What's new

King C Gillette razor $12 on Amazon

I have used the S&S a number of times to save some money(a dollar in my pocket is better then that dollar in theirs). I cancel the subscription the day the stuff shows up on my steps.

While I find my EJ89 too mild and just use it occasionally but only for 1 day growths, I'm tempted to get this at the $12 price. The only thing that worries me about Amazon is whether these are returns.
Received mine yesterday. Factory tape intact and no damage to packaging.

While I find my EJ89 too mild and just use it occasionally but only for 1 day growths, I'm tempted to get this at the $12 price. The only thing that worries me about Amazon is whether these are returns.

Mine came today and has the factory tape/seal in place, so it does appear to be brand new.

BTW, today they are down to $11.49 on Amazon.

Mine also looks new and was sealed.

It looks like a copy of the DE89, and holy moly this sucker is heavy! Seems like a pretty good deal for $12ish.

I just pulled the trigger at $10.34 on Amazon

That's an incredible price. If it's that low when I place my next Amazon order, I may be tempted to pick up another one to have as a spare. I was never expecting to like it very much and figured it would be given away at some point, but it turned out to be a keeper. The only thing I don't like is the handle, but that's an easy fix.

Yesterday I saw a pack of King C. Gillette razor with matching trasparent shave gel and 10 blades in a nice blue Gillette toiletry bag FOR $9 ! I have an R89, that shave gel is not suitable for my use, I have the blades also but didn't get around to try them. I was veeery tempted to buy it but I resisted.

EDIT: Mid europe store chain - DM market

Finally got around to trying it out. To me the shave is very similar to a DE89.

The strange thing is the handle. The top half is knurled, and the bottom half is slick. I prefer knurled, can adapt to slick, but this combo is weird. I kept feeling like I was going to drop it.

Do you think these are still being made, or are there just so many of them still out there that were made in 2020?

I thought I got a great deal at $20 at Walgreens when they first came out, as I had a $10 off Walgreens coupon. I mistakenly thought it would be a limited run (though they never said as such), and I got caught up in the hype.

BTW, I see them at Bed Bath & Beyond/Harmon Face Values on the shelves.

Hate the handle on the KCG. I quickly subbed out to a spare SS handle from ATT and it works well enough as with any R/EJ89 variant.

@NoahYoung860
It was the Gillette Heritage which was limited; but still very much available on the Zon. These are Mühle heads, vs the Gillette mfg heads on the KCG. I have mine mounted to a Vintage Thick SS handle from Italian Barber.

Hate the handle on the KCG. I quickly subbed out to a spare SS handle from ATT and it works well enough as with any R/EJ89 variant.

@NoahYoung860
It was the Gillette Heritage which was limited; but still very much available on the Zon. These are Mühle heads, vs the Gillette mfg heads on the KCG. I have mine mounted to a Vintage Thick SS handle from Italian Barber.
Everyone seems to hate the handle. 😀 To me, it makes it look like a Frankenrazor. As long as you hold it on the knurling, it performs well, though. But that defeats the purpose of making it so long.

It was my understanding that the initial run of the Gillette Heritage was limited, until they revived it.

I had heard that KCG is a Muhle 89 head, and also that it is not. The paper insert is definitely written in German. 😄 There is also the debate of what "handle made in China" means: some say Gillette considers everything but the blade "the handle", whereas shave nerds (like us) differentiate the handle from the head. YMMV.

Everyone seems to hate the handle. 😀 To me, it makes it look like a Frankenrazor. As long as you hold it on the knurling, it performs well, though. But that defeats the purpose of making it so long.

It was my understanding that the initial run of the Gillette Heritage was limited, until they revived it.

I had heard that KCG is a Muhle 89 head, and also that it is not. The paper insert is definitely written in German. 😄 There is also the debate of what "handle made in China" means: some say Gillette considers everything but the blade "the handle", whereas shave nerds (like us) differentiate the handle from the head. YMMV.
IIRC, the QC markings under my KCG cap are something like “G1” vs the markings of my Mühles as “5”, “6”, or “8”. My Heritage is a single “6” I believe. Then there is the difference in baseplates.

I mean all in all it shaves well, so I can’t complain.

dIIRC, the QC markings under my KCG cap are something like “G1” vs the markings of my Mühles as “5”, “6”, or “8”. My Heritage is a single “6” I believe. Then there is the difference in baseplates.

I mean all in all it shaves well, so I can’t complain.
I don't have a Muhle to compare it to. I saw in old posts on here that people were insisting it was the same head even though the bottom of one baseplate was concave, and the other was convex. It doesn't really matter to me, since I don't plan on getting the Muhle or the EJ89.

It has been a long while since I shaved with the KCG. I need to work it back into my rotation at some point.

Top Bottom