experience. I think I will first focus on technique rather than shimming.

Top Bottom