What's new

King C. Gillette... What have you done to me?

The KCG is not an r89 but a merkur style head. Heritage is an r89.
Are you sure? I have an 34C HD and KcG, and KcG is a way better than 34C HD for me. It is definitelly not the same head as Merkur.
Afaik, Merkur has the same head+ baseplate on all safety bar 2 or 3 piece razors.

Last edited:
Are you sure? I have an 34C HD and KcG, and KcG is a way better than 34C HD for me. It is definitelly not the same head as Merkur.
Afaik, Merkur has the same head+ baseplate on all safety bar 2 or 3 piece razors.

No it's not the same head... the only Mekur I own at the moment is a progress, it just ended up looking similar.

I really don't know if they use the same head on their razors.

KcG and Heritage are good things. The KcG shaves so similar to the Muhle R89 but has a nicer heft to me albeit with that smooth handle.

If I find the 34c cheaply second hand, I'll do a shaveoff. I know someone who sold a bunch of his merkurs... will ask if he still has the 34c.

KcG and Heritage are good things. The KcG shaves so similar to the Muhle R89 but has a nicer heft to me albeit with that smooth handle.

As I stated I used both 34C HD and KcG, and for me there was a diference when using. I'm interested to find out if KcG uses the r89 head because, if it is the case, I'll buy a Muele r98 to have a "spare" :D .

I too bought one off the shelf at the supermarket. I straight razor shave but maybe once in a while I DE shave if if I’m in an unexpected rush. I’ve always used my muhle R 41 for this as it’s the first DE I bought but for the last shave I tried the King C Gillette.
The word ‘smooth smooth smooth’ kept going through my mind as I shaved with it. What a lovely friendly razor. I doubt I’ll ever use my r 41 for a quick shave again. It doesn’t shave as close as my straight but nor did my R41 but for quickness and ease its great, it’s DE shavings answer to cartridges.

I too bought one off the shelf at the supermarket. I straight razor shave but maybe once in a while I DE shave if if I’m in an unexpected rush. I’ve always used my muhle R 41 for this as it’s the first DE I bought but for the last shave I tried the King C Gillette.
The word ‘smooth smooth smooth’ kept going through my mind as I shaved with it. What a lovely friendly razor. I doubt I’ll ever use my r 41 for a quick shave again. It doesn’t shave as close as my straight but nor did my R41 but for quickness and ease its great, it’s DE shavings answer to cartridges.

I favor smooth and mild razors. I own the classic triad Merkur 34C, EJ DE89, MuhleR89 + the King C. Gillette aka "King of Smooth".

While the Merkur is a completely different razor, the Muhle, EJ and KCG share the same DNA and you can feel it during the shave.
Yet they are slightly different:
The Muhle is just a bit more efficient
The KCG is just a bit smoother
The EJ places itself in between the two above.
The difference is so slight you really need to focus on comparative shaves to spot which is which.
Part of the KCG magic is also due to the exceptional blades it comes with. Yes they are expensive, still cheaper (and better) then KAIs.

If I had to rate them:
1) Edwin Jagger, "perfect for beginners and experienced shavers", it has a wide choice of handles to suit everybody's tastes and the plating is second to none. It is also the most "elegant" among the three.
2) King C. Gillette, the smoothest of the three: the main selling point is the price tag, for $13-$18 including a tuck of those superb blades you get a great razor. But you'll have to change the bulky and ugly handle ASAP.
3) Muhle, another great razor but the most expensive of the three. Also the handle, while beautiful, feels light and hollow and the grip is not one of the best.

Part of the KCG magic is also due to the exceptional blades it comes with.
I've tried KcG with diferent blades: Gillette Wilkinson Sword(india), Nacet, Voskhod and had great results. I even had good results with Dorco ST301, a blade that I had to toss at first use in the middle of the shave with Henson/Rockwell 6c because of tugging.

As I stated I used both 34C HD and KcG, and for me there was a diference when using. I'm interested to find out if KcG uses the r89 head because, if it is the case, I'll buy a Muele r98 to have a "spare" :D .
The KCG uses the Muhle cap but the baseplate is slightly different on the underside than the R89. No reason why the R89 head cannot be bought as a spare. It is not a Merkur head, shown on right.
Double-edge-KCG3a.jpg

The KCG uses the Muhle cap but the baseplate is slightly different on the underside than the R89.
I stated my afirmations in a wrong way: when I said "Muhle head" I was refering to head and baseplate. Sorry... my bad.
Thank you for clearing out. Now I know that the KcG base plate is different than the one on R89. Probably I'll try to buy another KcG, since R98 will give me a posiblly diferent experience.

I just went into Walgreens and saw this razor. It looks impressive. The brush not so much with the high loft and small knot. The box says the handle is made in China and the blades are made in Russia. St. Petersburg blades make a great value and will not scare away new users.

M

Member 113878

I bought a KcG yesterday, whan I saw they got them at a local drugstore.
Had a great shave with it this morning.
Not sure yet about the handle, but we'll see.
I usually prefer a shorter handle with more grip.

M

Member 113878

I may try the handle from my Parker semi-slant, which I don't use.
It's an hefty handle too, but more grippy.

I may try the handle from my Parker semi-slant, which I don't use.
It's an hefty handle too, but more grippy.
I like short handle too.... Yesterday i used the handle from a Baili victory tech clone, and I can't say that my experience was much different.

Just my 2 cents...I have both the Heritage and the KcG, and, for me, the Heritage feels a wee more aggressive. I really like the KcG blades.

If I had to rate them:
1) Edwin Jagger, "perfect for beginners and experienced shavers", it has a wide choice of handles to suit everybody's tastes and the plating is second to none. It is also the most "elegant" among the three.
2) King C. Gillette, the smoothest of the three: the main selling point is the price tag, for $13-$18 including a tuck of those superb blades you get a great razor. But you'll have to change the bulky and ugly handle ASAP.
3) Muhle, another great razor but the most expensive of the three. Also the handle, while beautiful, feels light and hollow and the grip is not one of the best.

I might have to change the above statement
Having experimented various handles with the KCG head, this latest combination is my ultimate daily shaver

SOTD2.jpg

The handle is from a blue-chrome Edwin Jagger DE83BL

I don't have a Walgreens or other Brick and Mortar source for this razor local to me, but I was out of town back in October, saw a Walgreens, checked the shaving aisle, and there was the Heritage. Felt I had to buy it at that point. It's a really, really nice razor. The knurling is where it needs to be, for me, so the grip was secure despite much of the handle being polished.

I'm an R89 fan, and the head on the Heritage feels identical to the Muhle. I have done a side-by-side comparison, so not sure if they're identical. But the shave feels the same: perfect for everyday use, with a great balance between efficiency and smoothness.

I gifted mine to my 18 year old son, in a second attempt to wean him off cartridges. My first attempt was a black Weishi TTO, thinking he'd like the gadget factor. But I think that one is too mild. So far, I think he's taking to the Heritage. (Though he probably won't tell me, unless I ask, if he's back to his cartridge razor.)
So I should be able to fit the Muhle 41 head on this handle with no problem ???

Top Bottom