What's new

King C Gillette DE just arrived for birthday gift! (thanks wifey)

Two shaves into your double-edge razor journey, I suspect it's an issue of technique.
Very likely. that said, my suspects came after i inadvertently touched one side edge of the blade to let it dry and i didn't cut myself at all. try this with a feather and you have an autopsy.

today second shave. Better than the first because i used an omega brush and soap. Not yet bbs but improving. Very oddily i still get almost bbs on my neck and still not on my cheeks. And i confirm these default blades don't really cut.

Just to be sure - do you have the razor assembled correctly?

If you are holding it neutral like you would hold a cartridge razor with the handle parallel to you face, lift up the handle up as you shave. Sounds like you aren’t at the correct angle.

Today a much better shave. I didn't change the angle, i used the same procedure, riding the cap then finding the point where the blade start cutting and then focusing of maintaining that angle for the entire shave. Maybe the other 2 blades were defective because thistime i could "feel" the blade much more and i had a near BBS with no nicks, no cuts. I'm a newbie but i can see it's not rocket science. and i feel my skin is in better healt, Not bad at all this DE thing. IMG_20200727_101932.jpg

That is indeed progress so keep trying to improve the technique. From what I have read those blades are excellent; possibly Gillette Platinum or Gillette Siver Blue. You don't come across many defective blades, it is good preparation and technique which will lead to great shaves.

it's on its way back to amazon. I'm really annoyed. When i receive the cmombined refunds i will order an arc5 again. too spoiled by the convenience and speed of a good electric.

wow, that took a turn. My dad was an electric user. But he always had a 5 o'clock shadow, no matter how recently he shaved.
View attachment 1131630

My dad detested electrics. He had a Norelco with two heads and he swore they were the best, but not good. I can’t even remember when he’d use it.

When he was on a nebulizer he used a Norelco triple head, but I could tell he was unhappy.

I used a Braun series 5 for an entire year in 2011. After shaving for 15 minutes every day and developed a shadow by 10AM, I went back to wet shaving and used the 15 minutes for a triple pass shave, as I had always been happy with one pass.

There’s no looking back now. I did single passes on vacation last week and it was dismal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My dad also used electric, Norelco specifically in the 80s when DE went away from most US stores. Thought carts were overpriced and he made the move.

I don’t blame people that decide DE isn’t for them, I almost gave up initially myself. If you decide to stick with it a solid 2 months, you’re set, if not, you return to carts etc. Technique takes a while.

I would have never guessed I would be getting 4 minute BBS shaves when I started. Heck, a few years ago I would never have guessed I’d be getting BBS shaves with every razor I use.

Top Bottom