What's new

King C Gillette DE razor - first shave under adverse conditoions

Found myself in a local store today and tripped across the King C Gillette DE and thought "why not". Put down the almost $30 for the razor and 5 King C Gillette blades. I will review the blades in the proper place but here is my take on the razor.

Expectations: Not much. Shave with poor prep, Barbasol only, smear and slice. One XTG pass.
Results: Darn fine razor. The CCS was easy to get and the only polishing was along the jaw line, where I always have to do additional work.
Weight: I like a heave handled razor and this one felt excellent, good balance.
Shave type: Mild, reminded me of the Krona I sold a while back.
Handling: Easy, would make a good 1st razor. No feeling that I needed to treat it gingerly. Felt like I could have at it from the beginning of the shave.

Will it supplant my go-to flare tip (red)? Actually, maybe. I plan to shave the 5 King C blades with it and we'll see where it ends up in 3 weeks.

Last edited:
I also bought one recently since I had a 30% coupon for CVS that was going to expire. It's a really good inexpensive mild razor. Fit & finish is excellent.

The only problem I had with this razor was the handle. It took me a long time to get used to the large heavy handle when using my off hand. Had a hard time holding it. Even dropped it a couple of times. But thankfully that's no longer an issue. I'm sure Gillette went with a large handle so cartridge razor users would feel right at home. But the weight of the handle makes me think they didn't want them to stop using cartridges razors for every day shaving.

Considering it's price & the fact you can pay cash & your significant other will not know you bought another razor. It's worth trying. Plus you can easily returned it you hate it.

Not a fan of the handle at all, found it slippery. I do like the blades, except for the price. I'm sure they'll go on clearance at some point.

Top Bottom