What's new

King C Gillette: rebranded blades?

I've used the KCG blades for the last couple of shaves and I really like them, very smooth, I think the smoothest blade I've tried so far.
I did a search here and found some people saying that they are likely rebranded Gillette Platinum or Gillette Silver Blue.
Has this been confirmed, or do we have new info regarding them?

I really like them and would like to buy a 100-pack, but for a reasonable price :)

I don't think they do 100 packs of KCG. But what you can do is buy a tuck of Gillette Platinum and Gillette Silver Blue and compare them yourself. If they are the same as KCGs, you can

I've used the KCG blades for the last couple of shaves and I really like them, very smooth, I think the smoothest blade I've tried so far.
I did a search here and found some people saying that they are likely rebranded Gillette Platinum or Gillette Silver Blue.
Has this been confirmed, or do we have new info regarding them?

I really like them and would like to buy a 100-pack, but for a reasonab

Ive tried both. IMHO the KCG and the GSB are very different blades. I have both and really like the KCG. However, at the risk of sounding like a heretic, I dont find the GSB an especially good blade. To be honest, it is just a serviceable blade that I may use if I am out of several others. The KCD feels more like a GPP or a Rubie to me, which I really like. Anyway, as always YMMV. :)

Ive tried both. IMHO the KCG and the GSB are very different blades. I have both and really like the KCG. However, at the risk of sounding like a heretic, I dont find the GSB an especially good blade. To be honest, it is just a serviceable blade that I may use if I am out of several others. The KCD feels more like a GPP or a Rubie to me, which I really like. Anyway, as always YMMV. :)
Agreed. I was less than impressed with the GSBs. But KCGs are some of my favorite blades. If you like KCGs I would encourage you to try Wizamets. To my skin they are very similar.

For me they felt different. There were some microscope pics here some time ago and can't remember if they looked similar to others.....check it out.

Concur

For my use, I never was high on the GSB and found the Platinum to be ok.
KCGs - I really like

The KCD feels more like a GPP or a Rubie to me, which I really like.
Had never heard of Gillette Platinum Plus.
Apparently they are no longer made, so that's a no-go.

Agreed. I was less than impressed with the GSBs. But KCGs are some of my favorite blades. If you like KCGs I would encourage you to try Wizamets. To my skin they are very similar.
I have a couple of Wizamets among my sample blades - will try them, thanks :)

Seems odd they would produce a brand new blade of quite limited availability....
That is why they are charging premium prices. The bulky packaging was intended for shelves in brick and mortar stores.
If they said it was the same as a current range everyone would buy online by 100 packs.

I wouldn't expect them to say upfront it's a rebranded blade in fancy packaging. But if it were, I thought the shaving community would have figured it out by now.
But apparently it really is a unique blade.

I’m currently using one (5th shave) and would say that it is not as crisp and sharp as a Wizamet.

To all that point into the direction of Gillette Platinums, which version - dark or light blue?

To all that point into the direction of Gillette Platinums, which version - dark or light blue?
I’d say they’re closer to the light blue Gillette Platinums. They’ve got the same sharpness but they’re smooth enough not to bite.

Although I have to admit I don’t notice much difference between old (dark blue) and new (light blue) Plats. They’re both super smooth and sharp but not too sharp, just like a KCG.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I was just looking at them again. I’ve resisted these so far. $7 for 10 is pretty repugnant lol
The mfg source is listed as Russian federation. I have read on other threads that they are rebranded. I believe it completely. No way Gillette goes to the Russian factory that makes tons of brands and commissions a brand new blade.

The KCG blades are labeled as platinum coated. That rules out the possibility of being rebranded GSB blades; they are not platinum coated. They could be Gillette Platinums, but I think them may be slightly sharper than the platinums based on my limited experience with both blades. They are supposed to be Russian made blades, so if they are rebranded blades that limits the choices significantly.

They seem identical to the Platinums to me. The best thing to do is buy some and see how they work for you before committing to a bulk purchase.
Like the KCGs I've only used the GPs twice, but it was a couple of months ago, not consecutively and in a different razor.
First KCG impression was that the KCGs felt a bit better: equally smooth but a little sharper (if memory serves me right). I.e. similar but not quite the same. Hence my question here.

I will do a 3rd shave with each of them in the same razor, for the next two shaves - hopefully that will give a clearer picture.

The KCG blades are labeled as platinum coated. That rules out the possibility of being rebranded GSB blades; they are not platinum coated. They could be Gillette Platinums, but I think them may be slightly sharper than the platinums based on my limited experience with both blades. They are supposed to be Russian made blades, so if they are rebranded blades that limits the choices significantly.
Can we collectively try to narrow down those choices?

As far as I know, the platinum coated blades produced by Gillette/PPI in Russia are the following:

Astra Superior Platinum- Although many like this blade, I do not. I like King Gillette blades, so I do think they are Astras.
Gillette Rubie Platinum Plus- I do not find them significantly different than the Astras.
Gillette Platinum- most likely candidate as mentioned by many

Although PPI produces many other blades, these are the only ones labeled as Platinum coated.

AFIK, the only other Russian made platinum coated blade is Rapira Platinum Lux. However, it is made in Moscow by a competing razor blade manufacturer, not by Gillette.

So maybe they are GPs after all.
Maybe the difference experienced are simply natural batch variations.

Either way I just ordered 100 GPs - I think they were similar enough to make it good blade purchase.

Top Bottom