What's new

King C Gillette UK launch

I've seen posts about this being available in the states, but that's the King C DE razor now also available in the UK . The razor comes with 5 King C blades and is priced at £20. Replacement blades in a lack of 10 for £5.

It's not a bad looking razor, not sure what the quality will be like though.

Last edited:
I've seen posts about this being available in the states, but that's the King C DE razor now also available in the UK . The razor comes with 5 King C blades and is priced at £20. Replacement blades in a lack of 10 for £5.

It's not a bad looking razor, not sure what the quality will be like though.
well, for 20$ don't expect nothing else than pot metal for head. finishing is great...gillette can't allow themselves to have bad finish in chrome. pretty good razor for the price....but DE89 is around that price...soooo....there is no point in buying gillette.

Sent from my Y7 using Tapatalk

They have launched at a very low price, including delivery, which is much cheaper than any Edwin Jagger DE. Interesting to see if this razor does get market traction.

well, for 20$ don't expect nothing else than pot metal for head. finishing is great...gillette can't allow themselves to have bad finish in chrome. pretty good razor for the price....but DE89 is around that price...soooo....there is no point in buying gillette.

Sent from my Y7 using Tapatalk

I have the EJ, KCG and the Heritage. Definitely an advantage in having brass threads on the Gillettes and or Mühle R89 caps. The zamack threads on my EJ are toast.

Looking at Gillette's website they say; "The King C, Gillette Double Edge Safety Razor is the perfect choice for men who appreciate a touch of heritage, but want to create a modern, sharp look;" and then go on to say "...the growing trend for statement beards has seen increased demand for double edge safety razors, with many men turning to them for their simplicity and relevance."
It is an interesting marketing position when you compare it with the costs of the Shave and Edging Razor in their "Style Your Beard" section. The Shaving and Edging razor blades {5 blade cartridges} cost £12 for 3 cartridges whereas 10 DE blades cost £5.
The zamack threads on my EJ are toast.
At least the replacement caps with brass threads are readily available. I understood Edwin Jagger were replacing them free of charge.

Looking at Gillette's website they say; "The King C, Gillette Double Edge Safety Razor is the perfect choice for men who appreciate a touch of heritage, but want to create a modern, sharp look;" and then go on to say "...the growing trend for statement beards has seen increased demand for double edge safety razors, with many men turning to them for their simplicity and relevance."
It is an interesting marketing position when you compare it with the costs of the Shave and Edging Razor in their "Style Your Beard" section. The Shaving and Edging razor blades {5 blade cartridges} cost £12 for 3 cartridges whereas 10 DE blades cost £5.

At least the replacement caps with brass threads are readily available. I understood Edwin Jagger were replacing them free of charge.

EJ is putting brass threads in their caps now?

I know Mühle has done that since 2017, never heard EJ did that.

Unless something changed last week, your only options thus far was to get another EJ cap with zamack threads, buy an R89 cap with brass threads from Mühle for $15 or get lucky at Marshals and find a Mühle R89 on the cheap there.

Last edited:
Unless something changed last week, your only options thus far was to get another EJ cap with zamack threads, buy an R89 cap with brass threads from Mühle for $15 or get lucky at Marshals and find a Mühle R89 on the cheap there.
Sorry, I may be confusing the cap with the Muhle cap which was changed to brass threads.
The replacement caps are still be sent out by Edwin Jagger free of charge even though they are the zinc alloy threads.

Sorry, I may be confusing the cap with the Muhle cap which was changed to brass threads.
The replacement caps are still be sent out by Edwin Jagger free of charge even though they are the zinc alloy threads.

I have said many times before that I always loved my EJ, it was my first, it is a very good shaver and never would have fallen down the rabbit hole if I didn’t pursue my father’s old 195 and Super Speed after he passed. I also may never have been a lurker here and later a member. Was very happy with the EJ and it is my wedding day razor. If his vintage razors were still around after he passed, probably would have cleaned them up, tried them, but also would have bought a new EJ to replace the other, in the very least to get the cap to use with my current one. Minus my threads, the baseplate and handle are still good as new on my EJ.

They have launched at a very low price, including delivery, which is much cheaper than any Edwin Jagger DE. Interesting to see if this razor does get market traction.

I would assume a lot of people that want to start looking at DE shaving will pick it up as its a name they know. I had no idea about Edwin Jagger, Muhle, Merkur, Parker etc until I started looking into DE shaving and likely would have went for something like this if it was available in a local pharmacy or supermarket.

Mine arrived this morning in time for my late shower and shave (I'm retired!)

A very nice razor for the money (On offer for £16 direct from Giilette UK) Just used it with the enclosed blades and got a really nice, comfortable and close shave. Quite heavy and I was expecting it to be a bit unwieldy with the longer handle but, unlike the Wilkinson razor I bought in Tesco a year ago, not so long that it got in the way! Good grip and nice finish. I've had an EJ with similar head for years and always got a good shave with it but it is getting difficult to open now. Need pliers on the end of the handle as it sticks.

Don't think you can go wrong for £16

Gareth

Now discounted to £13.40 from Gillette UK including UK delivery. That is a really cheap price for anyone looking for a three piece DE razor.

Spotted it on sale in Boots for £13.33 so decided I might as well get one to try out, although I have a few other cleaned up vintages to try before I get to it.

I haven't tried it out yet, but here are a couple of comparison pics of the head against an Edwin Jagger DE86 (the same head as the EJ and Muhle 89). The King C is on top.

20200825_160556.jpg
20200825_160523.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom